$25 NLHE Full Ring: Did I overplay this hand with the turn shove?

B

basellne23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.25 NL - Holdem - 8 players

SB: 99 BB
BB: 100 BB
UTG: 77.2 BB
UTG+1: 100 BB
MP: 270.08 BB
MP+1: 134.6 BB
Hero (CO): 94.56 BB
BTN: 101.68 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J 9

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB, fold, SB calls 1.6 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (8 BB, 4 players) 8 7 6
SB checks, BB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (8 BB, 4 players) 5
SB bets 6 BB, BB raises to 21 BB, fold, Hero raises to 92.56 BB and is all-in, fold, BB calls 71.56 BB

River: (199.12 BB, 2 players) K

BB shows 9 T (Straight, Ten High)
(Pre 27%, Flop 57%, Turn 75%)
Hero shows J 9 (Straight, Nine High)
(Pre 73%, Flop 43%, Turn 25%)
BB wins 189.2 BB

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never 4-bet all in with mostly likely a chop at best. Yeah you had a few outs, but to risk that much to me is personally reckless playing

B

basellne23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agreein the end probably too reckless on my part. Im normally not that aggressive. I figured I was at best against a set or draw, so my read was obviously wrong. That coupled with my flush possibility is why I made the move. If I could do it again I would flat and see the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Against a larger raise I can be on board with just flatting, but against a mini-raise this for me is a mandatory 3-bet. I dont want to let the blinds into the pot and create a multi-way situation, which is exactly, what happened.

Flop
With a 15 out draw I see no reason at all to check back the flop, when it checks around to you. You want to start building up that pot and also deny some equity from hands like A high or K high.

Turn
As played I think, its fine to just get it in. You are freerolling all the 9X hands with a redraw to both a flush and a J high straight, and if someone has a better flushdraw or a set, you want them to pay to draw now, or get out of the way. Sure you could be behind to T9, but even then you have an 11 out redraw.

Result
This is just a massive cooler, but it could have been avoided by 3-betting preflop and not allowing a hand like T9o to see a flop for almost nothing. If you had just called on the turn, there is a chance, he would not have gone all in on the river, and you might have lost a little less, but getting it in on the turn is the best line against any other hand, he can have.

B

beginnerbot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet the flop. You have the draw to the nut straight and a flush draw. Maybe a small 1/4p bet on the flop will force many pairs to fold.

B

basellne23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Against a larger raise I can be on board with just flatting, but against a mini-raise this for me is a mandatory 3-bet. I dont want to let the blinds into the pot and create a multi-way situation, which is exactly, what happened.

Flop
With a 15 out draw I see no reason at all to check back the flop, when it checks around to you. You want to start building up that pot and also deny some equity from hands like A high or K high.

Turn
As played I think, its fine to just get it in. You are freerolling all the 9X hands with a redraw to both a flush and a J high straight, and if someone has a better flushdraw or a set, you want them to pay to draw now, or get out of the way. Sure you could be behind to T9, but even then you have an 11 out redraw.

Result
This is just a massive cooler, but it could have been avoided by 3-betting preflop and not allowing a hand like T9o to see a flop for almost nothing. If you had just called on the turn, there is a chance, he would not have gone all in on the river, and you might have lost a little less, but getting it in on the turn is the best line against any other hand, he can have.

great insight to the hand thanks!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands