$25 NLHE 6-max: $25 NLHE 6-max: $25 NLHE 6-max: Getting Shoved on turn with an Overpair

ZenAndPoker

ZenAndPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$25 NLHE 6-max: $25 NLHE 6-max: $25 NLHE 6-max: Getting Shoved on turn with an Overpair

I've included two different examples. I run into these kinds of situations a lot at micro-stakes where I'm holding a premium pocket pair on a low board and facing a shove on the turn. What makes it hard for me to lay these down is the frequency in which I see players shove turns with only draws or lower PP's than me that are still higher than the board, and the occasional player smart enough to flat my 3-bet with aces when I have kings or AA-KK when I have queens.

I just don't how to play these spots very well unless I know the opponent is tight and won't shove unless he has a good hand.

NL Holdem $0.25(BB)
HERO ($24.4)
BB ($21.04)
HJ ($3.17)
CO ($17.82) [VPIP: 59.2% | PFR: 16.3% | AGG: 59.7% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 51]
BTN ($26.07)

Dealt to Hero: Q Q

HJ Calls $0.25, CO Raises To $0.50, BTN Calls $0.50, HERO Raises To $2.50, BB Folds, HJ Folds, CO Calls $2, BTN Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.55 effective]
Flop ($6.00): 3 6 9
HERO Bets $4.70 (Rem. Stack: 17.2), CO Calls $4.70 (Rem. Stack: 10.62)

Turn ($15.40): 3 6 9 6
HERO Bets $7.15 (Rem. Stack: 10.05), CO Raises To $10.62 (allin), HERO Calls $3.47 (Rem. Stack: 6.58)

River ($36.64): 3 6 9 6 2

CO shows: A A

CO wins: $34.81

In this hand I'm facing a player I've already ID'd as an aggro-fish. He players too many hands and likes to raise.

NL Holdem $0.25(BB)
HERO ($23.95)
SB ($24.15)
BB ($41.49) [VPIP: 50% | PFR: 31.3% | AGG: 32.5% | 3-Bet: 18.2% | Hands: 48]
UTG ($30.3)
HJ ($24.55)
CO ($27.66)

Dealt to Hero: J J

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.60, SB Folds, BB Raises To $2.20, HERO Calls $1.60

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.83 effective]
Flop ($4.50): 7 5 8
BB Checks, HERO Bets $3 (Rem. Stack: 18.75), BB Calls $3 (Rem. Stack: 36.29)

Turn ($10.50): 7 5 8 3
BB Checks, HERO Bets $7 (Rem. Stack: 11.75), BB Raises To $20 (Rem. Stack: 16.29), HERO Calls $11.75 (allin)

River ($49.25): 7 5 8 3 Q

BB shows: Q 9

BB wins: $46.00

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand one:

I am totally fine with how you played this. The flop is a pretty obvious value-bet. On the turn, just go ahead and put him all in when you bet, but as played this is the easist call ever just as we only need to call $3 lol.

Hand 2:

I am okay with a bet/fold on the flop. Obviously it is super wet, so watch out for slowpayed flushes.

The turn is probably a check-back imo. When he check-raises on this super wet board, he probably has the flush. You can make the pot-odds argument but i honestly don't think we have any equity at all in this spot. We only have single-pair hands beat, and single-pair hand can V check raise here?

I think i fold even with the odds offered. We simply have around 0% equity

Wow i just looked at what he had, as i like to analiyze before trying to view the spoilers (This one worked, which is odd.) This is perhaps the wierdest poker play i have ever seen lol. (not on your part, on villains.) wow.

ZenAndPoker

ZenAndPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand one:

Wow i just looked at what he had, as i like to analiyze before trying to view the spoilers (This one worked, which is odd.) This is perhaps the wierdest poker play i have ever seen lol. (not on your part, on villains.) wow.

I see shit like that all the damn time on ignition micro stakes. Not literally, but enough that I feel like it really damages my ability to play my "A Game" mentally and makes me start second guessing myself and questioning what to do against other players later on.

I normally wouldn't even bet the turn here, but this player was playing like an asshole from the moment he sat down on the table. I feel like I find myself in these spots a lot, wanting to play back at an aggro-moron fish, waiting for a premium hand and just pushing it hard and hoping he doesn't have something bigger. Too many times it feels like they do.

I tell myself the board doesn't matter against aggro bluffing maniacs, but I'm obviously wrong about that. Almost never would I be going in with jacks here.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 is okay.

You could of possibly misplayed hand 2.
You can easily 4bet jj from cut off vs bb and that can force him to fold suited connectors. As played I don't think you should be cbetting that flop. Bad for your range plus you don't have a heart.

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hand 1 well played
hand 2 im the type of player that will put a small bet maybe 2 3 times the blinds just 2 see who i can get to fold and who calls

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 well played on flop. SPR is small so go for it.

Hand 2 three hearts on the flop and no heart in the hand. But he chance that he has a flush is still low less then 15% I would say.
Suppose that this is his range:
AA-66,AKo-ATo,KQo-KTo,QJo-QTo,JTo,AKs-A2s,KQs-K9s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s,98s,87s
Then the change that he has you beat with a flush is 8.7% only which is not much, so don't be influenced to much by a flush board.

If he really is an aggro fish and likes to bet on every street would let him bet and check call all the way down even on this heavy flush and straight type board as long as no obvious other danger card comes off e.g. a heart or a 6. Would probably have called him down on this run out. Nothing wrong with value betting out also against this fish (SPR is small enough).

Cash games are high variance and JJ is just borderline a favorite against the range I gave so would prefer to have an even better pair (QQ+) or e.g. JJ with a heart in it which would make it more profitable situation as opponent can even have less flush draws and you can improve to a flush draw.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2:

i like the way u played it preflop and on the flop.he is 3 beting 18% of his hands i would have him on 88+ QJs+ A10s+ AJ+. by him calling the flop he doesn't hold a pair it is a scary board to just call with an over pair. i would put him on a flush draw with an A or a K of heart in his hand a AQ, AK, KQ like hands. on the turn the Q is very scary to me i like your bet even the size of it looks good to me but wouldn't follow with an allin call i would think i'm for sure already beat there maybe even drawing dead. him shoving looks more like a made flush some kind of small flush with 910 i would fold to a shove on the turn.
but i would never have guessed a Q9o from him. u have 48 hands on him he did played 24 of them so its hard to put him on a range the guy is very active.
everyone playing more than 35% of there hands is a fish to me so i never try to look at there thinking on a hand.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 is fine.. bet sizing is a little strange because of short stack size. I'd just shove the turn if I'm betting that much on the flop.

Hand 2... against someone this aggro, I'd 4-bet pre. It's just purely for value because they could do something even dumber w/ worse. I don't mind a call of course. As played,and this is just villain specific, I think a turn bet/call is fine. If he was at all reasonable, you should probably be checking the turn or bet/folding.