$5 NLHE 6-max: 3 Bet AQo and missed flop

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Total posts
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 15/12/4

Made a real mess of this one haha. Pretty tired tonight so took it as a sign and stopped after this hand before a similar blunder cost me.

Anyway, feel this was pretty terrible after the flop. How would you player this hand?

Frustratingly, villain's stats held all the info I needed to player this better. 289 hands, 15/12/4 and WTSD only 22%, Won Showdown 75. Also fold to flop C Bet was 85!! All that considered, I think I could have bet about $1 on the flop and been pretty sure I was behind if I got a call or a raise.

Furthermore, his calling range pre flop is surely a load of pairs judging from his stats, maybe with AQ and AJs, but at 15/12 his calling range seems to be very narrow. In other words, a hell of a lot more combinations that beat me on that turn than I chop with. So yeah, tired and badly play, I think. Suckered myself in not wanting to get bluffed out of a chopped pot.

The river speaks for itself when you remove the spoiler, but is not really important to the analysis.

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 61 BB
BTN: 107 BB
SB: 100 BB
Hero (BB): 114.8 BB
UTG: 144.6 BB
MP: 19.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q A

fold, MP raises to 4 BB, fold, BTN calls 4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 13 BB, MP raises to 19.8 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 15.8 BB, Hero calls 6.8 BB

Flop: (59.8 BB, 3 players) J J 2
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (59.8 BB, 3 players) 2
Hero bets 20.8 BB, BTN raises to 87.2 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 66.4 BB

River: (234.2 BB, 3 players) Q

BTN shows 9 9 (Two Pair, Jacks and Nines)

Main Pot [59.8 BB]: (Pre 51%, Flop 71%, Turn 85%)
Side Pot#1 [174.4 BB]: (Pre 59%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)

Hero shows Q A (Two Pair, Queens and Jacks)

Main Pot [59.8 BB]: (Pre 33%, Flop 22%, Turn 13%)
Side Pot#1 [174.4 BB]: (Pre 41%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)

MP shows A 3 (Two Pair, Jacks and Twos)

Main Pot [59.8 BB]: (Pre 16%, Flop 8%, Turn 2%)

Hero wins 57 BB
Hero wins 165.6 BB

F

fifille07

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Mmm.. Happy for you, but I suggest never do this again ��

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Preflop
I prefer the 3-bet to be a little larger. The MP jam is unfortunately to small to reopen the betting, so you have no other option than just calling. Obviusly never folding any hand for that price preflop.

Flop
In a multiway pot, where someone is all-in, and the side pot is dry, there is very little value in bluffing. Even if you make BTN fold, you still need to beat MP at showdown, so checking is definitely the right play here.

Turn
Nothing changed other than the fact, you now chop with any other AX, and there is still no good reason to bet. He is never calling you with K high, and even if you get him to fold another AX, you still need to beat MP at showdown. Betting is a pretty big mistake already, and calling his jam is honestly just terrible, as I think, you already know :)

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Total posts
Yeah man that was my 'D' game on full display. But don't mind posting hands I massacred, good learning experience.

Like, you reach a point where many spots just come naturally, but there are always others that I know I commonly butcher that I need to improve a lot on. Any time I feel confused or know I screwed up, is a good one to get opinions on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Its definitely a good idea to look at hands, where we made mistakes, because obviously thats the way, we fix some of those mistakes and get better. I also like, that you did not see the result as confirmation of your play. A lot of people would tend to quickly forget about a hand like this, because they hit on the river. But this is just as results oriented as focusing on bad beats. You got it in on the turn as a call with 6 outs, and thats not, where we want to find ourselfes to often in poker. Not to mention the fact, that now and then he will actually have a J or more rarely a 2, and you are drawing completely dead :)