$5 NLHE 6-max: Calling a 3 Bet with AQo

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNAP on 888. First hand against villain.

My basic range to call a 3 bet in position is vs an unknown something like 88+, AQ+, AJs, KQs (4 betting KK+). I dont call AQ or worse against an unknown like this if I am OOP. My assumption here is being in position gives me enough advantage to continue with those slightly weaker hands, knowing that I will be dominated sometimes, but trying to use my position to take villain off the pot if they show any weakness.

Having called the 3 bet and hit an ace I have to call the flop, otherwise why even call the 3 bet. When the short stack shoves the turn I felt I had to call. If a full stack made this bet I think it is ok to fold at micro stakes where a big bluff is unlikely?

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 42.4 BB
SB: 69.6 BB
BB: 102.6 BB
UTG: 100 BB
Hero (MP): 109.4 BB
CO: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A Q

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, SB raises to 9.8 BB, fold, Hero calls 6.8 BB

Flop: (20.6 BB, 2 players) 2 4 A
SB bets 13.2 BB, Hero calls 13.2 BB

Turn: (47 BB, 2 players) J
SB bets 46.6 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 46.6 BB

River: (140.2 BB, 2 players) 7

SB shows A K (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 75%, Flop 87%, Turn 93%)
Hero shows A Q (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 25%, Flop 13%, Turn 7%)
SB wins 132 BB

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am with you on this hand through the flop. Pre flop its a call as you say since your hand is strong enough to "defend" your raise with plus you are in position. You can 4 bet here once in a while but to me that would depend on villains stats which I doubt you have a lot of so I am with you on seeing a flop in position.

I agree with your post that if we are calling this 3 bet pre and then an ace hits we should be calling. Yes we can be up against AK at times here but the the big pocket pairs we beat will also c bet here to see if we have an ace. Calling there is the right play and I would put their range on pocket pairs 1010+ and maybe as light as AJ. It would then depend on villain if they would be doing this lighter but since we cant know this since we dont have the hands with them we have to go with that sort of default range.

The turn is a very bad card for us. Before any action occurs we should know that AJ and JJ just got there and the other hands in villains range like KK, QQ, and 1010 should be shutting it down as it sure looks like we have an ace after calling a 2/3rds pot flop bet. I would expect the villain to check here with the hands we beat and bet something, even small, with the hands we are in trouble against. When they come out and jam Im starting to think "what am I beating here that does this"? I cant come up with a hand that would fit. I dont think the common villain would bluff here knowing we have an ace. Since they jam my first thought would be AJ followed by AA and AK (AA is super unlikely but is possible). I dont think we beat anything at this point and I dont think they are bluffing so if I was playing well at the time I would have folded this hand. There is an outside chance they have something like KQ of clubs but I think that is really rare. It sucks to fold here but sometimes there just aren't any hands you beat no matter how strong you think your hand is. Going through the hand my guess was AJ until I looked in the spoiler alert and was not shocked to see AK.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assume his 3b range is AQ+ TT+.
On such flop we only ahead against TT..KK. Calling cbet on flop is OK. It could be cbet with whole range or value/defend bet with value hand.
But decent bet on turn signal its more value hand. I would fold.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the guys. This is exactly the case when you need to stop on the turn and think about what is raising us? Very often here the opponent will have AA, AK, AJ, JJ and very rarely bluffs ... So the turn is folded against an unknown opponent.