$5 NLHE 6-max: Correct fold on river?

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Total posts
Chips
Little hand I played the other day. Just wanted to check this was the correct line. Would anyone else have done anything differently?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem 0.05(BB)
CO ($10.03) [VPIP: 21.8% | PFR: 17.4% | AGG: 37% | Flop Agg: 39.5% | Turn Agg: 37.5% | River Agg: 31.6% | 3-Bet: 10.4% | Fold to 3-Bet: 80% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 313]
BTN ($11.09) [VPIP: 30.3% | PFR: 21.2% | AGG: 48.5% | hands: 67]
SB ($1.01) [VPIP: 69.5% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 7.1% | Hands: 84]
BB ($5) [VPIP: 23% | PFR: 14.9% | AGG: 50% | Hands: 74]
HERO ($5.77) [VPIP: 21.1% | PFR: 14.9% | AGG: 23.2% | Flop Agg: 27.2% | Turn Agg: 22% | River Agg: 15.7% | 3-Bet: 5.5% | 4-Bet: 11.9% | Hands: 44301]

Dealt to Hero: T T

HERO Raises To $0.15, CO Raises To $0.45, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HERO Calls $0.30

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.48 effective]
Flop ($0.97): 8 J 9
HERO Checks, CO Bets $0.47 (Rem. Stack: $9.11), HERO Calls $0.47 (Rem. Stack: $4.85)

Turn ($1.91): 8 J 9 4
HERO Checks, CO Bets $1.26 (Rem. Stack: $7.85), HERO Calls $1.26 (Rem. Stack: $3.59)

River ($4.43): 8 J 9 4 A
HERO Checks, CO Bets $7.85 (allin), HERO Folds

CO wins: $4.21

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Little hand I played the other day. Just wanted to check this was the correct line. Would anyone else have done anything differently?

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem 0.05(BB)
CO ($10.03) [VPIP: 21.8% | PFR: 17.4% | AGG: 37% | Flop Agg: 39.5% | Turn Agg: 37.5% | River Agg: 31.6% | 3-Bet: 10.4% | Fold to 3-Bet: 80% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 313]
BTN ($11.09) [VPIP: 30.3% | PFR: 21.2% | AGG: 48.5% | Hands: 67]
SB ($1.01) [VPIP: 69.5% | PFR: 0% | AGG: 7.1% | Hands: 84]
BB ($5) [VPIP: 23% | PFR: 14.9% | AGG: 50% | Hands: 74]
HERO ($5.77) [VPIP: 21.1% | PFR: 14.9% | AGG: 23.2% | Flop Agg: 27.2% | Turn Agg: 22% | River Agg: 15.7% | 3-Bet: 5.5% | 4-Bet: 11.9% | Hands: 44301]

Dealt to Hero: T T

HERO Raises To $0.15, CO Raises To $0.45, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds, HERO Calls $0.30

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.48 effective]
Flop ($0.97): 8 J 9
HERO Checks, CO Bets $0.47 (Rem. Stack: $9.11), HERO Calls $0.47 (Rem. Stack: $4.85)

Turn ($1.91): 8 J 9 4
HERO Checks, CO Bets $1.26 (Rem. Stack: $7.85), HERO Calls $1.26 (Rem. Stack: $3.59)

River ($4.43): 8 J 9 4 A
HERO Checks, CO Bets $7.85 (allin), HERO Folds

CO wins: $4.21

Any information on your opponent, Generally, I would fold if I'm holding a decent pair and an Ace comes on the river followed by an all in. Judging by a reraise on the flop, I would think your opponent has a pair of Jacks minimum.

As for what you could do differently, maybe a reraise on the flop to see where your opponent stands?

300HPGOD

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Judging by the stats you posted of villain having a 10.4% 3 bet they are wider than premium hands here. My initial ranging would be the obvious JJ+ but I would also be throwing in Axs, especially suited ones, and maybe even KQ, QJ suited. Even though it is part of my range for villain I am only saying there is a chance that they have the KQ, QJ suited hands lean more heavily on Ax and the premium hands. Villains fold to 3 bet is also high (I think this tracked differently depending on what software you use. Some include only the times you opened while others include folds to any 3 bet at the table) so 4 betting might not be a terrible idea. I would not do it in game but I don't think it is something that we shouldnt totally write off as on option either.

As far as the hand is played out I would have played it the same way you did. I think there could be merit to raising the flop but I would not do it myself in this spot. I like keeping his Ax trash in if my range on him is correct. Also if we raise the flop and get monster re-raised then we not in a wonderful spot. I like the call to just see the turn. The turn give a relative blank but the villain ups their sizing up to close to 2/3rds pot. This could be a bluff but I would not want him to fold a A7 of diamonds type hand so I would just call and not re-raise that either.

Your question regarded the river and I think with the Ace this is an easy fold. Villain 3 bet and triple barreled into us. They easily could have checked the river back if they wanted to control this pot at all. As I mentioned earlier my thought is their range is Ace heavy so I see no reason to call this off. Definitely a remote chance this is a bluff but I dont think its a bluff enough of the time to justify calling this bet.

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Total posts
Chips
Judging by the stats you posted of villain having a 10.4% 3 bet they are wider than premium hands here.

My thoughts exactly so more than OK to see a flop against a wide (ish) range

I like keeping his Ax trash in if my range on him is correct. Also if we raise the flop and get monster re-raised then we not in a wonderful spot.

Again what I was thinking as well as any other trash bluffs he may feel like having a pop at (K9s etc)

I like the call to just see the turn. The turn give a relative blank but the villain ups their sizing up to close to 2/3rds pot. This could be a bluff but I would not want him to fold a A7 of diamonds type hand so I would just call and not re-raise that either.

Good this was the bit I was most concerned about. I'm still beating AT/AQ/AK and even against AJ/QJ I have quite a few outs

Your question regarded the river and I think with the Ace this is an easy fold. Villain 3 bet and triple barreled into us. They easily could have checked the river back if they wanted to control this pot at all. As I mentioned earlier my thought is their range is Ace heavy so I see no reason to call this off. Definitely a remote chance this is a bluff but I dont think its a bluff enough of the time to justify calling this bet.

Thanks for the analysis - I always hate folding these spots as I feel it happens way more than it should, but I guess that's just the game.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think calling his river shove could be considered very optimistic.

It's tough playing draws out of position, particularly in 3 bet pots.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Total posts
Chips
I would fold turn. V shoving strong value with his bets

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Total posts
Chips
with the 3bet that villain made in the pre-flop it would have been a suicide to call on the river good fold

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Total posts
Chips
Would you stackoff if Qh or 7h popped? If not I would advocate folding flop too, if not that, then fold turn. But as played, this isnt bad at all, you've getting small bets that justify your drawing plus pair, sadly for us on board like this we could easily drawing dead. Im kinda see him on Ah+h, that's a good bluf 3 bet hand for IP, his 10% 3b is bit high but would be interested to see whats his 3b on CO vs UTG, if its somewhere at 5 that we have him on either high pair or strong ace or as I said above, sited ace that falls into 3bet bluff range...

Anyway, bottom line, anything but call river is OK, don't see him bluffing with anything but KQh and he has so many aces in his range. fold river totally fine by me

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in favor of folding, but if we consider the opponent's range, then we are behind, and after the river
he has an ace with any card closed (if he played a trick hand so aggressively, the stats indicate this)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think this is totally fine. On the flop and turn you had a bluff catcher but also an OESD. You failed to improve, and the river card was one of the worst posssible, because it hit a lot of his bluffing range. Easy fold.

Folding in Poker