$5 NLHE 6-max: AKo vs. BB 3-bet - wet board

K

kGs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your thoughts about this hand? Personally, after analysis, I think I played it bad, very passive overall. I put villain on a very narrowed range, like AQ+, TT+.

4-bet pre? Raise on the flop? Shoving on the turn? These are my ideas, dunno if they are right. But defo bad call on the river.

Villain Stats: 19/17/3, 3-bet: 6.7, 3-bet OOP: 3.1

-----

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: $5.00 (100 bb)
MP: $12.75 (255 bb)
CO (Hero): $6.64 (133 bb)
BU: $25.10 (502 bb)
SB: $9.00 (180 bb)
BB: $13.88 (278 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is CO with A K
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.12, 1 fold, SB 3-bets to $0.55, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.43

Flop: ($1.15) 7 8 K (2 players)
SB bets $0.58, Hero calls $0.58

Turn: ($2.31) J (2 players)
SB bets $1.55, Hero calls $1.55

River: ($5.41) 6 (2 players)
SB bets $6.32 (all-in), Hero calls $3.96 (all-in)

Total pot: $13.33 (Rake: $0.55)

Showdown:
SB shows 6 6 (three of a kind, Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 12%, Turn: 5%, River: 100%)

CO (Hero) shows A K (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 88%, Turn: 95%, River: 0%)

SB wins $12.78

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing to highlight is the game mode: Zoom. It is generally an aggressive game and you have to adapt a little more to that style. If you called preflop in position with AK, you have a great flop to always raise. There is no reason for defensive play here.
Therefore: flop and turn should be attacks on your part.
When a V over plays his hands like your opponent did, you have to take notes and use it to your advantage on the next hands.
In this case we have seen a V that has a lot of offense. The inverse equivalent of this should be: a player who over defends with dominated range (marginal bluffs catcher, as pockets pairs of low donomination for wet textures).
As played flop, on the turn it makes more sense to call in position. You just don't add extra value by raising when your opponent's range is capped.
However and as I said before, taking control and making the pot with competent hands like yours should be the first option in a game as volatile as zoom.
Finally the river as played on previous streets is a standard fold. The third heart on the table has been completed and your range is clearly dominated.
Greetings.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: open to 3x, 2.4x too small.

Weird 3bet sizing (4.58x) by villain, but still we shouldn't 4bet vs 19/17 player: these types 3bet for value very often.

Flat vs 3bet is fine.

F: fine. Raising is overplaying our hand, even with AK blocking dynamic.

T: fine, we can call one more time vs normal sized bet, even vs slightly bigger bet. Don't jam turn: only better hands call, only worse hands fold.

R: we have to fold. Top pair top kicker isn't strong enough vs triple barrel in a 3bet pot.

Please don't post results.

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am definitely 4 betting preflop to about 25 BBs.

As played, I will raise the flop and get it in if needs be.

Your passive play allowed him to control the hand and actually see his miracle river.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A check raise seems like the right play here. I have a similar trappy style I like to play but this is an example of trapping ourselves. Maybe I need to be more aggressive in these types of situations

Prince Mantis

Prince Mantis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion hero played fine. Having K of hearts is good so we do not afraid about 3rd heart come in. I like the way the hero played, he was a bit unlucky that 2out draw hit the river.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I would choose a larger open size, but that is secondary in this hand. The smaller open size has apparently become the standard in the zoom format anyway.

Due to the high 3b size in relation to your open size, I would attribute a polarized 3b range to villain. Since it is a K high board with flush draw, I think villain would bet higher with his bluff range to get you out of hand. Therefore I would tend more towards a (weak?)-value hand.

Combining also the preflop (2b x 4.58), flop (50% pot) and turn (67% pot) sizes and the Kh blocker, I would give him very few flush combinations on the river.
So I think calling all three streets is fine and if not, definitely not a big mistake.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are your thoughts about this hand? Personally, after analysis, I think I played it bad, very passive overall. I put villain on a very narrowed range, like AQ+, TT+.

4-bet pre? Raise on the flop? Shoving on the turn? These are my ideas, dunno if they are right. But defo bad call on the river.

-----

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players

2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.12, 1 fold, SB 3-bets to $0.55, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.43

Showdown:

SB wins $12.78

Thank you for posting

We want to make it 3x with stacks this deep preflop
Standard 6 max ranges are not that tight as you saw with 66 3 betting
so 4 betting AK is good here. We block AA KK and are flipping at worst so bigger pot is good we also are not chasing to make pairs if we miss and if we hit V can fold easily if we suddenly wake up and raise.

As to how to play post flop we want to extract max value from range so what does your V do with 66 if we raise?
If it is fold then you played flop and turn well.

So many of us have trouble on the river hoping we are winning -myself included- and calling not reverse analyzing the hand and making the decision based on that data. Your thoughts indicate you know this but could not act on it. That is a form of tilt. We fix our tilt issues by focusing on the data we have to make the Best decision.
Creating a data list off table will help us in the moment in game in similar spots.

Data list
1 Preflop 3 bet pot
2 Flop we call we either have a made hand or draw. Not likely chasing AX when the top card is a K V's range remains wide as they can be leveraging the K
3 We call again on turn vs a big bet. Do we do this with pairs smaller than a J? If not then the V can still be leveraging us with the turn bet.
4 Front door flush comes in
5 V shoves into us when the most obvious hand we can have is some kind of flush draw/
QhJh on turn is pair plus flush we would not fold that JhTh etc etc,. We have KhXh hands we might just call we also might be getting max value from 66 by just calling.
6 Do we have a note saying they are very agg and will ignore our actions. Will they blindly bluff this river? How frequently?
7 If no note we assume it leans to value not bluff. What value hands do this that we beat?
What range of blockers would this V turn into a bluff?

The act of creating the data list helps us to think more deeply about the hand.

As played in my player pool I fold river and get their stacks later in a better spot for me. My V try to give away their stacks often so I do not need to make a big hero call in a spot like this.

Hope this helps
:):)

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd have 4-bet. If he calls, then he is probably trying to connect with AQ+ or hit a set , and a C-Bet will make him fold. If he 5-bets or shoves then he probably has AA or KK and you can fold.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
In the ranges that I use AKo is 75% 4bet vs reg 3bets from SB. So, call is fine, even though it's low frequency. I think you played postflop fine too. I don't think it's fold on the river. We have a flush blocker and it's 3bet pot. We need to call down lightly.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mix 4 bet and call here, would tend to 4 bet more often vs the agro villains and call vs the tight.

I dont mind calling flop and turn.

But I agree with those saying this is not just a trivial fold on the river. Even at 5nl this is very villain dependent. Vs a face up nit who never bluffs it is an easy fold, but there are players who bluff here for sure, or fire the third barrel with AK which you chop with. Just make a note on villain and move on here, it was not a mistake unless you knew this villain was just a massive nit who never does this without the nuts or close to it.

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

-----

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players

Showdown:

SB wins $12.78

I am definitely 4 betting preflop to about 25 BBs.

As played, I will raise the flop and get it in if needs be.

Your passive play allowed him to control the hand and actually see his miracle river.

Thank you for posting

We want to make it 3x with stacks this deep preflop
Standard 6 max ranges are not that tight as you saw with 66 3 betting
so 4 betting AK is good here. We block AA KK and are flipping at worst so bigger pot is good we also are not chasing to make pairs if we miss and if we hit V can fold easily if we suddenly wake up and raise.

As to how to play post flop we want to extract max value from range so what does your V do with 66 if we raise?
If it is fold then you played flop and turn well.

So many of us have trouble on the river hoping we are winning -myself included- and calling not reverse analyzing the hand and making the decision based on that data. Your thoughts indicate you know this but could not act on it. That is a form of tilt. We fix our tilt issues by focusing on the data we have to make the Best decision.
Creating a data list off table will help us in the moment in game in similar spots.

Data list
1 Preflop 3 bet pot
2 Flop we call we either have a made hand or draw. Not likely chasing AX when the top card is a K V's range remains wide as they can be leveraging the K
3 We call again on turn vs a big bet. Do we do this with pairs smaller than a J? If not then the V can still be leveraging us with the turn bet.
4 Front door flush comes in
5 V shoves into us when the most obvious hand we can have is some kind of flush draw/
QhJh on turn is pair plus flush we would not fold that JhTh etc etc,. We have KhXh hands we might just call we also might be getting max value from 66 by just calling.
6 Do we have a note saying they are very agg and will ignore our actions. Will they blindly bluff this river? How frequently?
7 If no note we assume it leans to value not bluff. What value hands do this that we beat?
What range of blockers would this V turn into a bluff?

The act of creating the data list helps us to think more deeply about the hand.

As played in my player pool I fold river and get their stacks later in a better spot for me. My V try to give away their stacks often so I do not need to make a big hero call in a spot like this.

Hope this helps
:):)

For me what was said about using a 4bet is extremely correct, although the size that the villain made is not quite a light 3bet, because we are playing 6max (short handed), I believe that at least a 4bet from 3.25x to 4.5 is great x and maybe fold to 5bet.

Also, you had a backdoor flush draw on the flop, I thought I played correctly, even adopting this line of call IP and then call flop, call turn and call all in, it was certainly passive, with the backdraw board, not wanting to reraise villain it can be considered as passivity, but I think that hardly you, after having entered the hand, would have made a difference in your movements.

So my final consideration would be to say that it was fair to at least see it in some solver like the GTO wizard.

GL in life and felts.