Hero bets €0.25, UTG calls €0.25

Turn: (€1.32) K
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

River: (€1.32) 2
(2 players)
Hero bets €0.88, UTG raises to €3.71 (all-in), Hero calls €2.83

Total pot: €8.74 (Rake: €0.50)

River was targeting some values from JJ-99 but faced a raise. KQcc is perhaps the best bluff catcher I can have aside from obvious KK that beats 66. Bet-fold here would be a very significant adjustment.

What would be your play without read against player with robust VPIP/PFR over small sample?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I lean towards just calling from BB with KQs. From SB I would be more inclined to throw this in as a 3-bet.

Flop
I like a slightly larger C-bet. You want him to fold A high, and for this size he might actually float.

Turn
Checking now certainly does a good job of underrepresenting your hand, but it would also be fine to go for another small bet to charge all his pocket pairs and maybe a hand like KJs.

River
When he check back turn, you have to bet for value now charging those pocket pairs. His raise is definitely weird, because if he wanted to play for stacks, why did he not just bet the turn and then jam the river? Relying on you to bet the river for him, so he can raise, is a very strange choise.

So I think, I would also get curious here and call almost just to see, what he had. You are hoping to see some spazz raise with a hand like 77, which he feel is not strong enough to call, but he also dont want to fold. In reality though he probably has some silly slowplay most of the time, and you end up losing. Maybe a hand like 66, that flopped a full house.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though you're only 5 handed, vs a raise from effective UTG, I prefer a call with KQs from the BB.

After that, I think river is a call. Not really fist pumping, but a call.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd continue to bet the turn. As played, a river call is probably borderline ok. I'm not going to combo count, but he'll have some better AK, KQ split, 8x, and busted flush draws. Pretty close for the price.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually this should be BB vs HJ as one player sit out.

Agree KQs could work better as flatting preflop even if villain range is likely wider than normal.

Retrospectively I think V would bet with most of his flush draws OTT except combos with Ks and make his river bluff-raise range far narrower. I am not sure V would all-in bluff with 77 OTR so my call is at best marginal

V had 88 in this hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
V had 88 in this hand.

So I was pretty close then, when I guessed, he probably had 66. Of course quads is a hand, people are even more likely to slowplay than a boat, even to the point thats its probably sometimes a bit bad. He could certainly put out a small turn bet for value and get called by worse.

So while I dont blame you for calling - I have called in many similar spots myself - I do think, that if you can find a bet-fold on the river, it is going to give you a long term edge in games like 2-5NL. A 2-5NL player is just way more likely to slowplay a monster than to make some fancy bluff-raise on the river, which needs to work more than 60% of the time :)

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I was pretty close then, when I guessed, he probably had 66. Of course quads is a hand, people are even more likely to slowplay than a boat, even to the point thats its probably sometimes a bit bad. He could certainly put out a small turn bet for value and get called by worse.

So while I dont blame you for calling - I have called in many similar spots myself - I do think, that if you can find a bet-fold on the river, it is going to give you a long term edge in games like 2-5NL. A 2-5NL player is just way more likely to slowplay a monster than to make some fancy bluff-raise on the river, which needs to work more than 60% of the time :)

V is capable of double barrelling LJ vs BB when there are both nut/range advtanges using overbet OTT with air or gutshot before this hand. And this is why I chose to call as he is quite competent at this stake level and knows when/how to attack capped range.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
V is capable of double barrelling LJ vs BB when there are both nut/range advtanges using overbet OTT with air or gutshot before this hand. And this is why I chose to call as he is quite competent at this stake level and knows when/how to attack capped range.

Well you know this best, since you were the one playing with him. But to me this look like a completely typical microstakes hand, and when you revealed the results, I was like "yeah of couse he had it - again". I have been shown the nuts in a situation like this many times. But that being said if Villain had just bet the turn and bet the river, it would certainly not have been easy to get away from top pair second kicker. So mostly this was just one of those annoying spots, where we catch up when behind :)