€4 NLHE 6-max: Brutal straight against my set

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 42/32/1

I have no idea what I did wrong? I was sure he can't have seven but what happened :mad:
iPoker - €0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 154.75 BB (VPIP: 27.56, PFR: 22.44, 3Bet Preflop: 2.92, Hands: 479)
BTN: 127.5 BB (VPIP: 42.11, PFR: 31.58, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 20)
SB: 126.5 BB (VPIP: 24.83, PFR: 15.74, 3Bet Preflop: 2.58, Hands: 608)
Hero (BB): 150 BB
UTG: 114.75 BB (VPIP: 72.09, PFR: 4.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 47)
MP: 125 BB (VPIP: 23.96, PFR: 18.12, 3Bet Preflop: 8.16, Hands: 291)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T T

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) 6 4 8
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, BTN bets 6 BB, SB calls 6 BB, Hero calls 6 BB, fold

Turn: (30 BB, 3 players) T
SB checks, Hero bets 30 BB, BTN calls 30 BB, fold

River: (90 BB, 2 players) 9
Hero bets 45 BB, BTN raises to 88.5 BB, Hero calls 43.5 BB

BTN shows 7 9 (Straight, Ten High)
(Pre 18%, Flop 24%, Turn 77%)
Hero mucks T T (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 82%, Flop 76%, Turn 23%)
BTN wins 244.75 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the turn its just a cooler, and its fine to get stacked, but I dont think, you played preflop and flop optimally. Especially preflop it is to passive to just call. When you take TT 4-ways to the flop, you are essentially playing it as a setmine, which mean, you get little more value, than you do from 22. With dead money from two field callers this is a perfect spot for a squeeze play. You can take down a 10.5 BB pot right here and now, which is fantastic, or you can create a heads up situation, where your hand perform better.

As played this is one of the rare situations, where I would advocate to lead the flop. You are likely to have the best hand, but its also very vulnerable, so you dont want it to get checked through and give everyone a free card to get there with their KJ or AQ or whatever. Also initiative matter less in multiway pots, and the preflop raiser is not likely to be betting with air, just because he is the preflop raiser.

On the turn you spike top set, awesome. And now I would advocate going for a check-raise rather than lead for the size of the pot. He would then have gone all in, and still stacked you, but a check-raise is better against his entire range, and you give SB a better chance to put more money in behind.

The main point here though is to 3-bet preflop. A solid 3-bet preflop might have gotten 97s out of the hand, and if he still continue, at least you are charging him to try to draw out on you and cutting down on his implied odds. So in a sense you created your own cooler here by playing to passive preflop and allowing him to see a cheap flop.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the great answer fundiver199 .

Yeah, I agree, I have been too passive lately. I considered to 3bet PF, terrible mistake. This hand was one of the last hands in not profitable session, so I was a little bit tilted and too scared to raise.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your mistake was to call preflop.
You had a good hand to prevent several limpers from being active.
The objective in these cases is to prevent many people from joining the well, to reduce the variance.
Perhaps with a 4x increase we are more likely to eliminate speculative combos and isolate ourselves with narrow ranges that can pay up to 3 bets (AK; AQ; AJ)
Anyway, this board is taking a very co-structured structure, for which we must act wisely.
In the flop we should place a bet for value.
It can be between 50-70% size of the boat.
If we get paid, we should probably evaluate a check-push on the turn.
The process consists of blocking streets to the limpers and isolating ourselves with hands that want to be used as lantern receivers: AT; 6-8; 8-8 and in the highest range: A-A; K-K; Q-Q; J-J.
Using this strategy decreases the probability of encountering speculative hands that defeat us on the river.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is unfortunate, but with the river card putting 4 to a straight on the board, I think a check and fold/call depending on his bet sizing would have been better.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That really is a cooler. You have an overpair on the flop and turn a set. You have to think you're good there.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with all that was said. Going through the hand, you are really only losing to 79, which that dude had.

Bet the flop, check raise the turn, GII if you can then.

Preflop 3-betting may not seem to comfortable, but if you 3-bet a good amount (i liked the 4x of initial bet size), you'll go to a flop heads up, likely. 97 is losing in the long run calling that.

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you did your best. We'll see straight very very and very rarely. 79s are unreadble) A7s won't call you often on the turn and you beat all 2pairs sets and overpares. Good all-in