$4 NLHE Full Ring: $ NLHE Full Ring: must fold?

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read through quite a few posts on this forum, but never have posted before. So here is my first post, a hand that I would like some feedback on. (I did not save the hand history so I will try to explain as best as possible).

I had been sitting at the table for around 30 hands (full ring, .03/.06 blinds) , and the villian had played only 1 other hand in which he limped with 44 and won the hand when he flopped a set. I had no notes on him prior. He had about $27, with a max buy-in of $6 (I had about $9)

So here's the hand and thanks in advance.

I am dealt 88 and folded to in middle position, I limp. Tight villian calls in the cutoff and blinds limp in as well.

Flop: 6 A A

I bet 1/4 the pot , villian calls and blinds fold.

Turn: 8

I bet 3/4 pot, villian calls

River: 6

I bet 1/2 pot, villian goes all-in, I ???

I figured this guy probably had the Ace, and I didn't want to risk all my chips with the 2nd best full house. What do you think?

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise preflop!

He probably does have an ace, I would fold this. I'm guessing you didn't have too much invested already - since you didn't raise preflop the pot won't be that big.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im folding probably. I don't really see him doing this as a bluff and there's not many 6s a "tight" player will have here. You really need to raise preflop though

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general people's ranges will be wide enough that calling can't be bad but this guy probably is incapable of a bluff. raise pre.

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So its clear u should have raised preflop...would you also raise preflop with a lower pocket pair say 22-66? also if you raise preflop and get 3-bet, do u fold? Call? 4bet? It obviously depends on the style of play but assume an unknown opponent. Any help would be appreciated I'm a relatively new player (I actually thought I knew a little bit until I found this forum and realize I know nothing)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So its clear u should have raised preflop...would you also raise preflop with a lower pocket pair say 22-66? also if you raise preflop and get 3-bet, do u fold? Call? 4bet? It obviously depends on the style of play but assume an unknown opponent. Any help would be appreciated I'm a relatively new player (I actually thought I knew a little bit until I found this forum and realize I know nothing)
Great 1st step. It's the right attitude to go very far.

From MP on I raise all pocket pairs. I'd recommend folding them from EP at least until you're a little more comfortable with playing them postflop. If you get 3bet it's generally by a range that crushes you so you should fold. Don't use getting 3bet as a reason not to raise though since micro stakes players generally don't 3bet enough to begin with.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't ever open limp any hand so this is a raise preflop for me. This changes the complexion of the hand a lot. As played I guess a bet here is fine but I never bet less than half the pot so I would have made it a lot more. Turn is good. River is a check/call something small. Fold to anything reasonable.

Folding in Poker