$5 NLHE 6-max: Deep stacked full house vs river raise

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 25/20/3

Some background on villain. 25/20/3 and particularly aggressive on the flop. Also extremely aggressive pre with 20% 3 bet and a 4 bet ratio of 10. This is over 300 hands. Doesn't look totally wild, more like he is trying to exploit others with the aggression.

Last night he stacked me twice, first time cracked my AA with QQ, second which really hurt he 4 bet on the button with 84s after I 3 bet him from SB, and proceeded to river a flush after I'd jammed something or other that was about a huge favourite on the turn. Anyway, that was in the back of my head here and with so much left behind on the river I hesitated in a spot that with a smaller stack would have been an easy jam.

I call with 88 here in the big blind based on the villain and feeling like he could get aggressive and make life difficult. Definitely a spot where I could normally fire a 3 bet vs a different villain sometimes.

We get lucky and hit our set. Goes check/check.

Turn is a bit of a brick, but does bring in some more straight draws maybe. Definitely need to get some value here with the set, so I bet.

River pairs the board and gives us the full house. There is a lot of money behind and a jam seems silly, a good way to lose a bunch of money to the two hands that beat us (66 & an unlikely QQ), while just folding out most other hands. Instead I bet around pot, figuring it will get value and could be seen as a bit of a bluffy size that might get a crying call. There are worse boats that are calling that for sure too.

The raise caught me off guard. I don't see this guy bluffing this spot, it is a very narrow range of hands that could have opened MP and be here now... 55, 66, QQ. I just cant see anything else doing it. It was an instinctive decision to call rather than raise again or jam, but seeing as I was losing to 2 of those 3 hands I can now put him on, I think I'm ok with it. What do you think?

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 327.8 BB
SB: 116.4 BB
Hero (BB): 305 BB
UTG: 167.8 BB
MP: 245.8 BB
CO: 104 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 8 8

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) Q 6 8
Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 5
Hero bets 4.4 BB, MP calls 4.4 BB

River: (15.2 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero bets 15.8 BB, MP raises to 47.6 BB, Hero calls 31.8 BB
MP shows 5 5 (Full House, Fives full of Sixes)
(Pre 19%, Flop 3%, Turn 2%)
Hero shows 8 8 (Full House, Eights full of Sixes)
(Pre 81%, Flop 97%, Turn 98%)
Hero wins 104 BB

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think perhaps if it's instinctive for you to just call that river raise, that maybe you are acting too quickly. I'd of re-raised that every single time. I'm hoping to get it all in the middle even with a 250 BB effective stack.

Given the action on the streets before the river, he could have some AQ, A5s, A6s, A8s here. He could have some suited gap cards that make a straight he thinks he's being sneaky with also. KQs, QJs, QTs that he's semi-bluffing with.

You have a full house here. Worry less about losing and worry more about getting some value out of it, I say. How many times a day to you get a full house against an opponent willing to put money in the pot?

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a full house here. Worry less about losing and worry more about getting some value out of it, I say. How many times a day to you get a full house against an opponent willing to put money in the pot?

4 times today haha, running crazy hot. But I get your point. Honestly I think this villain had got in my head after yesterday and I would have been shattered to lose 250BB to him here and was jumping at shadows. Against anyone else I have a feeling I'd have shipped it.

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. You get amazing value here. On a 15 blind river there was enough action to engage 100 blinds to the pot with 2 bets.

The only way you could expect to get more chips was to 3 bet shove or 3 bet light and fold.

You recognize the other full houses that get here and no one wants to 3bet the river small and fold so well avoided - do you think your opponent would always raise with a turned straight here?

Either way I think if you jam river here 90% of the time the only things that can call beat you.

Maybe you could size it 125% pot on the river (with like a 20bb even number size) - that way a straight, maybe trips, QQ, 88 and a missed flush/bluff would raise. So when you call its a hair more.

Either way well played.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
R: 3bet jam for value. He's definitely wild enough.

Both QQ and 66 cbet that drawy flop.

Rest are fine.

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 times today haha, running crazy hot. But I get your point. Honestly I think this villain had got in my head after yesterday and I would have been shattered to lose 250BB to him here and was jumping at shadows. Against anyone else I have a feeling I'd have shipped it.

After he sucked on you, you had an opportunity to recover the losses. Its clear that shove was in place, BUT, if you feel another loss would tilt you bad, the call was EV+

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-betting the river all day. VERY unlikely your opponent is checking that flop and not raising the turn w/ a set or 68, so you're left with 6x, 55, and air as their range. If he was playing deep and didn't bet or raise at any point, which seems highly unlikely based on his stats, then so be it.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 8 8

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB ---> you are missing a ton of value here by flatting, 88 heads up is a VERY strong hand, even if you dont flop a set, also having the betting lead from out of position is always good

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) Q 6 8♠ --> in these spots i like to donk like 1/4 pot, it ensures it doesnt get checked thru, and sometimes can induce a raise

Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 5♣ ----> as played, i would be checking here, most likely he has nothing and you need to allow him the chance to bluff, when you bet, and take this sizing, you are being called by a polarized range of 2p+

Hero bets 4.4 BB, MP calls 4.4 BB

River: (15.2 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero bets 15.8 BB, MP raises to 47.6 BB, Hero calls 31.8 BB

You have the 2nd nuts, def moving in on him. Probably has 56, checks back the flop, doesnt raise at any point, comes to life on the river. Just calling here is super nitty.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You recognize the other full houses that get here and no one wants to 3bet the river small and fold so well avoided - do you think your opponent would always raise with a turned straight here?

Either way I think if you jam river here 90% of the time the only things that can call beat you.

This is madness.

When you flop middle set and then river a full house, keep raising and raising until your computer overheats and explodes.

How else do you expect to recoup some losses (or ever get ahead!) if you aren't putting your chips in the middle in these spots? You are losing to QQ and 55. That's it. If you are trigger-shy after flopping middle set and making it to a boat on the river then I ask you, what are you hoping to happen in this scenario? Everybody keep pressing check while you pray your opponent doesn't have quads? Quads are a risk every single time you have a full house in this game.

If I was villain here, with a missed draw or something, I'd consider bluffing that river myself, even at 5NL. I'm not winning the pot any other way and a paired board is scary stuff, as this above quote seems to prove.

TLDR; You can't worry about losing when you flop middle set and river a full house. From time to time you will lose. If that tilts you, take a break. Don't give up value because you don't want to be cranky. That's a huge leak.