$5 NLHE 6-max: Calling 3 Streets with 2nd pair

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very rare that I call three streets like this with such a weak hand, particularly vs decent sized bets. Villain's loose stats definitely a factor, combined with the way the board runs out. I am trying to shut down *slightly* less at 5nl compared 2nl, where I will just give up everything without a fight looking for easier money. If scarier cards were to come on any street I can easily find a fold here.

Called flop feeling villain c bets here a lot. Called turn as it was a real brick, I must still be ahead of a lot. The river doesn't change much more often than not, so I call again. Something about the three 2/3 pot bets in a row suggested to me villain did not have anything better than a pair and definitely could be bluffing a missed draw.

How would you have played this one?

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 160.8 BB
BB: 81.4 BB
UTG: 39 BB
MP: 71 BB
CO: 101.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T:spade: A:diamond:

fold, fold, CO raises to 2.4 BB, Hero calls 2.4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.2 BB, 2 players) 5:club: T:diamond: J:diamond:
CO bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (14.2 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:
CO bets 9.2 BB, Hero calls 9.2 BB

River: (32.6 BB, 2 players) 5:heart:
CO bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

CO shows K:club: A:spade: (One Pair, Fives)
(Pre 74%, Flop 27%, Turn 16%)
Hero shows T:spade: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Tens and Fives)
(Pre 26%, Flop 73%, Turn 84%)
Hero wins 70.4 BB

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very rare that I call three streets like this with such a weak hand, particularly vs decent sized bets. Villain's loose stats definitely a factor, combined with the way the board runs out. I am trying to shut down *slightly* less at 5nl compared 2nl, where I will just give up everything without a fight looking for easier money. If scarier cards were to come on any street I can easily find a fold here.

Called flop feeling villain c bets here a lot. Called turn as it was a real brick, I must still be ahead of a lot. The river doesn't change much more often than not, so I call again. Something about the three 2/3 pot bets in a row suggested to me villain did not have anything better than a pair and definitely could be bluffing a missed draw.

How would you have played this one?

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 160.8 BB
BB: 81.4 BB
UTG: 39 BB
MP: 71 BB
CO: 101.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T A

fold, fold, CO raises to 2.4 BB, Hero calls 2.4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (6.2 BB, 2 players) 5 T J
CO bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (14.2 BB, 2 players) 3
CO bets 9.2 BB, Hero calls 9.2 BB

River: (32.6 BB, 2 players) 5
CO bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

CO shows K A (One Pair, Fives)
(Pre 74%, Flop 27%, Turn 16%)
Hero shows T A (Two Pair, Tens and Fives)
(Pre 26%, Flop 73%, Turn 84%)
Hero wins 70.4 BB

Thank U 4 Posting

Preflop
What is your 3 bet % with A10 in SB?
Is this a standard CO range or do you think the CO is wider here?

Flop
Is this bet size by V large? If yes what range would V bet this size?

Is there any reason to protect your hand on a board this wet?
Is this a call down board vs a standard CO range versus 3 streets?
What % of bluffs do you estimate on river.
What is the plan if a diamond comes? An Ace? Q? Any turn leads?

Turn
Any timing tells here?
How does your V see you here? Do they expect folds- is that what your HUD stats say?
What do you expect your V to do on the river? How often are they checking down?
Does your player pool use over pot river bluffs? If we have the Ad in our hand so we are blocking the most likely NFD bluff.

River
What hands would this V think they could get to fold with a river bluff?
So on this runout it would seem a bluff would be targeting 10x and lower pairs.
Would the V expect you to be calling 99-66 44-22 on the turn to that chunky bet?
If your player pool is folding those pairs on turn then your V is only bluffing 10x hands. Unless of course your player pool is folding top pairs to 3 streets are they? Are you?
If this V is only trying to get 10x hands to fold then they are over bluffing. Is this common in your player pool?

The AK has show down value so bluffing only 10x hands with it is a unbalanced river bluffing strategy. Are you seeing that in your player pool?

Good call down result.

We want to figure out the why of the turn and river bluff. It is that why that will help us play this V and our player pool more effectively.

Hope this helps
:):)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you need very specific reads on a villain to call down this light.

From your intro to the hand, it didn't sound as if you had a lot of history with him.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think this is a bit light too. I hate that we have the Ace of diamonds. AK and AQ have some showdown value and should be giving up on some rivers since Hero can also be calling with KQ and diamond draws a fair amount. That he choses not to polarize with a larger river bet is also interesting. You didn't mention stats but from the CO we can beat AK, AQ, KQ, Q9s, 98s but we don't expect all of the big Aces to triple barrel. If we unblock diamonds it probably adds enough missed diamond draws that I think it's a call. As played I'm skeptical that he has enough bluffs to make this call profitable. He could obviously have a ton of Jx, over pairs, and all of the sets from the CO as 33 would probably cbet and hit turn to continue before giving up.