$5 NLHE 6-max: Fold on the river with top pair?

K

kGs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
General thoughts? I don't really have good enough sample against this opponent, so can't tell anything about his tendencies.

Anyway, I feel quite good about this fold, on these stakes raise on the river usually means one thing. But I want to hear your opinions, maybe point out some mistakes made by me?

---

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

kukulagosleep (UTG): $8.39 (168 bb)
DenWhite89 (MP): $5.52 (110 bb)
Bademan787 (CO): $5.00 (100 bb)
edi171717 (BU): $9.98 (200 bb)
clock2400 (SB): $5.37 (107 bb)
ZantyMolina (BB): $4.12 (82 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero (kukulagosleep) is UTG with Q K
kukulagosleep (UTG) raises to $0.12, 2 players fold, edi171717 (BU) calls $0.12, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.31) T Q 5 (2 players)
kukulagosleep (UTG) bets $0.11, edi171717 (BU) calls $0.11

Turn: ($0.53) 6 (2 players)
kukulagosleep (UTG) bets $0.36, edi171717 (BU) calls $0.36

River: ($1.25) 9 (2 players)
kukulagosleep (UTG) bets $0.76, edi171717 (BU) raises to $2.12, kukulagosleep (UTG) folds

Total pot: $2.77 (Rake: $0.11)
edi171717 (BU) wins $2.66

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the fold, I will take the same line

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your range seems strong from preflop and benevolent towards the effective stack, otherwise you could enter a bigger size like 2.8x; 3x; etc.
On the flop the range bet is reasonable and you should be prepared to call a raise that the V might occasionally apply.
The turn is a brick and now the draws of V have failed but we got one. At this point we expect V to call us with worse hands and also we block the hand AQ that could possibly have raised on the flop for protection / value.
On the river we have a lot of missed draws in our range. So any hand of value would bet a bigger size here, with the goal of getting cry calls. However, given this sequence of play, I find the check / call line more interesting than the bet / fold line.
The reason is that rank V does not represent many strong values ​​either. In fact only KJ could get there (which is 25% blocked). Whereas all sets should have mostly bet on previous streets. Maybe we're behind a dumb straight like 78s, but that represents really few combos (maybe 2 that floated OESD on the turn).
Greetings.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop, flop and turn are standard. However, I would check with intention to call the river. I don't like the idea of bet folding the river with a strong hand like this. If villain is passive, I would bet small-fold, that way we lose less when villain goes all in on.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, yeah, I agree with guys who prefer line check/call on the river. KQs usually doesn't good hand to call some raises on river. Aq play better, but on this board, after his line, his raise on the river, I also play Aqo by check/call. It seems that his raise on the river means strenght. GL :)

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: open to 3x, 2.4x too small.

F: bet much bigger to 75-100% pot for protection and value with so many draws present.

T: as played, bet bigger to 75-100% pot.

R: as played, we must slow down with check/evaluate. Top pair isn't strong enough to go for 3 streets of value.

Usually it's check/fold vs a big bet or jam. We can consider check/call vs small bet with reads.

We're hoping for a check behind from villain.

As played, yes bet/fold.

Last edited:
K

kGs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: open to 3x, 2.4x too small.

F: bet much bigger to 75-100% pot for protection and value with so many draws present.

T: as played, bet bigger to 75-100% pot.

R: as played, we must slow down with check/evaluate. Top pair isn't strong enough to go for 3 streets of value.

Usually it's check/fold vs a big bet or jam. We can consider check/call vs small bet with reads.

We're hoping for a check behind from villain.

As played, yes bet/fold.

Thanks for your answer, but may I know why 2.4x-2.5x open raise is too small? I thought it's quite standard.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone better than me can discuss the math of different raise sizes, eg odds to BB etc.

In short, to beat micro stakes, one of the adjustments we make is to play a value-heavy positional game with initiative, ie TAG style.

We do this to exploit the population tendency of simply not folding often enough.

Therefore, simply size up vs price insensitive population and extract value.

Last edited:
Folding in Poker