$5 NLHE 6-max: 1. Check-raised flop 2. donk bet on flop, how to continue.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having a lot of trouble with 5 nl... not sure where to fold, where to be aggressive.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 23.6 BB (VPIP: 30.43, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 23)
BB: 348.2 BB (VPIP: 20.27, PFR: 13.51, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, Hands: 76)
UTG: 127.2 BB (VPIP: 19.53, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 2.13, Hands: 129)
MP: 67 BB (VPIP: 58.10, PFR: 19.05, 3Bet Preflop: 5.77, Hands: 108)
CO: 94.4 BB (VPIP: 21.18, PFR: 14.12, 3Bet Preflop: 2.94, Hands: 88)
Hero (BTN): 133.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q A

fold, MP calls 1 BB, fold, Hero raises to 4.4 BB, fold, fold, MP calls 3.4 BB

Flop: (10.2 BB, 2 players) T Q 2
MP checks, Hero bets 5 BB, MP raises to 25.2 BB, Hero calls 20.2 BB

Turn: (60.6 BB, 2 players) 5
MP checks, Hero checks

River: (60.6 BB, 2 players) K
MP bets 37.4 BB and is all-in, fold

MP wins 57.6 BB

0.8 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

------------

And here I was tilting, so the end of the hand is screwy. What do we do on the flop, though?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 114.2 BB (VPIP: 34.69, PFR: 8.16, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 51)
Hero (CO): 102.4 BB
BTN: 87.2 BB (VPIP: 23.40, PFR: 19.15, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 50)
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 22.64, PFR: 19.81, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 108)
BB: 103.8 BB (VPIP: 26.09, PFR: 21.01, 3Bet Preflop: 7.50, Hands: 139)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A T

UTG raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls 4 BB

Flop: (13.4 BB, 2 players) 3 K J
UTG bets 6.6 BB, Hero calls 6.6 BB

Turn: (26.6 BB, 2 players) 2
UTG bets 19.8 BB, Hero raises to 69.4 BB, UTG calls 49.6 BB

River: (165.4 BB, 2 players) T
UTG checks, Hero bets 20.4 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 20.4 BB

UTG shows Q K (Flush, King High)
(Pre 42%, Flop 50%, Turn 70%)
Hero shows A T (One Pair, Tens)
(Pre 58%, Flop 50%, Turn 30%)
UTG wins 196 BB

3.2 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 - 3 bet jam flop with both straight and flush draws on board. We have TPTK and back door hearts and V is short stacked. As played I fold river too.

Hand 2 - UTG is opening 8%, this is not the guy we want to 3 bet bluff with ATcc. His UTG range should be even tighter than his already tight 8%. Just flat flop, flat turn, fold river. If you do 3 bet bluff then raise flop jam turn. Seems like you switched gears from aggressive pre to passive flop and back to aggressive turn. This flop crushes a 3 bet range and crushes our hand specifically. I don't know how you just flat here after 3 betting pre.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read my post and it sounds harsh. Didn't mean to come off like that. Another option for Hand 2 I think I prefer is to fold pre since everyone behind us has a decent 3 bet percentage and we don't want to 3 bet ourselves.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First Hand jam flop due to SPR.

Second Hand x/c flop, x/c turn, fold river.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A) I'm having a lot of trouble with 5 nl... not sure where to fold, where to be aggressive.

B) And here I was tilting, so the end of the hand is screwy. What do we do on the flop, though?

Good morning teh_colonel_saigon, how you doing? Happy holidays!
The first hand you played well preflop. I like your sizing here. Because the fish is likely to call you with 70%, 60% frequency and with 50%, 40% range, at minimum. As they don't care about price many times, they will limp-call more often.
When you raise higher, you are trying to build a pot preflop, which is awesome. The recreational in the MP has only 67 BB of effective stack.
We are in the top of our range and we have position over a recreational player. Wonderful!
Because of the Stack Sizings, Hero has 130 BB and Villain has 60 BB we are almost committed here with AQs, AKs, and depending how fishy even AJs.
When we raise the limper and the limper re-raises us Preflop, sorry I don't know the name of this move, do we have any plans of folding AQs, AKs or even 99+ Preflop? I guess not.
Because of the SPR we are already in when we got a Top Pair in the Flop, for example.

Nice Flop!

Flop: (10.2 BB, 2 players) T Q♣ 2♣
MP checks, Hero bets 5 BB, MP raises to 25.2 BB, Hero calls 20.2 BB

I love our C-bet flop here, we like the size too, because villain is not folding any draw right now and the board is high-connected. When the recreational in the MP, check-raises flop that big we should know what kind of fish is this. But the other hand is such a great price for a player who will show a lot of trash in a spot like that and a ton of draws.
MP doesn't have the nuts here for doing this move, so awkward. If MP had the nuts, something like TT, 22, or for a miracle QQ, or hands that he believe to be the nuts such as T2s, Q2s, QTo, QTs, which are in its limping range, also could not be raising here, because of the high connectivity of the board.
Many straight draws and flush draws, maybe. I like your calling here but you also could jam right off the bat, because you will have the best hand most of cases in a spot like it. There are some many Qx that MP could have called you, worse Queens, and the SPR fact, that, I suppose both calling to jam Turn/River is okay, or jamming right on the Flop.
I guess there was nothing to else to do here. The guy will hit his KQ, once in a while, will hit his flushes and straights. Once in a while MP will show a set, but very rare.
For the price we started the hand, it was always on our plans to put all the chips in the middle if we hit Top Pair for example.
If we hit nothing, not a draw, not a pair you could simply check-fold depending on the style of this recreational, either if it is too much passive or too much aggresive.

Hand 2: Do not play when you are tilted. Better, when you feel a little discomfort, impatiente, anger, just get out of the table. Forget poker for good and try to do something else as walking, watch movies, read a book.
I will not comment this hand, because, as you said, you were tilted, so you were not playing your best game by far. Decisions we make when we are nervous costs us a lot and make no sense.
Does the Hand 1 has anything to do with the behavior in the Hand 2?

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa