Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No HUD site

CO: $3.92 seems tight for the last 10 orbits
SB (Hero): $4.02

CO raised to $0.12, BTN folded, SB raised to $0.4 with A4, BB folded and CO called.

Flop: ($0.84, 2 players)
AT2

SB checked, CO bet $0.63, SB called

Turn: ($2.1, 2 players)

SB checked, CO bet $0.5, SB called

River ($3.1, 2 players)
2♠

SB checked, CO bet $1, SB ??

Questions:
1. How would you play this hand?
2. As played, what ranges do you put CO on?

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I usually bet flop to get some value or equity denial from his gutters and Tx hands, but I don't mind xc. His turn sizing is sort of concerning to me already and by the river I struggle to put any bluffs in his range. As long as we have a few slowplays and better Ax to call with, I think I'm pitching this one.

I would expect to run into almost entirely Ax by the river, even if it's some weaker ones on average. MAYBE we could call to chop since the board pairs? But idk it seems thin with this exact hand.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It kind of feels like AJ AQ or weaker Ax as they seem to feel good on the flop and then become very unsure when called.Although i wouldn't be shocked to see some weirdly played Tx or KQ KJ or turned FD type hand either. I think im just calling down here and taking a note as i would expext a hand like TT AT and maybe AK. To be betting a bit bigger on the turn and shoving the river but never say never you might just be getting milked.

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand our line. If we aren't going to bet the Ace high flop OOP why are we three betting with A4cc pre flop? If we are going to passively call down I'd argue for a fold pre. AP we are bluff catching turn and river with very little chop opportunities. Given our line I think CO can be rather wide in theory if they are aggressive but OP has described V as tight. How often have we 3 bet prior? V could be going to value town with any Ax thinking that we have a pocket pair. River sizing looks like value to me. A player described as tight shouldn't have many triple barrel bluffs here. I'd think we are chopping at best but if V is really tight they probably aren't calling the 3 bet with A9-.

1 - If I 3 bet pre I double barrel this run out and check back rivers. May fold or call depending on sizing / reads. If I don't 3 bet pre I'm likely folding.
2 - ATs+, TT, maybe one or two bluff / spaz combos like JJ. This could change a lot though depending how we interpret the V description "seems tight".

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand our line. If we aren't going to bet the Ace high flop OOP why are we three betting with A4cc pre flop? If we are going to passively call down I'd argue for a fold pre. AP we are bluff catching turn and river with very little chop opportunities. Given our line I think CO can be rather wide in theory if they are aggressive but OP has described V as tight. How often have we 3 bet prior? V could be going to value town with any Ax thinking that we have a pocket pair. River sizing looks like value to me. A player described as tight shouldn't have many triple barrel bluffs here. I'd think we are chopping at best but if V is really tight they probably aren't calling the 3 bet with A9-.

1 - If I 3 bet pre I double barrel this run out and check back rivers. May fold or call depending on sizing / reads. If I don't 3 bet pre I'm likely folding.
2 - ATs+, TT, maybe one or two bluff / spaz combos like JJ. This could change a lot though depending how we interpret the V description "seems tight".

I think double barrel on this board is definitely fine as mixed strategy but river checking range is capped unless we play AA this way as well.

The turn underbet made me think he may have KK here but my read was wrong.
Villain showed AKo.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c0rnBr34 is right. If you dont have plan on most of boards with A4s. Dont play pre.

You don`t need to 3bet light on no hud site. Oponent wount see that you 3beting to mutch or too litle.

You should 3bet light whent oponent fold to mutch and dont gove mutch action to your preflop monster hands.

Most profit comes from playing value hands right, blufing right it just small bonus to you overal winnig rate.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the rest about 3betting preflop, 3bet lighter preflop as an exploit, when you know for sure that your opponent folds to 3bets a lot. On a HUD-less site you cannot know for sure.

As played, in my opinion, you played it the hand fine. The river call could be problematic if it were a bigger sizing, but it's perfectly fine here, even though you're just hoping for a split or some random villain spew.
I think double barrel on this board is definitely fine as mixed strategy but river checking range is capped unless we play AA this way as well.

The turn underbet made me think he may have KK here but my read was wrong.
Villain showed AKo.
I prefer your strategy as opposed to the double barrel, you're only getting 2 streets of value if the villain is really fishy, but on the other hand, he might decide to stab his broadway draws twice, but that could also be player dependant. I would've thought he 4bets KK (he should also 4bet AKo in those positions, but people at lower limits only 4bet aces and kings usually).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 3-bet is obviously a bluff, so if my HUD show a low fold to 3-bet, I might just fold this pre, but my default is to 3-bet it against a CO open. On the flop I like check-calling. You have kind of the best not good hand, and you are not going to get 3 streets of value from anything worse.

On the turn you picked up a gutshot, so have to make the call again especially with that price. On the river I kind of hate, that he bet again and with that sizing, because it so much smell like AQ or AJ trying to milk exactly, what we have. But then again you dont need to be good very often to make a breakeven call, and at least we are now splitting the pot with A5-A9. So I probably hate life and pay him off.

Last edited: