$25 NLHE 6-max: TP facing bet on wet board on river

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is sitting at 96bb. Villain sits at 225bb.

UTG folds.

MP (Hero) raises to 0.85 with KdQd.

Button folds. SB calls. BB folds.

Flop comes 6dQh5h.

SB bets 1.95. Hero raises to 4.15. SB calls.

Turn comes 2s. SB checks. Hero bets 6.12 into a total pot of 15.25. Villain calls.

River comes 4h. Villain bets 11.24 into total pot of 32.62. Hero folds.

Did I play this right? I feel like the board just got way too wet by the river and I was losing more often than not with just a Queen with a King kicker.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand your notation of pot sizes and betting.
Preflop: 0.85x2 + 0.25 (from the BB) => 1.95
Flop: 4.15x2 + 1.95 => 10.25
Turn: 6.12 into a total pot of 15.15 ?? Now I understand that there is rake involved but what do you mean here you bet 6.12 and the pot becomes 15.15 or does the pre-flop and flop action not described correctly?

Anyway in the end you either need about 25% or 20% equity depending on what exactly happened before the river. As the villain shows interest in the hand by calling your re-raise on the flop and the raise on the turn it is very unlikely that you have your opponent beat.

So yes even for those odds a case can be made to fold, but for those odds (certainly the 20% case) I would make the call.

Btw would not raise on the flop as your bloating a pot with just top pair good kicker would need top pair top kicker to do that, but that maybe just me.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really agree with raising his pot-sized donk here. I don't feel like TP2ndK is a supreme value spot, and we certainly don't need to turn this into a bluff yet. It only inflates the pot.

On the turn, we need to either size this up big to get value from his draws, or we might as well check. This seems like a quasi-value bet that can't decide what it is trying to do, with so many draws, you need to either bet this really big (that means probably a jam) to both charge and get value from his draws, or check and hope for a blank.

On the river, his str8 draws, his flush draws, and all of his wierd little suited connectors have gotten there. I think even with these pot odds we have a fairly okay fold.

** i am a slow typer so Hujiko got to it first but +1 to what he says.

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand your notation of pot sizes and betting.
Preflop: 0.85x2 + 0.25 (from the BB) => 1.95
Flop: 4.15x2 + 1.95 => 10.25
Turn: 6.12 into a total pot of 15.15 ?? Now I understand that there is rake involved but what do you mean here you bet 6.12 and the pot becomes 15.15 or does the pre-flop and flop action not described correctly?

Anyway in the end you either need about 25% or 20% equity depending on what exactly happened before the river. As the villain shows interest in the hand by calling your re-raise on the flop and the raise on the turn it is very unlikely that you have your opponent beat.

So yes even for those odds a case can be made to fold, but for those odds (certainly the 20% case) I would make the call.

Btw would not raise on the flop as your bloating a pot with just top pair good kicker would need top pair top kicker to do that, but that maybe just me.
I mean that the pot after my 6$ bet was 15$.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any stats or notes on the villain?
In my experience he's often drawing when he pots flop and checks turn. The issue I have with the hand is your flop raise. Firstly it's too small to give him bad odds to draw, he's calling what, 2.2 to win 8, so almost 4-1 and what if he jams?

I just call flop with this hand, it's not strong enough to raise imo. You can bet to charge if he checks the turn. As played river is a fold as the obvious draw gets there and he's leading into you with a value sizing.. You proably lost 4-6 bb more than neccessary due to the bloat on the flop. They all add up.

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figured that the flop reraise was necessary for information, and for folding out weaker hands that he may have called with. If he had reraised me from there I'd have folded immediately. The turn bet was supposed to be to get him to fold out draws as I had a feeling by that point that he was trying to draw.

A lot of people are mentioning the pot odds thing. I have a very rough understanding of it but I am not at the point where I can calculate those on the fly, and especially not within the 30 seconds given to me. Is it essential that I am able to do so?

I also didn't think he'd have bet river with AK. So it was most likely a draw.

I did have stats, but on ignition with anonymous tables once I leave the table the stats are lost, except for my own stats.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn’t raise flop.

Tpgk, bdfd. Just take a card.

Ap once we split hands on the flop I think we bet bigger on the turn.

Ap on the river folding KQ is massively overfolding. But I don’t mind it if our read says villain is nutted to bet river (most are at these stakes) villains range on that river has an abundance of value and not much air.

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn’t raise flop.

Tpgk, bdfd. Just take a card.

Ap once we split hands on the flop I think we bet bigger on the turn.

Ap on the river folding KQ is massively overfolding. But I don’t mind it if our read says villain is nutted to bet river (most are at these stakes) villains range on that river has an abundance of value and not much air.

Bdfd? ap?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I figured that the flop reraise was necessary for information, and for folding out weaker hands that he may have called with.

That's an expensive way to get information and folding out weaker hands is not something you should want unless it is a flush draw. Flush draws on these levels will mostly make the call on the flop. Better to just call on the flop and make a 2/3 pot bet on a none heart turn if he does check that will give you way more information and is a lot cheaper.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you raise the flop ranging V on draws > You need to bet way bigger on turn to charge them. A bad price for them calling to be profitable.
Raising flop & betting that small on turn makes very little sense. > You are repping a very strong range. Keep piling up on bricks.
Or we can just call down & let go if necessary

R

rainver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1) SB calls - not really good, 2) SB donk pot size bet - what could it be: monsters, tptk, 2 pairs, three of a kind, nothing, flashdraw - seems like ready hand for pot bet or bluff, 3) after that SB made 2 calls on flop and turn - left monsters, 2 pairs, three of a kind, i think top flashdraw should be folded here, 4) on the river SB made value bet 1/2 pot size - seems like three of a kind. Board is really not good for one pair hand. Imho, you had to raise pot size on the turn (not 1/2 pot size as you did) folding for any action, and check/fold on the river.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the bet sizing is too smal for me on the flop u need to make it 3 times his bet at least it seem that he bets full pot size bet, on the turn with a blank u need to go 3/4 pot not under 1/2 pot that give a draw very good odds to call. on the river just check it down no reason to bet

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this was on ignition, then raise more on the flop and jam turn. If not, then I don't mind just calling the flop, betting turn, and folding river when the worse card comes from your hand.

And if it was on ignition, you need to get a hud and post up some stats. :)