$5 NLHE 6-max: $5 NLHE 6-max: KK oop losing value?

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Total posts
Snap on 888. Villain 15/15 after 14 hands.

Dont really like this as played on review. Do you just barrel off and be trying to get it all in vs this smaller stack? How do you play big overpairs on a board like this out of position? I turned a strong hand into more of a passive call down OOP, but if I think I'm ahead often enough surely I should just be trying to get it all in, either by barreling (and maybe folding to a reraise on turn) or check/raising the turn?

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 68 BB
SB: 170.2 BB
BB: 80.4 BB
Hero (UTG): 128.2 BB
MP: 93.6 BB
CO: 200 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K K

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.4 BB, 2 players) 3 T Q
Hero bets 5.8 BB, BTN calls 5.8 BB

Turn: (19 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BTN bets 14.4 BB, Hero calls 14.4 BB

River: (47.8 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BTN bets 13 BB, Hero calls 13 BB

BTN shows J A (One Pair, Eights)
(Pre 28%, Flop 20%, Turn 20%)
Hero shows K K (Two Pair, Kings and Eights)
(Pre 72%, Flop 80%, Turn 80%)
Hero wins 69.6 BB

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Total posts
Awards
On a fairly dry board, I don't hate bet / check line in this spot at all. You need to be doing this a % of the time. As played, I'd likely value lead unless I had some stats that said my opponent was fairly aggressive and I'm going into bluff catching mode. But you don't want Tx, JJ, or some weak Qx to check behind.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Total posts
Awards
As played, vs that villain, you got absolute max value by allowing him to bluff both turn and river.

The best line for any particular holding is so villain dependent that I don't think you can make generalisations about the best way to play a certain hand in a certain spot without taking specific villain tendencies into account.

300HPGOD

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Personally I dont like checking the turn there. Yes it worked out here but you have to be sure that villain is someone that will do that. Plus you have to be sure they would be betting with their 2nd and lower pairs where at times they will be checking back. The river pairing the board see the villain check back a lot with hands that have some showdown value that would have called a bet from you. Its only air hands with the right type of villain that will keep betting. This was a zoom hand where you had 15 hands on them so that would be tough to know. In situations like this where you dont know the villain I think betting the turn is better and trying to get value that way. There are some cards that could come on the river too that we dont like too much so I would try for value on the turn thinking that if they have nothing at this point and fold that I wouldnt get any more value in the hand anyway.