$3000 NLHE Full Ring: $10/$25 NL deep stack, BB defending

A

arrchun123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop: (Effective stack: 160bb)No straddles, UTG+1 opens 4bb, fold to the HJ (a TAG reg.) makes the call
I defend in BB with 6c8c

Flop: 2h 4c 6d (pot: 12.5bb) (Effective stack: 156bb)
I check, UTG+1 checks, HJ bets 12bb, I called and UTG+1 fold

Turn: Jh (pot: 36.5bb) (Effective stack: 148bb)
I check, HJ bets 30bb, I called

River: 6h (pot 96.5bb) (Effective stack: 118bb)
I check, HJ shoves for remaining 118bb, I called and HJ shows 4h4d with a full house.

HJ is capable of making triple barrel bluffs with missed draws.

My question is...
Did I really play this hand right? Should I give credit to HJ folding the turn so I could avoid the disastrous river? I was putting on HJ with 2 over cards (AK-AJ), some pairs plus straight draws or some middling pairs like 77-TT, JJ-AA would probably 3-bet preflop thus makes it unlikely. Please help:(

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My friendly advice is that you are stay away from the High Stakes for now. You will save money and health, while you wait some more time. In this hand you should have retired on the turn, since your average kicker protects you very little and you are not in good condition to make the call. But if you neglected to do so and chose to continue to the river, don't think you improved in this texture. Now many bluffs arrived that turned into strong hands, like flush draws combos. You are only above AA and KK, but given the sequence of this hand, there are possibly only hands that complete flushes and ships in rank V, so our trips end up being a marginal part of our range, which should not reach the river.
Greetings.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never played above 10/10 so ignore if you like but here's my take. In general flat calling a 4 BB open with an 8 high suited gapper from out of position in a 3 way pot seems terrible. I don't see how you can make up the range disadvantage. Also taking a passive line with a marginal hand against this level of aggression on a relatively dry board will lead to spots like this. Fold pre, I'd rather 3 bet pre as a bluff then flat. As played I can understand floating top pair on the flop but this guy is potting every street and there is no flush draw to charge until the turn. How often is second pair no kicker really good on the turn? As played I'd fold turn. River plays itself. Is this online? I encourage you to look at how you are doing from the BB with all hands if you have a HUD. Hands like these are burning money. I'd also look at how all those small suited gappers are doing from the blinds and EP. Sometimes after you see how much money they are costing to play it becomes easier to let them go or at least give yourself a chance by playing a more aggressive line and adding fold equity on boards that are more likely to miss Vs range.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the initial raiser going for 4 BBs. your price from the BB preflop is not really good enough to merit a call, in my opinion.