$25 NLHE 6-max: AA deep stacked versus 3bet

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't seem to figure out how to pull the hand history into a better format, so I'll explain the hand.

Zone poker, $0.10/$0.25. Hero in BB with $64ish, Villain in SB with $82ish to start the hand. UTG calls, UTG+2 raises to $1.10, SB(Villain) 3bets to $3.20, Hero 4bets to $8.55, only villain calls. Flop is Kd, Jd, 8c...both check. Turn is 2c...both check. River is 9c...Villain checks, Hero bets $5.50, Villain calls.

Let me know what you all think of this hand, after I get a couple responses I'll explain my thought process on the hand. I admittedly am not super happy with how I played the hand, hence my primary reason for posting here.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't seem to figure out how to pull the hand history into a better format, so I'll explain the hand.

Zone poker, $0.10/$0.25. Hero in BB with $64ish, Villain in SB with $82ish to start the hand. UTG calls, UTG+2 raises to $1.10, SB(Villain) 3bets to $3.20, Hero 4bets to $8.55, only villain calls. Flop is Kd, Jd, 8c...both check. Turn is 2c...both check. River is 9c...Villain checks, Hero bets $5.50, Villain calls.

Let me know what you all think of this hand, after I get a couple responses I'll explain my thought process on the hand. I admittedly am not super happy with how I played the hand, hence my primary reason for posting here.
#1 you checked and missed value and gave a free draw
#2 turn you checked got no value and gave free cards
#3 you decided to bet 5.50 into a pot of over 20$ when the flush got completed on the river
#4 Theres no point in analyzing the river as we should never do this and get here like this again
Villian shows 1010-QQ AJ
if he is a slow player add KQ KJ suited

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a fishy opponent this is just a simple bet, bet, shove the river. However given its 25NL I assume, the Villain is probably not terrible, and then some kind of pot control is reasonable. However I still think, you are missing value. The modern approach is the so called down betting on the flop, which I think would work fine here. Something like 25-30% of the pot. Then you bet half pot on the turn and check back this river.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to agree with you both that I missed value. I put villain on a range of KK-10 10, AK, AQ, maybe AJ suited but probably not. 3betting and calling a 4bet out of position is super polarizing. A flop with a K and J...I was super concerned he flopped a set and definitely could have been pushed off my hand if he took the right aggressive line. I also figured that if all the money were to get in, I most likely will not have the best hand when the dust settles. No worse hand is getting in all-in that deep.

Looking back on the hand, I still like the flop check which keep KK and JJ in my range...but I think I like betting turn and again on the river. As played, I ruled out KK and JJ by him checking 3 times...so I assumed I was good by the river. I figured AQ and 10 10 and maybe QQ would probably fold to a 2/3 pot bet...but I would for sure get called by 10 10, QQ, and AK on the smaller bet.

When I looked back at what he ended up having, I was sick to find out he had AK. With that specific hand, I could for sure have gotten 2 streets of action and probably missed out on $20-25 of action overall. Thanks for the input.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well this is the thing, you are kind of seeing monsters under the bed. When this deep it totally makes sense, that he call your 4-bet with AK, while KK is probably still a 5-bet. So he has more AK than sets in his range, but yet you are mainly thinking about the sets. Which by the way you would likely hear from, if he had them.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well this is the thing, you are kind of seeing monsters under the bed. When this deep it totally makes sense, that he call your 4-bet with AK, while KK is probably still a 5-bet. So he has more AK than sets in his range, but yet you are mainly thinking about the sets. Which by the way you would likely hear from, if he had them.

Right, I was overly concerned with the set hands and missed out on value. I still don't think I should be trying to get 3 streets of value. But what one other poster recommended of 25-30% pot on flop and then 50% of pot on turn seems reasonable...or maybe smaller bets on turn and river would have made sense as well. No disputing I missed value, all I can do is learn from it.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right, I was overly concerned with the set hands and missed out on value. I still don't think I should be trying to get 3 streets of value. But what one other poster recommended of 25-30% pot on flop and then 50% of pot on turn seems reasonable...or maybe smaller bets on turn and river would have made sense as well. No disputing I missed value, all I can do is learn from it.
Your bet % should match your flop cbet amount

If you cbet/bluff with 35% on flop
Bet with good hands 35% on flop
Pots 10 $ does raiseing it 3.5$ get you value against a draw that gets an implied odds of 50% of the pot on your turns planned bet
No probably bad
Does 3.5 work as a bluff.
Against some opponents yes others call u down with 2ND 3rd pair with redraw

I am a 50% flop everytime guy .
It gets good equity for my made hands against draws and provides enough pot odds to villians to fold 2nd 3rd pair to my cbets and bluffs.
Turn bet should not be a set % but situational to your opponents range against the board.