$25 NLHE 6-max: What note would you add to villain after this hand?

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem 0.25(BB)
HJ ($33.54) [VPIP: 54.7% | PFR: 0.8% | AGG: 43.1% | hands: 132]
CO ($25) [VPIP: 19.8% | PFR: 12.6% | AGG: 39.6% | Hands: 113]
HERO ($25.83) [VPIP: 25.9% | PFR: 21.2% | AGG: 33% | Flop Agg: 42% | Turn Agg: 27.9% | River Agg: 19.2% | 3-Bet: 5.9% | 4-Bet: 9.6% | Hands: 42685]
SB ($31.98) [VPIP: 25.9% | PFR: 13.6% | AGG: 35.3% | Hands: 82]
BB ($32.70) [VPIP: 25% | PFR: 17.5% | AGG: 23.7% | Flop Agg: 20.3% | Turn Agg: 30.8% | River Agg: 20% | 3-Bet: 2.5% | 4-Bet: 0% | Cold Call: 18.2% | Hands: 865]

Dealt to Hero:

HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.65, SB Folds, BB Calls $0.40

Hero SPR on Flop: [17.99 effective]
Flop ($1.40): 8 6 J
BB Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($1.40): 8 6 J 7
BB Bets $1 (Rem. Stack: $31.05), HERO Calls $1 (Rem. Stack: $24.18)

River ($3.40): 8 6 J 7 K
BB Bets $2.42 (Rem. Stack: $28.63), HERO Calls $2.42 (Rem. Stack: $21.76)

BB shows: 5 K

BB wins: $7.79

I omitted my holding because I don't really want my play analyzed in this specific hand. I have a decent amount of hands on villain he appears to be a reg. Honestly, when he turned over his hand, my jaw dropped, definitely didn't have this hand in his range. I could be onboard with this bet if it was maybe 1/3 pot on the river but going for 2/3rds seems... really thin. I feel like this hand says something about villain but I'm not sure and just want to get some opinions on maybe his thought process here.

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! Wonder if you want to hear opinions from an nl5 player.
Preflop and flop is standard. But after you check back flop he may assume you have a marginal made hand, including A high with showdown value, middle pair or bottom pair, probably not even good draws like T9.
So when at turn he improves to a weak open end straight draw he decides to bluff, and may even prepare for big bet at river to bluff out your A high and weak pairs. To me this bet size is too large because he has no merit to build pot here, since 9 may not be a clean out once you call the turn. But some players do like to bet big because they think this is the best way to apply pressure, in nl5 game that I played people will even bet full pot sometimes.
River is interesting. In my opinion, the fact that Opponent bets 2/3 pot for thin value indicates either he is extremely strong or just a weak player who overvalue hands. If he does have lot of reads on you, knowing you will be aggressive w/ all the draws and premium hands he may exploit you in this way. I do not know anything in NL25 so I am not sure about it. But in NL5 most likely this indicates that your opponent is overvaluing top pairs, which generates lot of profitable spot like set mining, two pair charge one pair, and TPGK charge his TPBK. Moreover this type of player will even bet A8 like this sometimes. Another information I get is that he is probably a player who likes to attack weakness. I will definitely try to confirm this observation through more hands, but if this is true I may consider calling down w/ 8, 99 TT here since he could be bluffing too wide.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can be good player, can be bad. This bet is not so weak. And fishy. Also the call pre, the bet OTT. There is a logic behind this play. Means nothing "special". You can add a note, "thin value with big size". But I think it is a waste of time. However, you can have a note from the software. For this. If you have interest about this spot. Similar spots...

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the hand is more standard than you think.

K5s defend from BB pf is OK.

Your flop check let him pick up the OESD on the turn, so he donked out, thinking he may just pick up the pot.

Then he hit his overcard on the river. I guess he thought his K was good, so 70% pot is OK.

Button/blind dynamics can get strange and I have seen many 'reggish' player do weird things in those spots.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the hand is more standard than you think.

K5s defend from BB pf is OK.

Your flop check let him pick up the OESD on the turn, so he donked out, thinking he may just pick up the pot.

Then he hit his overcard on the river. I guess he thought his K was good, so 70% pot is OK.

Button/blind dynamics can get strange and I have seen many 'reggish' player do weird things in those spots.
Yeah flop and turn are fine it's just that river bet with what he had is so weird to me, almost turns his hand into a bluff imo

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands