$4 PLO 6-max: JJJ flop with KKxx

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since the PLO thread is getting no love I thought i'd post it here. Had been playing this guy HU for about 30 minutes ~100 hands and he was a average regular who had seen me bluff AI on one pot. I had a feeling he wanted to 'get one over' on me to get me back.

My plan was to b/f river but he shoved so quickly I had doubts as to if he was bluffing.

All I can conclude is AAxx is probably 4bet pre (and i have a blocker) so he has either a jack or air, maybe a badly played QQ but in general his hand is very polarized.

Merge - $0.04 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha - 2 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

SB: $6.61
Hero (BB): $5.03

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has 6s Kc Kh Ac

SB raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.36, SB calls $0.24

Flop: ($0.72, 2 players) Jh Js Jc
Hero checks, SB checks

Turn: ($0.72, 2 players) Ad
Hero checks, SB bets $0.48, Hero calls $0.48

River: ($1.68, 2 players) 8c
Hero bets $1.05, SB raises to $4.83, fold

SB wins $3.60

N

NoOneYouKnow

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not played a whole heap of PLO heads up but to be honest, you could not drag me away from kkxx in this spot. There is no way he ever shows up with AA because of no 4b and 2 blockers, so you are putting him solely on jx. Hell, I would raise every river here if I was villain because you look so weak. Could still quite easily be qqxx or something like TT98 raising for value + bluffs.

I don't know, I don't think anyone on CC plays PLO hu, so I am not sure you are going to be able to generate much of a response tbh.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not played a whole heap of PLO heads up but to be honest, you could not drag me away from kkxx in this spot. There is no way he ever shows up with AA because of no 4b and 2 blockers, so you are putting him solely on jx. Hell, I would raise every river here if I was villain because you look so weak. Could still quite easily be qqxx or something like TT98 raising for value + bluffs.

I don't know, I don't think anyone on CC plays PLO hu, so I am not sure you are going to be able to generate much of a response tbh.

But imagine if I flopped quads against a player I have mind games with, surely i'd play it pretty similar. Therefore it's pretty hard for him to rule out I have Jxxx so shoving on the river is mighty strong from him.
I think QQxx and TTxx both call the river here as they have good showdown value but when they raise it'd turn their hand into a bluff.

N

NoOneYouKnow

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But imagine if I flopped quads against a player I have mind games with, surely i'd play it pretty similar. Therefore it's pretty hard for him to rule out I have Jxxx so shoving on the river is mighty strong from him.
I think QQxx and TTxx both call the river here as they have good showdown value but when they raise it'd turn their hand into a bluff.

I want to comment but I also want to stress that I don't necessarily think that I am right and you are wrong. I just think there is some flawed logic in the comment that needs addressing.

Your actions up to and including the river is check/check, check/call, lead. Now whilst the villain can not rule out Jxxx as part of your range, I find it hard to believe that your entire range with this line is Jxxx. Looks to me like you are trying to keep the pot small, and want a cheap showdown. I would raise. I would raise smaller granted, but I would raise the river a lot.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to comment but I also want to stress that I don't necessarily think that I am right and you are wrong. I just think there is some flawed logic in the comment that needs addressing.

Your actions up to and including the river is check/check, check/call, lead. Now whilst the villain can not rule out Jxxx as part of your range, I find it hard to believe that your entire range with this line is Jxxx. Looks to me like you are trying to keep the pot small, and want a cheap showdown. I would raise. I would raise smaller granted, but I would raise the river a lot.

Yep fair point. I guess we'll never know. In HE its stupid putting people on one hand, I feel the same with PLO trying to put a player on one card. I'm still happy with my fold here though, I didn't have too much invested in the pot at the time anyway.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could see someone who is a total newb shoving Ax here but it'd have to be a total spazz with a history of spew between you guys for an average reg to get creative enough to shove QQ here IMO. This looks like classic slowplay and he's trying to cooler you.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why you checked that flop after 3 betting pre. That is a must lead IMO. Also I am check calling the river.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Think again!

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why you checked that flop after 3 betting pre. That is a must lead IMO. Also I am check calling the river.

Well I figured it'd be pretty easy to bluff raise me. I c-bet about $0.59 and he raises to about $1.40. It's a cheap raise which I can't do anything about. I can't call and I can't shove because he'll just call with better and fold with worse. Therefore I decided to check/call to the river and get a cheap SD by b/fing river.

Good to see another PLO player, for the record I don't play HU PLO, it just happened no-one else was at the table :)

Also thanks for the input Baudib makes me feel more re-assured.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mostly 6 Max PLO and most times there isn't much action post flop multiway on a JJJ flop as someone might have Jxxx
Of course HU is different but I think c/c/b is good as you are looking for a call on the river and any big raise I would fold as well. The other option I might do is with a passive postflop player is c/b/b

Looking to get called or fold on the turn and river and I will fold to any raise on turn or river