$25 NLHE 6-max: (Stupid hand!) AKo v fish IP

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hey all- not the most interesting hand, but I'm trying to figure out where I played it wrong.

The river fold is correct if V has KJ, KQ, AK (all combos). Not sure if bluffing would ever work v fish. We supposed to raise the turn donk?

V: 95 hands, 32/20, F3B:14 (7 opportunities). He has flatted a 3! with AK ip previously.

Yatahay Network - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BTN: 80.4 BB
SB: 108.52 BB
BB: 130.28 BB
UTG: 107.64 BB
Hero (CO): 196.56 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:club: A:diamond:

UTG raises to 2.2 BB, Hero raises to 7 BB, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls 4.8 BB

Flop: (15.4 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond: 5:heart: J:spade:
UTG checks, Hero bets 4.48 BB, UTG calls 4.48 BB

Turn: (24.36 BB, 2 players) K:diamond:
UTG bets 12.16 BB, Hero calls 12.16 BB

River: (48.68 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond:
UTG bets 12.16 BB, fold

UTG wins 46.28 BB

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How aggressive is V? What kind of fish do we have here? I certainly agree not to try to bluff. Just because he doesn't appear to have a 4 bet range doesn't mean he is super nutted when flats a 3B UTG. I'd think he's fairly wide here if he's opening 20% ish and almost never folding to a 3 bet. That would put some smaller Kx in his range like KTs, K9s, does he ever float QT then donk his open ender and block bet river? If he's not positionally aware and opens a static 20% then he'll have K8s+ and KTo. If he bet half pot I'd say good fold but for this price if he's fishy and has any type of aggro I'd probably pay it off. The info may pay for itself. We do have the nut flush blocker. We should expect to lose but we only have to be good 17% of the time to profitably call. If he's bluffing or over valuing Kx one out of 6 times we are good. Also the info on how he plays his value hands has some implied future value as well.

As for the rest. Pre I like potting this 3 bet to get max value and max fold equity. Even more so since this guy is never folding.

I like the flop bet. Not much to say there.

I kind of do like the idea of raising turn as we only lose to KJ and sets which is fairly narrow and one of the biggest mistakes fish make is calling too much with top pair. I'd probably check back this river though and wouldn't be calling too much after some flushes, straights, and two pair come in.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain made equal bets on turn / river before? This could be a trap or it could just be a sign of weakness. I think you already know that 90 sample hands have a significant bias. As for the opening of V it was 2.2x, which is quite small, as are of turn and river bets. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see too many strong hands in his range. In fact it seems to me that he is the typical player who will defend the most marginal hand on the board. And just because of that perception (wrong or not) I think I would get the maximum value and push the river. When blocking the nut I prefer the bluff in this context than the pure call.
But if I had a reading similar to yours, I think I would call here because of the price that villain puts us on the river.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop imo is fine with a 3 bet and has is good sizing. You could go a little bigger just to deter those after you from jumping in as well but that is splitting hairs. On the flop I dont like the bet because of the sizing. You are not making anything fold there and opening yourself up to a check raise that you may call but wouldnt like. I say either bet larger there (half pot give or take) or just check and take the free card to see if you hit one of your overs. On the turn I agree no reason to raise as we want to keep their worse Kx in along with any one pair hand they have from the flop that they checked to the raiser with. On the river I wouldnt like the diamond and that it is a Q so KQ and QJ now beats us. However, we hold the ace of diamonds which is important because it cuts down on their two diamond holdings that would be predominantly Ax diamonds. I dont think we are ahead here but we easily could be. With the price we are getting to call the river with TPTK I think this is a call without much thought. The times they have it, they have it but I think that is less than 83% of the time we need to break even.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks fine, and river is neutral. I assume this is your normal 3-bet c-bet sizing on this texture. Turn if fine. River though is pretty close, close enough that really fold / call doesn't matter (isn't impacting your EV much).

A couple of notes though. I'd still 3-bet larger unless you really are expanding your 3-bet range enough to justify the smaller sizing versus that opening size by your opponent. Do you understand your 3-bet flop strategy on flop textures to justify your sizing w/ your connected and missed ranges?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Thanks for your responses, everyone. V didn't appear to be crazy aggro, so his donk isn't a wild bluff- it's a decent hand, decent draw, blocker bet of some kind.

A couple of notes though. I'd still 3-bet larger unless you really are expanding your 3-bet range enough to justify the smaller sizing versus that opening size by your opponent. Do you understand your 3-bet flop strategy on flop textures to justify your sizing w/ your connected and missed ranges?

I could size larger pre- I still need to work on adjusting to fish att.

For that last question... haha I think I do! LOL

I generally have 2 cbet sizes for 3-bet pots- 1/3 for dry flops (I considered this dry... though I suppose V could have some straight draws here if he really never folds pre) and I bet most of my range here, maybe checking back nutted hands sometimes (JJ in this spot, which I would def 3-bet pre)

and 1/2 for wet boards... + or - depending on remaining stacks. (checking back nutted draws, bad draws, SDV hands that unblock V's bluffs)

But against this V, we should have a merged/value heavy 3-betting range... so our flop strategy should change. Is that what you are saying? In which case we should size up OTF to account for that?

Or are you just generally asking me if I know what I'm doing? :smile:

AK maybe could check against this V if he is passive, but I don't mind the bet since I can continue on a lot of turns. When he donks there I was so confused... it made no sense. I think a XR would be better for most of his value hands in that spot, which, if his brain is working correctly, should just leave marginal value/draws in his range. I think as played we should raise 3x OTT.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bet on the river is very similar to a block bet. If the villain is an agro maniac, then after calling a bet on the turn, we should call a small bet on the river.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands