B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q1: Should hero defend?

Q2: If so should we just get it in?

Second hand, but stack size says he is not best player in the world. When he donks that strong he most likely donks to protect, with range something like this: 99,AJs-A8s,KQs,Q9s,AJo-A9o,KQo,Q9o where Hero has equity edge of 60% and also position.

Let say we put him in, he will call his strong hands obviously, some weaker 2ndP and most Ax hands.

David Skalansky: “When the pot is small and the opponent is semi-bluffing it might be correct to fold, especially in "coin-flip" scenarios, the other alternative is to raise. When the pot is large and the opponent is semi-bluffing calling is almost always correct.”
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...ooks-theory-poker-sklansky-375355/index2.html

Given equity wise we can see similarities to what Sklansky says about semi bluffs, is the correct answer for hero to just fold?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 480.8 BB (VPIP: 11.54, PFR: 3.85, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 53)
SB: 69.2 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
BB: 100 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
Hero (MP): 136 BB
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 21.54, PFR: 16.15, 3Bet Preflop: 6.12, Hands: 131)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J A

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 2.6 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 9 Q A
SB bets 6.8 BB

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have position w/ top pair, if you fold here, you're extremely easily exploitable. You have to call, even if that means you fold on a later street. - See John A's minimum defense frequency (book not yet published, and likely never will be).

:)

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a call for me and re evaluate on the turn u still have position on him. This full pot bets looks more like a weak hand a draw or 88-. if no scary card comes i will keep calling him if he bets, and if he checks i'm betting it.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we call flop, and then evaluate the turn. As for #2, to gii here we would need to raise over 60 BB in a 13 BB pot. That is a huge overbet and we should avoid those in spots like this.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm definitely calling flop and turn. Top pair is a good hand heads up.
Will see how the board runs out to decide what to do on the river.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think calling is standard. I speculated if we could have taken easier line by folding given pot is so small or more ev line by raising. And no I did not mean shoving, bad wording there, rather that if we raise we need to go all the way (imo).

I don’t fancy calling and folding later streets, maybe it’s the way how we rumble regardless. I was going to argue that not full stacker can’t possibly exploit anyone, but it might be that he has learned that donking large against nittier players is very good exploit line, except he does it for value or protection most likely.

Last edited: