$5 NLHE 6-max: Good aggresive-call play here?

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem $0.05(BB)
BTN ($5.40) [VPIP: 29.9% | PFR: 25.3% | AGG: 42.9% | 3-Bet: 17.1% | Hands: 91]
SB ($5) [VPIP: 19.6% | PFR: 16.1% | AGG: 25% | 3-Bet: 5.6% | hands: 58]
HERO ($8.50) [VPIP: 23.2% | PFR: 14.9% | AGG: 43.5% | 3-Bet: 5.1% | Hands: 8627]
UTG ($5.61) [VPIP: 16.1% | PFR: 10.7% | AGG: 25% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 59]
HJ ($5.81) [VPIP: 21.2% | PFR: 18.2% | AGG: 44.4% | 3-Bet: 11.1% | Hands: 33]
CO ($4.88) [VPIP: 0% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 4]

Dealt to Hero: K:heart: 9:heart:

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Raises To $0.11, SB Folds, HERO Calls $0.06

Hero SPR on Flop: [22.04 effective]
Flop ($0.24): T:heart: 7:spade: 6:heart:
HERO Bets $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 8.24), BTN Raises To $0.60 (Rem. Stack: 4.69), HERO Calls $0.45 (Rem. Stack: 7.79)

Turn ($1.44): T:heart: 7:spade: 6:heart: 4:diamond:
HERO Checks, BTN Bets $0.92 (Rem. Stack: 3.77), HERO Calls $0.92 (Rem. Stack: 6.87)

River ($3.28): T:heart: 7:spade: 6:heart: 4:diamond: K:diamond:
HERO Bets $0.45 (Rem. Stack: 6.42), BTN Raises To $3.77 (allin), HERO Folds

BTN wins: $4.01

Hello there, poker friends! The above hand I spot a very loose-aggresive player. I was trying to burn his range in Flop with strong play, then in Turn I got a possible flush and straight.

In River I had a King, but I think that he was strongly buffing or with a 3-of-a-kind or pocket paired with JJ-88.

So... what are your thoughts? did I play it well? What do you think the villain had?:mad:

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was well played, the only thing that I would have done is to bet on the turn to see the reaction of the opponent but everything went well. The range of the villain it is difficult to know by how he played the hand but it should be between an Ax or QJs maybe

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was well played, the only thing that I would have done is to bet on the turn to see the reaction of the opponent but everything went well. The range of the villain it is difficult to know by how he played the hand but it should be between an Ax or QJs maybe

Yes, I thought the same! His range and his poorly game does not help at all! I led me to think that he could has many possible hand and many possible bluff, and a K pair is not strong enough to call all in at R. Also, I was aiming a failed flush or straight in F and T... so... sad for me :(

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling is a passive action. Not aggressive. And judging by your overall stats you seem to do it too often.

As for the hand, it's kind of a mess. I like 3betting pre. If you're not comfortable with that just fold. K9s looks pretty but you're often going to be on the losing end of things if the pot gets big.

Your donk - call on the flop is also bad. Why are you leading into him? The ONLY way I can see that small lead is if you think you'll entice him to raise and you're going to 3bet allin with your flush/BD straight draw.

More bad play on the turn. He's not giving you odds to call for the flush.

Then on the river what was your thinking with the small lead bet? Was it some sort of blocker bet? It's very confusing.

Just 3bet or fold pre and save yourself a lot of trouble.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre: Against this guys 25%+ PFR from the BTN I agree we should be at least calling. I would have some 3 bets here too for players this loose and aggressive I think either call or raise is fine.

Flop: I don't like the flop lead. Players like this aren't going to fold to one donk lead so we will be building a large pot out of position where we likely need to improve to win. I prefer to just check / call down. We did hit this flop hard with flush draw, gut shot, and over card. If we do lead and get raised I think we should 3 bet / pile it in as soon as possible.

Turn: I think we have no choice but to x/c as played, but now the pot is bigger and we still don't have any showdown value.

River: This is another check / eval (call depending on sizing). Really don't like this river lead. Had we x/c all three streets we can likely get to showdown in a smaller pot and have the best hand a fair amount. The river sizing is especially noteworthy. It's 14% pot... this isn't really a thing. When we bet this small it can have the effect of inducing a raise by looking like a weak blocking bet. The story we have told by flatting pre, leading flop, x/c turn, leading river really doesn't give us many monsters. We can have KT but that's about it. Hands like AK, KQ are more likely to 3 bet pre. Smaller Kx without two pair are vulnerable to raises. I think this V can be pretty confident with value and bluffs here as our line is stop and go and looks tentative and not very strong.

Against this player type one of the most effective lines is to just x/c down allowing them to barrel off bluffs. When we push back, we need to be strong enough to withstand pressure and willing to go the distance. On this board we are only slightly behind hands as strong as AA (55% to 45%). I would rather bet/3 bet/shove flop than bet/call, then call a strong turn bet when we are now only 26% vs AA for example. Not that he has AA here much, just to make the point that if we are playing back at the LAG we want to either keep the pot small and call with showdown value or go to war. When we build a pot by leading twice and checking once it plays into their hand setting up a pot sized all in on the river that's more difficult to call down.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So basically peoples opinion about this hand is all over the place, and unfortunately now I will have to add further to the confusion, because I dont quite agree with anyone so far.

Preflop
K9s is a very standard defend, especially when facing almost a min-open from BTN. I dont see a tremendous amount of reason to 3-bet. We get a great price by calling, and we have many other better hands to 3-bet like suited aces.

Flop
You flopped a combo draw, and here I would actually check-raise. A donk lead will get little respect from a loose-aggressive player like this, but a check-raise might actually get him to fold. Which you want, because you are out of position with K high and a bucket of equity.

If he 3-bet, this hand is strong enough to simply get it in and then roll the dice. His opening range is very wide, maybe as much as 80% of hands, and he is probably also C-betting very wide. So the risk, he has us in really bad shape with a set or straight, is incredibly small.

Now instead he raise you, and as played I would still be in stack-off mode against him, so I would 3-bet with intention to call a 4-bet jam. When you bet-call, now the hand gets very awkward, because you are out of position and strongly dependent on hitting something on the turn.

Turn
As played its close to be a fold now. You only have one card left to hit, and he is giving you a bad price.

River
I dont like your small donk lead. It look weak and invite him to jam on you, weather he has it or not. As played its probably a check-fold, because a weak top pair is not, what you were trying to hit.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop: Call is standard

Flop: Donk this flop is quite bad. Facing raise behind I think you need to play it very aggressively. Against JJ+ you still have 50% equity .

This flop BTN could certainly has nutty hands like 98s, T7s, 76s and BB range is not stronger than BTN in this board.

I would prefer check call here.

Turn: Relatively a blank card as played and check-call line villain unlikely to pay off if you hit flush on the river.

If I check call flop, I would have check-raised here.

River: Don't see what you are representing with that small block bet.

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically peoples opinion about this hand is all over the place, and unfortunately now I will have to add further to the confusion, because I dont quite agree with anyone so far.

Preflop
K9s is a very standard defend, especially when facing almost a min-open from BTN. I dont see a tremendous amount of reason to 3-bet. We get a great price by calling, and we have many other better hands to 3-bet like suited aces.

Flop
You flopped a combo draw, and here I would actually check-raise. A donk lead will get little respect from a loose-aggressive player like this, but a check-raise might actually get him to fold. Which you want, because you are out of position with K high and a bucket of equity.

If he 3-bet, this hand is strong enough to simply get it in and then roll the dice. His opening range is very wide, maybe as much as 80% of hands, and he is probably also C-betting very wide. So the risk, he has us in really bad shape with a set or straight, is incredibly small.

Now instead he raise you, and as played I would still be in stack-off mode against him, so I would 3-bet with intention to call a 4-bet jam. When you bet-call, now the hand gets very awkward, because you are out of position and strongly dependent on hitting something on the turn.

Turn
As played its close to be a fold now. You only have one card left to hit, and he is giving you a bad price.

River
I dont like your small donk lead. It look weak and invite him to jam on you, weather he has it or not. As played its probably a check-fold, because a weak top pair is not, what you were trying to hit.

Thanks for all your reply, but I really think that fundiver199's reply is very wise. I didn't see a lot of reasons to 3bet at PF, specially when the villain put so much money. Also, I really think that my worst mistake was the flop.

That donk bet in Flop (and River) was very poor. Besides, x/r to then 3-bet and be prepared to call a 4bet, to then x/r in T is something that I thought but I really messed up everything with a bet call play.

Then T and R my game was even worst with x/c play... and donk bet in R.

Man, fundiver199, thanks to open my eyes. But still, thanks for all the other replies!!! I read and consider all replies with the same respect! :)