$400 NLHE Full Ring: Top set on str8, flush board.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is a Tight, semi passive player that seems to be aware of his image. stacked around 250 BB Playing passive usually, seen him run a big bluff though. Also saw him check call with a set all the way to the river. Seems like maybe he is scared money outside of his roll?

Hero is, of course, lag. Been bullying this table, lucked into a donk fest, picking up stacks left and right. 900 BB +

Action folds to hero.
Hero raises to 15 with Ac As
Action folds to villain.
Villain calls 15 from bttn.
Blinds fold.

Flop: 4d 5d Ah pot: 37

Hero tanks, bets 30
Villain snap-calls.

Turn: 6d pot: 97

Hero checks.
Villain bets 35
Hero raises to 130
Villain calls.

River: Js pot: 353

Hero bets 200
Villain raises all in.
Hero?

Most of my brain wanted to give him credit for at least the str8 here given his image, but he usually plays big hands like flushes much slower. IDK, what fo you guys think about a call here?

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the stack depth? How much did he move in for over your raise?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry should have made that more clear. This is 2/5 nl, not 2/4, as well.

Villain is stacked for 1250

His river stack size is about 1000 even, so he jams for 800 more.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WHY would you check-raise the turn?? This was your biggest mistake imo. A set is not a great hand on a board like this, so no need to inflate the pot especially OOP. His bet-call there should let you know he has a very strong hand.

Therefore, the river should be a check. Fold as played.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check raise the turn to see if i'm ahead. I think its a spot where i have some fold equity against his straights, as well as some of his flush draw-pair combos lik Adx (I think he is passive enough to fold that.). When he calls i figure to behind.

Idk why i lead the river, that was sorta stupid.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I check raise the turn to see if i'm ahead. I think its a spot where i have some fold equity against his straights, as well as some of his flush draw-pair combos lik Adx (I think he is passive enough to fold that.). When he calls i figure to behind.

Idk why i lead the river, that was sorta stupid.

I would say, generally speaking, do not check-raise to see if you're ahead. The need to keep the pot manageable is more important here.

Somethings to consider...

He's never folding a straight here on the turn.

If he's passive enough to fold to a check-raise with an Ad, why would he bet it in the first place?? He's either passive or he isn't.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As hes tight isn't it unlikely that he has a straight on such a low board. And if that is the case then a more likely holding by the river is a hand with at least the A of diamonds in it.

Certainly the way the betting went his hand is very unlikely that he has a straight as what is he expecting to be called with other then a flush with his jam on the river. So his hand is very polarized into the nut flush or close to the nut flush or some Ax with the A of diamonds in it which makes an excellent bluff.

Full Flush Poker