$5 NLHE 6-max: Facing shove with Aces

W

Walker_Bros_360

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All, I wasn't sure on this hand whether to call the shove after my questionable lead on the river
PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

SB: 186.4 BB
BB: 128 BB
UTG: 122 BB
MP: 245.6 BB
Hero (CO): 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:diamond: A:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, BTN calls 2.4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.2 BB, 2 players) 9:heart: 7:spade: T:heart:
Hero bets 3 BB, BTN raises to 8.4 BB, Hero calls 5.4 BB

Turn: (23 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 12.4 BB, Hero calls 12.4 BB

River: (47.8 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
Hero bets 13 BB, BTN raises to 41.2 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 28.2 BB

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After the action on the flop he will most definitely have the range advantage with a lot of 2 pair, trip 7s, quads and full house combo's.

Calling the river reraise really depends on the player type. You could get value from missed flush draws, but raising the flop with a flush draw I don't really expect to see often (especially after the board pairs on the turn because flush draws are potentially drawing dead).

Lets for a moment assume that he's playing this line with all his two pair or better hands, and all suited ace of hearts combos. Calling is profitable since you have 37.5% and you only need about 25%. If he's betting his missed flushes at a 33% frequency, only bluffing with Ah4h, Ah3h, Ah2h, you're losing slightly with a 23.08% equity.

So basically you'll need a read that he's overbluffing missed draws. Otherwise, you're losing money on this call. As I was recently reminded by myself, not overcomplicating the micro's helps a lot. When they show strength, they tend to have it. When they show weakness, they tend to be weak.

Just a side note, but calling the river here with the ace of hearts would be a 100% no here because blocking his flush draws would mean he only shows up with a very nutted range here.

And the last side note, always consider your line after a potential reraise before you decide on bet sizing. If you're going to call a shove anyway, it's always better to just shove yourself. That way you benefit from the maximum fold equity of your stack.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain to start this hand has about 63 BBs which makes a difference to me. I am not one to think everyone who plays with a shorter stack in cash is a fish but they to tend to want to get their chips in the middle so I do believe players with 50-70 BBs will go with their hands much more often than someone with 100BBs+ to start the hand.

Pre flop I think you should be raising to 3x and not 2.4x at all levels 10NL and below, thats just my opinion but you will get more value in the long run as long as your hand selection pre flop is correct.

I would hate that flop but I would not be going anywhere to the raise just yet. I would think that I could be beat already and most likely maybe am but would still not be folding. The 7 on the turn I think is a very good card. Its a set blocker, now gives us two pair so we are beating 109, and also the flush did not come in. It also gives us a few outs against possible straight that villain has (doubt they have the straight but possible). I would be calling the bet on the turn not loving things but I would not be folding here yet.

River is nothing burger. I would not jam here in our shoes because than all hands we beat outside of 109 are just folding and maybe even 109 finds a fold. I like letting the villain bluff here. I will say I dont hate your river play if your intention on the bet was to induce a bluff from it (since your bet looks blockerish and weak) and then call the jam that occurs. Otherwise I would just check. As played you are getting about 4 to 1 on a call which means we have to win 1 in 5 times to break even. We lose to 107, 97, 1010, 99, J8, and 86. 77 and 44 I highly discount especially since if villain hit quads on turn they might be afraid of scaring you with another barrel plus getting to the river with 44 there would be ridiculous by villain. So does villain 80% of the time have 107, 97, 1010, 99, J8, and 86? I would doubt that as I would think there are definitely missed draws in here as well as 109 that make up more than 20% so I would be calling the river here. I still would think Im losing over 50% of the time with calling but should be winning more than 20% of the time.

W

Walker_Bros_360

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And the last side note, always consider your line after a potential reraise before you decide on bet sizing. If you're going to call a shove anyway, it's always better to just shove yourself. That way you benefit from the maximum fold equity of your stack.
Thanks for taking time to respond with me, you gave me a lot of helpful information. I'm just confused by this tip, as if i shoved then surely im getting no value out of his bluffs and I'm only being called by his better hands?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
This is a very dangerous flop for aces, and to make matters worse you are out of position. I would check here and try to get to a cheap showdown. It would be a check with intentions to check-call and then evaluate later. If the board runs out with a 1-liner to a straight, and/or the flush comes in, then this is a situation, where you probably need to be willing to let those aces go, if the opponent continues to fire hard at the pot.

Ideally what you want to see here is for him to check back and then a low offsuit brick on the turn. You do bet though, and then you get raised, which is just a terrible situation for aces. I guess, its to tight to fold already, but I really hate the situation and hope, he checks back turn.

Turn
This was one of the better cards for you, because it completed no draws, and it also cuts down on the number of set and two pair combos, he can have, plus you now beat T9, and you picked up some equity against a straight. Its very unlikely, he is raising the flop with bottom pair, so on this particular card I think, you have a very clear check-call and then basically hope, that the river brinks, and/or he give up and check back.

River
When he raise the flop, his range should consist mostly of draws, which all missed, and then hands that beat you. So what are you exactly trying to accomplish with this block bet? He is not going to call you with KT or 98, if these hands are not in his range, because he would have just called them on the flop.

Facing his raise I would snap fold. And I would also lean towards folding, if I had checked to him, and he still jammed. All the draws missed, but its not like, aces is the top of your range is this situation. Opening from CO you can also have a lot of hands, that made a full house or a straight on this board. Maybe you can also have trips sometimes, if you C-bet a hand like 87 or A7. So I dont see the need to defend with anything less than trips here.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
6max

great move villain's options were fold or bluff, the house thanks whenever we have players like that:angel::D

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for taking time to respond with me, you gave me a lot of helpful information. I'm just confused by this tip, as if i shoved then surely im getting no value out of his bluffs and I'm only being called by his better hands?

That's a fair point. This tip isn't all that useful for this hand then. Let me try to explain it in more general terms though. Maybe you'll still find it useful.

So the first principle is that in NL hold 'em almost all hands have a chance to win against almost any other hand, or at least have the potential to improve to a winning hand. i.e. each hand represents a certain amount of equity. If you play the exact same hand in the exact same way over a large sample size each player will win their equity percentage of the pot.

Following that logic, we can improve our win rate by getting our opponents to fold their equity share. Leaving us with 100% of the pot instead of just our equity share.

Lastly, we want to present our opponents with difficult decisions and give them the opportunity to make mistakes, and they want to do the same to us. Betting/raising an amount that leaves us with only one action after a shove (i.e. situations where we are supposed to call with any 2 cards) because of the pot odds we're getting is the direct opposite of that. 1) We present our opponent with an easier decision because we're betting smaller. 2) Our opponent is less likely to fold their equity share. And 3) if we're beaten, he's getting the maximum since we're supposed to call with any 2 cards.

In conclusion, if you're supposed to call your entire range after a reraise shove, it's generally better to either check or shove yourself.

I understand this is not directly related to the hand in question and I'll own up to that mistake, but I hope I was able to explain the principle. Let me know what you think!

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop and turn are both fine. I'm very confused by our decision to lead into villain on river here. Villain either bricked out on a bluff or has us absolutely smashed, so by continuing to check in flow we give villain one more opportunity to go for it as a bluff or value own himself by betting worse. When we lead into him he will mostly just fold his bluffs and call us with better. I would only take this line if I felt very confident villain was prone to spew when we make induce bets like this. Generally, x/c will be better.