5/10 limit - AKs

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you bet the flop to save yourself from calling a bigger turn bet if you miss again, mrsnake

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK OK< I missed the position on this, I admit it, lol. I would still just check then. Suppose you bet and he check raises you, then what? From every indication he isn't going to fold and is certainly capable of check raisining either a big hand or a total bluff. Ask yourself this, if he check/raises what do you think he has a bluff or a strong hand? If you think a strong hand then you have to fold thereby losing the chance to see the next card for free, if you think he's bluffing, then you call and if it turns out he's not or even going all the way witha pair of 2s or something, you lose more than you need to. I understand that there is a chance you still have the best hand here, but any pair at all beats you. Why risk alot of chips when you can't possibly be confident of having best hand with ace high. Save as many bets as possible when you can't even be 50% sure you have the best of it. It looks like villan will not fold with any pair so he can't be bluffed out at this point with any hand he has that beats you, so all your bets would either be value bets or blocking bets. You can't bet for value here obviously and I'm not at all confident that a blocking bet will work with this opponent. So what are you trying to accomplish with a bet now, if A: you can't be confident of having best hand, B) You can't steal the pot against a hand that beat you and C) You probably aren't going to slow him down.

brown110

brown110

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd just check here, as crazy as the villan is you won't get any information here by betting. Check and see if you don't inprove on the turn.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suppose you bet and he check raises you, then what? From every indication he isn't going to fold and is certainly capable of check raisining either a big hand or a total bluff.

then you are in as deep as you are if you check the flop and are forced to call a bigger bet on the turn

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but you aren't obligated to call the turn if a truck hits.

If you do plan on seeing the river card, you can flop-check, turn call 1 BB (total cost $10); flop-bet, turn check/check (total cost $5) or flop-bet and call reraise, call turn bet (total $20) . Or even, and I'm not saying this is likely, Check-flop, check/check- turn (total cost $0)

So best case you can see the river for $0, worst case for $20. The only one that costs you $20 is betting the flop.

And please don't think I'm saying you are wrong. I'm probably totally off here, but since I only have ace high here I want to see the next card(s) as cheaply as possible.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but by keeping the momentum you give yourself the other way to win (he folds)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, I wouldn't be particularly opposed 3-betting this flop if he check-raises you. Why not rep Aces, carry through on the Turn, and get him to fold his pocket Eights? If he check-raises the turn after you 3-bet the flop, you can be pretty sure he has a very strong hand and your outs probably aren't outs anyway, so no need to see the river card. More likely he folds a medium pair after your bet on the Turn, or if he has a pair, just calls, and gives you a free showdown on the river card. But then I generally play Limit like a maniac and this might not work at 5/10.

Last edited: