$5 NLHE 6-max: Flop 2 pair on wet board find myself in hard turn spot.

J

Jorel Antonius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BB: 45.2 BB (VPIP: 31.37, PFR: 29.41, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, hands: 54)
UTG: 86.8 BB (VPIP: 29.44, PFR: 19.48, 3Bet Preflop: 9.57, Hands: 237)
MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 22.50, PFR: 16.92, 3Bet Preflop: 6.15, Hands: 540)
Hero (CO): 114 BB
BTN: 199 BB (VPIP: 10.53, PFR: 6.77, 3Bet Preflop: 1.92, Hands: 139)
SB: 104.2 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9 A

fold, MP raises to 2.8 BB, Hero calls 2.8 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) A 9 K
MP bets 3.8 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, MP calls 8.2 BB

Turn: (31 BB, 2 players) Q
MP checks, Hero bets 14.8 BB, MP raises to 35 BB,???

Pre I put him on anything from 55+ and KSs+. I just flat as i have position and I want to see a flop. If the flot gives me top pair or better I plan on raising if he cbets. Flop comes and I flop 2 pair and he bets I raise he calls. Now I have his range narrowed down to A10, AJ, AK, and maybe a set. (although he seems pretty reg so im sure he woulda tried to build the pot for stacks. Turn comes he checks???? I bet out again and he comes over the top???? Should I just check this turn in this spot. Also his check raise this is easy fold right?

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A9 is not such a great hand to call pre, i'd rather raise pre and try to take it down there. On the flop i would just call any cbet as played, i don't want him to fold anything and he does fold alot of things on that flop. Turn as played just check back if you think he is "pretty reg" he would probably just fold Ax to any turn bet

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5 NLHE 6-max: Flop 2 pair on wet board find myself in hard turn spot.

I think you can still bet small on the turn to get value from AT,AJ and KQ. Easy fold here on the turn as villain showed strengths on two streets. Was thinking to turn your hand into a bluff to rep JT but I don't think he would fold AK or even AQ here.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, preflop, i don't agree with 3-betting pre unless you think you have fold equity against his range. If we 3-bet and he fires off a 4-bet, we have to fold, and if he flat calls, we have not really narrowed down his range that much and are playing a weak ace. A9 is not one of my 3-bet hands, especially against a loose looking player.

Call the c-bet on the flop.

Turn, i like a check. Really we only beat AJ, AT. We are crushed by AA, KK, QQ, and 99 as well as AK and AQ, and maybe some loose JTs combos.

A played I fold turn. It is hard for him to make this move without a hand that has you beat. Just to put it in perspective, could you check-raise this spot with AJ or AT?

If we get to a river by checking, we flat call his river action. (we wouldn't know that he was planning on c-raisning the turn, so we can't really fold.)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Let's see it from an different angle, your opponent's , with your raise in position on the flop I feel like you representing a set of 99, why would anyone have raised a hand with showdown value like an A?So you are trying to build the pot against his pair(s).

I cbet almost all my gutters so I feel he has JT or maybeAA,KK,QQ and he wants playing for stacks against you , I don't feel like anyone can muck 99 here.

ps. TenJack I don't feel like JTs is a loose open at a 6 max table or a 9 max :)

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe not at six-max, but full ring it is a very loose open, imo at least. Yeah, i like the hand, but it isn't really something i want to open from utg1/mp

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A9s would be a fold for me pre ATs falls into call or 3bet depending who villain is. And then A9s is a call or 3bet from btn vs a C/o open ip.Using this as a 3bet bluff c/o vs mp is better than flatting though imo.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had some reading of the villain, do you know if he would be able to try to bluff hands of this type?

You raised your bet on his flop 3 times, on the turn you bet less than half the pot, the villain may have dealt this as a possible weakness and have tried a semi bluff with flushdraw, or else he had an AX or maybe QQ or JJ .

I'm not sure if he already had a straight if he would bet on the turn or if he would wait for you to make a bet on the river so he would 3bet, only if he had afraid of flush draw, if he had three of a kind maybe he would raise the bet on the flop.

J

Jorel Antonius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You had some reading of the villain, do you know if he would be able to try to bluff hands of this type?

You raised your bet on his flop 3 times, on the turn you bet less than half the pot, the villain may have dealt this as a possible weakness and have tried a semi bluff with flushdraw, or else he had an AX or maybe QQ or JJ .

I'm not sure if he already had a straight if he would bet on the turn or if he would wait for you to make a bet on the river so he would 3bet, only if he had afraid of flush draw, if he had three of a kind maybe he would raise the bet on the flop.

The turn bet shoulda been bigger I agree. Looking back i guess the queen really did slow me down. I ended up folding this hand and looking back I could have checked the turn here instead. Although if river comes a blank i would probably check call anything that is 2/3 pot or smaller.

yeah the turn bet was weak and a good spot for a semi bluff on his part.

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop call is good.

Flop should be a call. You want to keep all of his bluffs in, since you aren't really in good shape against his value range. He has AA, KK, and AK in his range and you shouldn't have those hands since 3 betting them is far and away your best option.

Raising this flop is essentially turning your two pair into a bluff, because there aren't many worse hands that can call your raise. But none of the hands you are ahead of will fold.

You can definitely call, though. He will have plenty of Ax and Kx he could bet the flop with and bluffs he can barrel on many turns.

As played you have to check back the turn, because his range is crushing you after he calls your raise.

You have a fine hand to call his turn and river barrels on most runouts if you just call the flop.

If the turn and river are bricks, you can bet for value after he checks to you on the turn and river.