Hero checks, BTN bets 8 BB, Hero calls 8 BB

River: (27.6 BB, 2 players) 5
Hero checks, BTN bets 12 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

BTN shows 4 4 (Three of a Kind, Fours)
(Pre 50%, Flop 9%, Turn 100%)
Hero shows K Q (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 50%, Flop 91%, Turn 0%)
BTN wins 49.04 BB

How could I have played this differently, and should I have folded on the 3/4 pot turn bet? Probably a borderline fold but I am trying not to be as nitty in my game and feel I am being bluffed off some hands where I have good equity. The board here was not scary, and the turn shouldnt have changed things but the large bet at that point def made me consider the fold.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Borderline fold" ...Seems to me "borderline snap call". Yeah, you can play differently. Like a normal person. You can use 100bb and a resteal.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling and 3-betting preflop are both fine. If you just call, this hand is very near the top of your range, so when you flop top pair, its pretty mandatory to call all the way down, especially when not even a single draw came in. Sure he can have some value hands here, and you probably lose to most of them, but he can also have so many different bluffs. This is not 2NL, where maybe you can get away with assuming, that people always has it, when they tripple barrel. This was just a good runout for him and a bad one for you. Thats really all, there is to say about it.

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, its full ring. Usually in this low stakes when the guy bets too high he is betting for value, with a full ring you could have been more cautious, i think. But i don`t condemn your call either.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your required equity on the river is 23%. According to stack size villain seems to be a fish (fish confirmed by bet on flop with underpair). You gotta ask yourself: Do I have 23%+ equity when I call on average against this player? If the answer is Yes then call if No then fold.
1.Can this player value bet with worse?
River sizing is small so the only hand he might bet for value is QT which has very few combos. Other than that less likely.
2.Can he have air in his range?
I don't think so. Fish usually don't triple barrel bluff.
3.Can he represent better hands?
Yes. He can have all the sets(except fives) and QJ
So the answer is Hero Folds :)

What if the Villain was not a fish but a solid Reg?

1.Can this player value bet with worse?
Almost never.
2.Can he have air in his range?
Absolutely. BTN opening range is so wide that it can contain all the flush draws and straight draws which missed by river.
3.Can he represent better hands?
Yes but very few: AQ, JJ, QQ, QJ, 22, 44
All things considered seems like you have much more than 23% equity here. So against a reg it seems like a clear Call.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This line is fine to me but I'm more likely to 3bang preflop. Nh though

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the hand is played fine. I believe you can make an argument for a fold because if the villain had Jx or something that you beat they probably would either be betting larger on the river to get more folds or would be checking behind and taking their showdown value. However, with that being said sometimes you just have to call a triple barrel and I think this is one of them. In going through this hand before seeing the result, I never felt the villain had a big pocket pair. It felt to me that they had a hand similar to yours and if that is the feeling you have in hand then you call. The river bet is a value bet though but is this a type of player that would have Q10 and value bet there? I dont know about the villain so I cant answer that. I do believe its fairly close though and arguments for either play can be made but I'm going call.