Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.02/$.05
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
See hand below - no stats on villain prior to this hand so had to treat as generic $5NL pool profile.

Interested in your thoughts on line taken and whether I could have played it differently? In particular whether the flop x/r from villain should have been my fold point?

How often do I have to call this turn? I just don't see how I can ever call when it smacks his range to my mind, but want to confirm I wasn't too nitty....He's weighted to AA,KK, AK and AXs - the x/r on the flop suggests his bluffs should be AcXc which got there on the turn. At best i'm chopping vs the other QQ in my head.

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $6.40 (128 bb)
MP (Hero): $5.00 (100 bb)
CO: $12.39 (248 bb)
BU: $5.27 (105 bb)
SB: $7.10 (142 bb)
BB: $7.29 (146 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is MP with Q Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.12, 2 players fold, SB calls $0.10, BB 3-bets to $0.45, Hero 4-bets to $1.10, 1 fold, BB calls $0.65

Flop: ($2.32) 8 7 3 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.73, BB raises to $1.65, Hero calls $0.92

Turn:
($5.62) K (2 players)
BB bets $4.54 (all-in), MP (Hero) folds

Total pot: $5.62 (Rake: $0.23)
BB wins $5.39

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The opponent's value range is very narrow. By default I would eliminate 80% of AA and KK combinations, since OOP are 5-betting all day.
The turn being Kc is interesting, because now the V can no longer have the AKcc, KQcc, and KJcc combos. Also, considering that it is a 4-bet pot, I find it really strange to find many random combinations that have beaten you on the turn.
You really only lose with AQcc, AJcc and 9Tcc. The rest are hands you beat in my opinion.
Greetings.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
3bets at 5NL are very value heavy. Some players will be JJ+ and AK, others AA and KK only, whilst others will have a few bluffs and lesser value hands like TT and AQs. In the absence of info on villain I think 4 betting QQ from the HJ is a mistake, you have position and will be in good shape v the 3betting range. Having 4 bet and got called it's likely the BB has a strong hand. I would definitely include AA and KK in his range even though they would get 5 bet off sometimes.

It's difficult to see what he is x-raising with prob AA, KK or a flush draw, possibly AK that doesnt know what to do. When you call the x-raise you have put half your stack in and there are tons of bad turn cards, so a 3bet all-in is certainly an option, as presumably you are not folding on a safe turn and getting stacked to AA and KK, whilst folding out draws would be useful. As it happens we have an awful turn card and an easy fold.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks both - helpful thoughts.

On reflection and taking on-board your comments I think the flop response to the x/r became a shove/fold decision for me so was a bad call.

I think I’m fine to 4 bet this hand in position as I think his 3 bet is wide, but agree you mix the call and raise. The call from him focuses me on AK, KQs, QQ and JJ for his most probably range, with a small amount of AA/KK getting tricky.

Given the flop texture and my above thoughts, he’s either bluffing his draws or has JJ+. I’m flipping against that range and so given the pot size I probably have to shove and ride it out or fold.

My thinking in the hand was to shove any brick turn, but ultimately as you said there are a tonne of bad turns here so this outcome was inevitable.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
keep in mind these types of spots are very villain dependent. Some villains have 88 and 77 at small % here and some never do, also some players always would bet flush draw, but some would check back and hope to see the turn. Imho, rather than thinking about how to play gto, you should pay attention to villain's stats and how they play these spots. In general population underbluffs many spots, so fold on the turn is not bad. But, your shove on the flop also might be a bad move against certain players who would always show KK+.

K

kostja007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that the 3bcall is the better option. Also you have position. As played I would say I bet big on that kind of flop, because you are not blocking flushes and every A, K and Club on the turn destroys the action. On the other hand JJ, TT may call.