$5 NLHE 6-max: 76o IP x Fish in the blinds. Too laggy x Aggro Donkey?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning Cardschat community (it is morning in brazil). I decided to play this hand because there was a nonsense player at the Big Blind which I have already seen to do weird things and try to bluff players where it shouldn't be bluffing.
Almost 100% of times I would be folding for his 3bet out of position, but in this particular scenario I decided to call in position and see a Flop. (Hero had 37% of Pot odds to call here)
The Flop is decent in my opinion because it's rainbow and gave Hero In Position an open-ended straight draw, in a very dry flop texture.
Now V in the BB elects to make a C-bet Flop of almost 100% Pot size, and in the situation Hero has 50% equity. My question is if I should have made Check-Raise/Push right now on the flop or if the call in position was okay. Because when a weak aggresive player decides to make such an unbalanced bet in the Flop it polarizes its range a lot (either it has the nuts or it has nothing at all). Besides when BB 3bets me 4x Preflop he will have a ton of AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, JT, and 88+ which completely missed this flop. So I thought Villain in the BB was overbluffing or overplaying its range.
In the Turn, my equity gets a little bit better but yet, I have nothing but a good semi-bluff. Villain in the Big Blind, double barrels, but now it slow down its horses and make a barely 1/2 Pot C-bet Turn. This is where I believe I made a second mistake:

A) I should have check-raised my open-ended straight draw in the Flop (?)
B) I should have check-raised my open-ended plus gutter in the Turn (?)
C) Should I have folded Preflop, even having information the BB was playing at the moment as an Aggro Donkey?

However, knowing that the player was a little bit insane, at the time the action happened I elected to call. The River comes a 7, which gave me Top Pair in a very calm board configuration and I knew that Villain in the BB could have 88, 99, TT, etc, but most of times, given this line of betting, it was just trying to bluff me out of the pot with a lot of missing Broadways. Please let me know what the community thinks.

Link to the hand using Cardschat Hand Converter (awesome!): https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/124mfxdAM

PS: is it wrong to post a hand here with only the link to the Cardschat Hand Converter?

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

good game and good luck at the tables always!

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your intention was good, but I also believe that your sequence is not profitable enough in nl5. You clearly played with a favorable board, but the betting sizes that villain proposed are quite disproportionate. And maybe your post flop equity is reduced with a flush line that opens on the turn (discounted with your blocker).
If we add that this is a paired board, the situation of your rank, is that you represent a position dominated from the beginning. That is, the villain probably wears a high combination. That includes hand pockets, which will neutralize many times your hand obtained on the river.
So I think this hand is fold preflop, after the increase of the villain. Basically your preflop range covers approximately 18% of all possible low combinations, which the v range could have. When villain increases and you call, you expose yourself too much on the turn, in a cheater texture, which could defeat you from the beginning, without investing too much money.
Greetings.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
76o is simply to loose. The times, you can get away with stealing a lot, is against nits in the blinds, who fold to much. If there are action players like this guy, you actually have to tighten up a little bit. Opening might not be a huge deal, but calling his 3-bet is a bit spewy.

Flop
If he C-bet to much, raising as a semi-bluff certainly have merits. Even his A high or K high has good equity, so whatever he might fold is good for you.

Turn
Your equity is halved now, so as playing just calling is fine.

River
Against an unknown this call is spewy, but you obviously had a good read and caught him bluffing all 3 streets.