$25 NLHE 6-max: Check raising flop with a marginal hand

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Total posts
So I had a sort of interesting spot today at 25NL.
The table was a really passive one, with a lot of folding PF and a lot of giving up on bad holdings. A few hands had been checked through, and not a lot of aggressive battles post flop. Villain was of the more passive side as well.

UTG($41.43): Raises 0.62$
folds around to Hero($43.40) in BB: 7d 7s: Calls

Flop ($1.44) 2c 8s As
Hero checks
Villain bets $0.42
Hero reraises $1.10
Villain folds

Hero wins pot of $2.50

The reason why this flop is interesting to me is because I don't actually know what I should be doing, even though its really not a difficult spot.

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Total posts
Prior to this hand, I would have said that I probably check call with all marginal hands, such as middle pair and better pocket pairs. 77 should be the best hand most of the time, so check check would be good for pot control. But when he raises small, I do consider if min raising is a good option for the following reasons a) If he has a draw, he will pay a bit more. Although I'm probably slightly ahead of flush draws, I'm effectively way behind any flush draws played with the slightest aggression. If i check call the flop, then I will have to fold to pretty much any barrel. But checkraising will make this unprofitable for any two overcards with backdoors. b) If he does have something like a flush draw, or perhaps an ace, he will either call or reraise. This makes the rest of the hand a lot easier to play, since I can at least put him on a hand and take initiative instead of playing the hand passively. If he calls with a flush draw, he will be more inclined to check the turn. If he calls with an ace, he may also check both the turn and river - And if he bets I can fold.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
I don't know if I'm making it too complicated, but I don't know if I would take this line with any hands. Which hands would I check call with, which would I lead with and which would i Check raise with? If I have a read on him and think that he is cbetting with air a lot here, wouldn't it be better to reraise with some garbage, and some of my weaker flush draws? Call with most of my aces, and strong flush draws?
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
I think the only hands that this line would make sense for would be some of my weaker pockets that lose to too many turn and river cards, and some of my weak aces that I would rather fold if he continues showing aggression after a small reraise. Even those I would probably call with, but maybe it makes sense to reraise. What do you guys think?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Whenever you don't have enough equity to call a bet you should fold, or you can bluff. In this case when you raise the flop you are blocking a hand like A7s. But that hand should call more times, since it is reducing the possibility that the V has bet with dominated hands like 87s, etc. Therefore the raise is made when your opponent bet with his full range and now you think is unlikely will make 3bet on the flop with a hand like KQs, representing the aces that have the best kickers.
However when the board indicates that V might have some flush draw combos, it decreases the chance of getting more folds from UTG. The possibility of increasing fold equity is when he thinks your range is too closed. Because in this case the opponent should fold with hands like JJ or TT.
The villain must be very disciplined when he has more values ​​formed in his range, since your position in the BB denotes a wider range by default.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Against his small sizing the flop is a standard check-call. You are not supposed to do a lot of check-raising on A high boards against an EP open, and you certainly have better candidates like spade draws or 54. Check-raising this hand specifically generally gets worse hands to fold and better hands to call.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands