$25 NLHE 6-max: Trips vs a big fish. He gets aggressive on later streets.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - €0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: €31.53
Hero (MP): €25.00
CO: €23.40
BTN: €27.57
SB: €11.50
BB: €34.21

SB posts SB €0.10, BB posts BB €0.25

Pre Flop: (€0.35) Hero has 7:club: 9:club:

fold, Hero raises to €1.00, CO calls €1.00, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (€2.35, 2 players) 7:heart: T:spade: 7:spade:
Hero bets €1.50, CO calls €1.50

Turn: (€5.35, 2 players) J:club:
Hero bets €3.40, CO raises to €6.80, Hero calls €3.40

River: (€18.95, 2 players) Q:spade:
Hero checks, CO bets €14.10 and is all-in, fold

Before anyone says it, I will. Fold pre, /thread.

Beyond that, how about the rest?

EDIT: didnt show fish stats, 69/0/2 over about 50

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know AF can you tell me his afq?

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obv. turn raise implies MONSTER. So, what monster type hands are worse then yours? Hand kind of seems like JJ/TT and maybe 89? AF of 2 is aggressive enough to perhaps raise draws like 89/FD+overs on the flop some percentage of the time. Has villain shown any propensity for bluffing? I just can't see much value in a bluff on that turn because your hand seems pretty strong.

River shove really implies that villain isn't all that afraid of the flush so the 89 gets a little less likely imho.

edit: oh yeah...basically should be a fold on turn unless you think villain can have 1pair hands AND does not have a boat. Definitely a fold on river.

Also...4x pre? really? Cut that out unless you gotz teh monsters. Fish aren't going to notice bet-sizing tells at 25NL so raise a bit smaller with hands that aren't huge.

PS. you should probably just switch tables. A preflop station that's semi-aggro postflop and sitting on your left sucks hard.

Last edited:
M

MBC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only time this preflop raise is possibly profitable is if the same villain is in the blinds and you can consistently get into pots HU with him. Otherwise it seems as if you are lighting money on fire (you already know this).

I would probably size my flop and turn bets a little bit higher because I am betting for fat value against this villain and want to set up a large river bet. It is unlikely stacks will get all in without a raise at some point.

The turn raise does imply strength but again, with this kind of villain it can also mean anything. My logic here is that fish are weird and could make this move with almost anything so I am not too unhappy calling off stacks. Of course, he could also have so many hands that beat you (and is playing straightforward), so a fold is not bad either.

I think your real mistake is calling the minraise on the turn and folding the river. The shove was always coming and the hand winning at the turn was always winning at the river.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya, I think the turn is where we gotta make our decision. We are either calling turn to get stacks in on river/3 betting the turn for stacks or folding cause we think we're beat already.

Vs this guy Im never folding but Im a station.:eek:

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
um...pre/flop play is totally standard?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only time this preflop raise is possibly profitable is if the same villain is in the blinds and you can consistently get into pots HU with him. Otherwise it seems as if you are lighting money on fire (you already know this).

I would probably size my flop and turn bets a little bit higher because I am betting for fat value against this villain and want to set up a large river bet. It is unlikely stacks will get all in without a raise at some point.

The turn raise does imply strength but again, with this kind of villain it can also mean anything. My logic here is that fish are weird and could make this move with almost anything so I am not too unhappy calling off stacks. Of course, he could also have so many hands that beat you (and is playing straightforward), so a fold is not bad either.

I think your real mistake is calling the minraise on the turn and folding the river. The shove was always coming and the hand winning at the turn was always winning at the river.

You should post more imo :)

Welcome to CC.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I hate when I don't plan ahead :-/. But once I had hit the call button, I thought about it and really didn't see anything I beat, so rather than compound my mistake I folded.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty aggro for how many hands he plays. I think I'm comfortable getting it in

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look, I think both folding or calling there are ok. but I agree with the bet sizing, bet more on the flop and turn for value.

also, on the turn when you reraised it is decision time, when they do that they plan on shoving all in on the river, so you might as well shove over the top there instead of calling and checking river, because he will never check behind.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comment about pre: I don't think opening suited middle one gappers is bad. I think they play almost as well as no-gappers.

But they play better 1) if you have position and can control the pot size, and/or 2) you likely to be up against a player who can fold postflop since most of the time we're going to miss.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comment about pre: I don't think opening suited middle one gappers is bad. I think they play almost as well as no-gappers.

But they play better 1) if you have position and can control the pot size, and/or 2) you likely to be up against a player who can fold postflop since most of the time we're going to miss.

They dont play well OOP in HU pots so when you open with a SC or SG, you are most likely going to be OOP in a HU pot. So opening them in MP is bad.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They dont play well OOP in HU pots so when you open with a SC or SG, you are most likely going to be OOP in a HU pot. So opening them in MP is bad.

I dunno about bad; worse than big broadways. When the table is tight enough and my small pocket pairs are getting folds from every position then I'll add the middle suited connectors and one gaps from every position. And even if the table isn't that tight I have some in my range so that there are almost no flops that absolutely never hit any part of my range.

But in this situation with the fish who won't fold behind you this is not the time.