$5 NLHE 6-max: Calling river shove with TPTK

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 21/16/2

A while since I posted a hand, working 12 hour days so poker is on the backburner a bit. Hope all who regularly find the time to comment and leave advice on my hands are doing well in life & poker :)

Anyway, did find some time over the weekend for a few hands, so here is a crazy one from that session.

145 hands on villain. 3 Bet of 6 (3/49), 21/16/2. Very little info though besides that. Looked like a reasonable reg.

I've been at the table for about 30 hands and look quite loose but weak as I have had a good run of hole cards but not made it to a single showdown and don't look especially aggressive so far either.

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 72.4 BB
BB: 118.8 BB
UTG: 126.4 BB
Hero (CO): 105 BB
BTN: 146.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K A

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, BB raises to 12 BB, Hero calls 9 BB

Flop: (24.4 BB, 2 players) 7 5 K
BB bets 8 BB, Hero calls 8 BB

Turn: (40.4 BB, 2 players) 9
BB bets 20.2 BB, Hero calls 20.2 BB

River: (80.8 BB, 2 players) 3
BB bets 78.6 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 64.8 BB and is all-in

BB shows 8 T (High Card, King)
(Pre 39%, Flop 10%, Turn 18%)
Hero shows K A (One Pair, Kings)
(Pre 61%, Flop 90%, Turn 82%)
Hero wins 200 BB

Villain lays down the big 3 bet. I do think twice given the size, but make what is a pretty standard call for me with AK. Put him on a pretty tight range based on what I can see, JJ+ and AK certainly, maybe the odd bluff or AQs. Really just attributing a standard tight range as I dont have much info.

FLOP: AA/KK crushing me of course, chopping with all the AK, beating QQ/JJ and any other random likely 3 bet bluff type hands. Villain's C Bet does not come across as particularly strong, so an easy call.

TURN: The 9 does not change much, besides giving pocket 9s a set. My logic here is that if I felt I was often either winning or chopping on the flop, I need to continue to call off any reasonable bet on this turn. He is giving me 3:1, and I think I am ahead/chopping here more than 25% of the time.

RIVER: The river is a bit of a brick, besides bringing in a flush. The jam is gross. It feels really ugly calling down with just TPTK, but the way the hand was played I just didn't get the feeling he was holding AA or KK, and the flush coming in does seem a good spot to bluff, particularly for an AK type hand.

I suspect many people are just folding here and saying 'Well he has the nuts or near enough, move on and don't pay him off"?

T

TriszPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have AK top top blind vs blind, what is exactly "brutal" in this call when he jams less then pot on river? This is a snap call 100% of the time regardless any read or anything, just impossible to fold blind vs blind. Good call.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a 3 bet pot, I'm not folding TPTK without very specific reads on a villain.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I agree in the large part that, we can risk and call his bet on the river. On the flop probably we have the best hand. On the flop we have no choice and we have to call his bet. Sometimes he will hava pocket AA, maybe sometimes KK, but with KK I can sometimes play slow play with top set on the flop. The turn card - everything is in standard. Here we can't fold TPTK. The river card - the river card he plays almost pot size bet. I don't afraid a flush on the river, because he doesn't 3bet too much suited connector hands, something like Ats+. Hard decision on the river, but I think that is a call. GL :)

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against a good reg, I would call because pre-flop he's representing a good hands,
on the flop and turn he's saying that he has big cards, and on the river now he's saying he got a flush. Hmmmm? isn't that fishy, cause he changed his story on the river.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop should be 4bet majority of time. I would also raise flop and as played I would shove turn. However I also think that folding river is not a mistake. At low stakes people underbluff rivers and you don't block flush.