3Bet pot with V C-betting all streets and overbet on the river

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerrr2 App (basically runs as live game)
0.4$/0.8$ 200$ CAP
full ring
no info on the Villain

folds to Hero in HJ with AcJc, open to 4$ (eff. 200$)
V in CO 3bets to 13$ (covers)
Hero defends

heads up to the flop

flop (27.2$)
6d 3c 7d
Hero checks
V bets 9$
Hero calls

Hero with 2 overs and a backdoor flush draw has easy defend against a 33% c-bet

turn (45$)
6d 3c 7d 8c

Hero checks
V bets 37$
Hero calls

now the V fires again with the 80% bet, we still have 2 overs and we improve to flushdraw, I think there is no other option then just calling

river (119$)
6d 3c 7d 8c Ah

Hero checks
Villain jams, Hero has 142$ left
it's 142$ to call to win 400$

What do you think V range looks like when he overbets the river. Does he jams with Adxd hands when he hits the river...
What is he jamming for value and what bluffs does he have?

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you are aware that this game resembles a live stage. This is something very important that will undoubtedly affect the decision-making process.
Being a general limit of 250 bb, this implies a significant variance. If the cap were 50 effective bb, we should at least consider that the ranges will be narrower, something that does not happen here.
However we are faced with a villain who made 3 staggered barrels.
Your opening was standard considering all the context. When V 3-bet we could go 4-bet. The reason is because its size is too small when we are deep. Also we are practically in late positions and we are outperforming worse combinations like KTo that a V from CO could use.
The point is the flop and with which hands we check and then call.
If we are looking to catch bluffs the V should know that our range includes some overpairs. Although possibly these are of medium scale like 99 / TT /, since above of It we would have to have made 4-bets for these wet boards. Therefore V is somewhat limited in bluffs when we call on the flop/turn/.
When V overbets the river, his range has almost no bluffs when we don't have more information about CO. It is unlikely that V has a hand like KK or QQ and takes this line when he knows that we now have a range advantage, because we were able to float with some pairs that have now become 2 pairs with Axs.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold the river. You were calling the turn trying to hit the nut flush not top pair third kicker and then call an overbet. I dont know this particular game, but in general people dont bluff as much, as we like to think ;)

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to discount your overs a little bit when calling the flop and turn because you're in a 3-bet pot. As we see later on the river hitting an ace doesn't feel that good.

In situations where both ranges miss the board more or less completely, overpairs become super valuable. Because you can't really rep QQ+ the uncapped range plays way better on this board.

33% is a tiny bet, but for the reasons mentioned I don't think the call is as clear as you make it out to be. Unless you think he's betting 100% range here folding isn't out of the question.

As played, the river jam could include all missed flushes with an ace of which you beat a few. Though I suspect most people check back the river IP when they pick up some showdown value on the river. It could also include some premium pocket pairs that are tilt shoving because they just got demoted to second pair, though they should probably just check back. At this point AQ? and AJ are the best combos in your range so if you're ever calling this would be the hand to do it with. On a table that plays like a live table, folding range is probably not bad if not best, and certainly the lower variance play.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerrr2 app (basically runs as live game)
0.4$/0.8$ 200$ CAP
full ring
no info on the Villain

folds to Hero in HJ with AcJc, open to 4$ (eff. 200$)
V in CO 3bets to 13$ (covers)
Hero defends

heads up to the flop

flop (27.2$)
6d 3c 7d
Hero checks
V bets 9$
Hero calls

Hero with 2 overs and a backdoor flush draw has easy defend against a 33% c-bet

turn (45$)
6d 3c 7d 8c

Hero checks
V bets 37$
Hero calls

now the V fires again with the 80% bet, we still have 2 overs and we improve to flushdraw, I think there is no other option then just calling

river (119$)
6d 3c 7d 8c Ah

Hero checks
Villain jams, Hero has 142$ left
it's 142$ to call to win 400$

What do you think V range looks like when he overbets the river. Does he jams with Adxd hands when he hits the river...
What is he jamming for value and what bluffs does he have?

It sure smells like the villain holds A3d or maybe a small set.

But really we don't know.

And - the reason we don't know is that you never raise or lead out a bet to see the V's reaction.

I don't mind calling him down on every street - but you folded the river - abandoning your equity.

In your mind - what were you folding to? A better Ace? Small set?

If he knew what you had then he was trying to get value.

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sure smells like the villain holds A3d or maybe a small set.

But really we don't know.

And - the reason we don't know is that you never raise or lead out a bet to see the V's reaction.

I don't mind calling him down on every street - but you folded the river - abandoning your equity.

In your mind - what were you folding to? A better Ace? Small set?

If he knew what you had then he was trying to get value.

I have called eventually, and V showed pocket kings. I wanted to get some opinions from ppl without the result. Thanks

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have called eventually, and V showed pocket kings.

If he is bad enough to be overbet jamming KK on A high board for no reason, there is no point in even trying to put him on a range, since it will all be completely random. Instead you can do, what you did. Close your eyes and call him down with hands like this.

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is bad enough to be overbet jamming KK on A high board for no reason, there is no point in even trying to put him on a range, since it will all be completely random. Instead you can do, what you did. Close your eyes and call him down with hands like this.

I totally agree. It is difficult when you have no info, but expect to play against 80% rec player pool

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars