$25 NLHE 6-max: top two on river(no flush and straight)

K

kioge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 23/21/5

Yatahay Network - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players

BB: 100 BB
CO: 150.52 BB
Hero (BTN): 110.32 BB
SB: 60.68 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Ad Jc
fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop : (4.4 BB, 2 players) 4d 9h 5c
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn : (4.4 BB, 2 players) Ac
BB checks, Hero bets 3.28 BB, BB calls 3.28 BB

River : (10.96 BB, 2 players) Jd
BB checks, Hero bets 8.6 BB, BB raises to 22.68 BB, Hero calls 14.08 BB

BB shows Ah 9d (Two Pair, Aces and Nines)
(Pre 27%, Flop 87%, Turn 93%)

Hero shows Ad Jc (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Pre 73%, Flop 13%, Turn 7%)

Hero wins 53.52 BB

On the river, facing 2.5x reraise, should I 3-bet or flat call?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Not a huge fan of the preflop min-raise, but if it works for you, cool.

Flop
I really like checking back this flop. AJ definitely has showdown value, and its terrible to C-bet on this low board and get check-raised.

Turn
Standard bet for value.

River
Another standard bet for value, and I would also call, when I get check-raised. This time he had the exact one pip worse hand, which would likely have paid, but focusing on that is results oriented. He will also have hands like a busted draw or J9, that probably fold to a 3-bet, and if he is sandbagging two pair on the turn, he is probably also sandbagging all his sets.

K

kioge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Not a huge fan of the preflop min-raise, but if it works for you, cool.

Flop
I really like checking back this flop. AJ definitely has showdown value, and its terrible to C-bet on this low board and get check-raised.

Turn
Standard bet for value.

River
Another standard bet for value, and I would also call, when I get check-raised. This time he had the exact one pip worse hand, which would likely have paid, but focusing on that is results oriented. He will also have hands like a busted draw or J9, that probably fold to a 3-bet, and if he is sandbagging two pair on the turn, he is probably also sandbagging all his sets.

Thx apply river decision!
otherwise,on the flop check back i is standard play, we don't have range and nut advantage

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend the 3 bet. You could have won more if you went all in with your two pair. Top two is very strong here.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTN's minimum opening implies a reasonable range from strong hands to marginal hands and therefore induces more calls when opponents tend to play passively preflop.
When we check this flop we have some overcards in our range, which will possibly retain more fold equity as the donk bet of V gets bigger in size.
Possibly if we had a good hand we would like to bet a lot on this flop, in order to polarize our range and represent all broadways looking to win a pot quickly.
It looks like this is what you tried to do on the turn, as we are recovering some value on the flop. Here when they call you the BB range begins to polarize, since you will not always have aces. Possibly, you want to represent TPTK or TPGK with a large number of combinations that checked the flop, such as: Kxs and Qxs.
So your villain knows that on the river he should beat most of the Axs that you represent. However this line would make sense when V represents many sets in his range. But most likely a set has raised in a previous street and also as played the river it was a min raise, so that means that V will seldom appear with a set here, unless BB does not make good use of his perceived range.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pre flop raise should be larger. On the flop you can make a case for either checking or betting. I would do either depending on what I know. If my HUD said villain folded to c bets too often then I would bet here. If that was not the case or I no information then checking is probably better in the long given our hand. I dont think betting once in a while with no information is bad either but checking seems better.

On the turn we should be betting as we have top pair and we are hoping someone else has a worse Ax or something that will stay in the hand with us that we are beating. I am not sure if I go quite that big since I want a call but with that pot size we also want to build a pot too so not saying it is a mistake.

The river is obviously a good card. No flush came in, only a 23 straight possible and we have top two pair. We got called by a large bet on the turn so we should be trying another large bet on the river just as you did. When we get raised we need to just think what other big hands could villain have. We set block A and J and both of those we think would have raised pre and not just called us so I discount that. A set on the flop is possible but I think unlikely due to villain checking the turn when there was a second club coming out. I highly doubt a set would just check there fearing a check behind. They would bet for value the same way we bet for value when we hit top pair plus villain should know Ax is a likely villain (to them) holding so betting would be wise. Given they checked twice I would almost exclusively put them on a bluff or a hand like A4 (even A9 I would think would have led the turn). I would not even think 23 called me and discount every set so I think I have the effective nuts here and therefore would raise. I wouldnt think I would get called too often but again I feel as though I have the nuts here so I would try to see if I could get a call. They have 72 BBs left after their re raise of us. I dont think I would jam since again I think is a smaller two pair or bluff almost exclusively so I think I would go just north of clicking it back. Something like a raise of another 20 BBs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forgot to mention, that we also lose to 32, that turned a straight. If he is sandbagging two pair on the turn, then why not a straight as well. Hero only min-raised pre, so at least 32s could certainly be in Villains range, which adds another 4 combos, we potentially lose to. I still like just calling that river raise.

Full Flush Poker