$5/10 FL HE Heads-Up: Hi folks! I'm Herbie... Lemme jump right in with a question about a hand I played.

• Thread starter honderdzeventien
  • Start date
H

honderdzeventien

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
Fixed Limit
Stakes
$5/$10
Table Format
Heads-up (2 seats)
Currency
$
Hey Forum members, I'd like to know your opinion on the next hand:

On the table there's Q-5-5-2-Q
My hand is 2-4
Opponent's got K-A

Who'll win? Cause I'm stuck here with a confidence crisis with a friend. He said ''the kicker decides'' whilst my opinion is that my pair of 2's trumps his K-A kicker. In other words: I think he cheated, while at the same moment, he claims he's right. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I do not know the rules well enough...
But this thing bugs me, I want to know.

My name is Herbie, I'm playing now for a couple of years, didn't make any profits in real money yet, but since I'm doing well I thought to maybe explore some possibilities. But I wanted to do some research, and get to know a bit about the community and/or possibilities. So I ended up registering on this forum, I might learn a thing or two. Or twenty.

Cheers, lads and Lasses, please to meet you all!

Good-sport regards from Herbie, aka honderdzeventien

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
The best five card combination in this situation is Q-5-5-Q-A. So your opponent wins. If you had for example 66 in your hand you would have won. But if you would had 33 or 44 you would have lost.

And welcome to Cardschat (y)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Unfortunately you lost, your pair is smaller than the pair of 5 and the lady, so the A for being bigger card, predominates. If you had only one pair, you'd win with two pairs

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Here at Cardschat there is a 30-day course, totally free

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everything the friends said is correct, there is no possibility of 3 pairs, so since there are already two on the table, bigger than yours, you lose the pair.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, there is no such thing as "3 pair" in Hold`em, because you can only use 5 cards to make the winning hand. Your opponent had two pair QQ and 55 with an A kicker, which beat your same two pair QQ and 55 with a 4 kicker. What happened to you on the river is called a counterfeit. On paper your hand improved from two pair 55 and 22 with a Q kicker to a better two pair QQ and 55 with a 4 kicker. But in reality it was a terrible card for you, because almost every possible hand, your opponent could have, also improved to a hand, which now beat you. Essentially your hand is now only 4 high, and the only possible hands, you can still beat, are 33 and 32, while you chop with 44, 43 and 42.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hey Forum members, I'd like to know your opinion on the next hand:

On the table there's Q-5-5-2-Q
My hand is 2-4
Opponent's got K-A

Who'll win? Cause I'm stuck here with a confidence crisis with a friend. He said ''the kicker decides'' whilst my opinion is that my pair of 2's trumps his K-A kicker. In other words: I think he cheated, while at the same moment, he claims he's right. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I do not know the rules well enough...
But this thing bugs me, I want to know.

My name is Herbie, I'm playing now for a couple of years, didn't make any profits in real money yet, but since I'm doing well I thought to maybe explore some possibilities. But I wanted to do some research, and get to know a bit about the community and/or possibilities. So I ended up registering on this forum, I might learn a thing or two. Or twenty.

Cheers, lads and Lasses, please to meet you all!

Good-sport regards from Herbie, aka honderdzeventien
Your pair of deuces is counterfeited by two better pairs on the board so AK wins

H

honderdzeventien

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
The best five card combination in this situation is Q-5-5-Q-A. So your opponent wins. If you had for example 66 in your hand you would have won. But if you would had 33 or 44 you would have lost.

And welcome to Cardschat (y)
Thanks, this clears up a lot. I understand now. It was a lousy hand at that moment anyway. And of course, a ''three pair'' can't exist, cause it doesn't. I might pick up that course, but not right now. Busy daddy;-)
And nice to have found an engaged forum, thanks ppl! I appreciate it a lot. With my mind cleared I can take a closer, and better, look at this here forum.

See you around I guess...

:giggle:

licardchatfy

licardchatfy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
I like that question. Many people don't know the answer.
Thanks buddy

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In all poker games, the 5 cards with the highest denomination win. In the THP modality, the best combination of them wins along with your 2 personal cards. In this case, the fifth best card is held by your opponent (A) and since she plays to break the tie it is called kicker.
Greetings.

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
You play 5-10 and you don't know something like that? You should really take the 30 day course.

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In short, your hand is counterfeited on that board Q-5-5-2-Q best hand is QQ55 Ace high. So AK wins. If you had an Ace you would split the pot. Google examples of hands that have been counterfeited to learn more. And as others have said yeah you need to know this at whatever level you are playing as the dealers sometimes miss things like this and give the pot to the wrong player. Good luck.

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You said you've been playing for a few years and you don't know who won that hand?? :unsure:
As already mentioned here, I think you really need to take the Cardschat course.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands