$2000 NLHE Full Ring: Nut str8 on paired, suited board

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero has LAG image, not been playing for long. Stacked around 150 BB

Villain 1 is LAGish, not much on him. Stack around 200 BB. C-bets around 95% of time, only doesn't fire one when he flops a monster. Expoliatable trait.

Villain 2 is loose passive. Seen him check down hands like 2 pair. 80bb (no clue what he is doing, i don't think.)

Villain 1 is in MP2, folded to him. Raises to 60

Villain 2 is in CO, limps for 60

Hero is Bttn with Jh Qd., calls 60.

Blinds fold.

Flop Ad Td Ts pot: 210

Vil. 1 bets 160

Vil. 2 calls

Hero calls.

Turn: 4d pot: 690

Vil. 1 checks
Vil. 2 checks
Hero bets 510
Both villains call.

River Kd

Villain 1 bets 300
Villain 2 calls
Hero?

That is an awfully small river bet... Is my str8 ever good?

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way you played it, JQ is definitely a call here. He's bet 1/3rd pot, so you only need to be good 33 percent of the time to break even which you certainty are.
JQ is also close to the top of your range here, have to call.

JQo isn't strong enough to call here imo. 3bet bluff it or fold pre.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Am I reading this wrong? U have the nut flush as written

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I reading this wrong? U have the nut flush as written

oops! sorry, that 4 was a heart. I proofread, but that slipped by!

I meant should i raise or flat call. I go ahead and raise. I will try to edit that!

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oops! sorry, that 4 was a heart. I proofread, but that slipped by!

I meant should i raise or flat call. I go ahead and raise. I will try to edit that!

I love the raise. Very likely villain one has some sort of flush and villain two has an ace or a bare 10. We have significantly more boat combos AND we hold the best blocker card in the deck with the Qd. So if we raise it puts V1 in such a hard spot with J high flushes for example and if he's competent I think he lays down a J high flush to an appropriate sized raise. 1300 total should do the trick here. It's betting 1300 to win 1700 so he only needs to lay it down 43% of the time for raise to be profitable. Not very worried about V2 his range is weak and highly doubtful he calls a raise.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the raise. Very likely villain one has some sort of flush and villain two has an ace or a bare 10. We have significantly more boat combos AND we hold the best blocker card in the deck with the Qd. So if we raise it puts V1 in such a hard spot with J high flushes for example and if he's competent I think he lays down a J high flush to an appropriate sized raise. 1300 total should do the trick here. It's betting 1300 to win 1700 so he only needs to lay it down 43% of the time for raise to be profitable. Not very worried about V2 his range is weak and highly doubtful he calls a raise.

OP raiser has all the boat combos which makes raising here quite bad. A straight already beats all his ax's and 10's. KQ and AX's would be a far better hands to raise as it blocks full house combos and have less SD value. If you're bluff raising straights you are bluffing far too much.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

OP raiser has all the boat combos which makes raising here quite bad. A straight already beats all his ax's and 10's. KQ and AX's would be a far better hands to raise as it blocks full house combos and have less SD value. If you're bluff raising straights you are bluffing far too much.

Hero has a very specific read that villain checks flop with monsters exploitably and so villain has no AA,10K,A10... the only boats that make any sense for villain would be 44 and KK but I highly doubt KK calls turn. If he did have a boat I highly doubt he's only betting 300 because flushes for the most part are going to be calling static here, so regardless of whether he bets 300 or 1k he expects to get paid by flushes so his tiny sizing drastically decreases the odds he's holding a boat IMHO. I think JQd is an ideal bluff raise candidate because it has very little showdown value vs V1 but a ton of FE vs V1's range, and V2's dead money makes it even more enticing a spot

I think my opinion diverges from yours in two key locations. I don't believe villain has boats here and you think he has tons, and you think we have showdown value and I don't think we have much at all because V1 is checking 10x and Ax on river here IMO.

Last edited:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love how every post starts with "Hero has a LAG image." :d

Just a quick note on your info. You said that Villain 2 "limps for 60" but he just calls. A limp would really only be if he called for just the BB. But since it's been raised in front of him he can no longer limp.

Am I the only one who thinks the flop overcall is sort of super thin? Like I'm pretty hung up on it and I don't think we need to be overcalling with the weakest draws in our range here. If anything a raise right on the flop is better than a call.

Overall I like the river raise primarily for the reasons that Jblocher calls out, and generally agree that we make more here by raising than calling, so our SDV isn't that relevant so long as we don't mind being somewhat unbalanced here.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love how every post starts with "Hero has a LAG image." :d

Just a quick note on your info. You said that Villain 2 "limps for 60" but he just calls. A limp would really only be if he called for just the BB. But since it's been raised in front of him he can no longer limp.

Am I the only one who thinks the flop overcall is sort of super thin? Like I'm pretty hung up on it and I don't think we need to be overcalling with the weakest draws in our range here. If anything a raise right on the flop is better than a call.

Overall I like the river raise primarily for the reasons that Jblocher calls out, and generally agree that we make more here by raising than calling, so our SDV isn't that relevant so long as we don't mind being somewhat unbalanced here.

I don't think the flop call is terrible so long as we have a plan for stealing on a later street. If hero doesn't give V1 any 10x and v2 has no idea what's going on it's very likely we will be able to take this down on a later street. I'm not sure raising would make much sense because with those reads I don't think we would be raising 10x here and if we aren't raising 10x we can't really raise our draws unless we are fine with being unbalanced. I'm not really sure how big a deal balancing is at live 10/20 because I've never played that high and have no clue how hard it is overall.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Results of this hand:

Hero raises, villain 1 folds, villain 2 folds, hero collects a nice pot.

Interesting discussion! I just called the flop because i had a pretty good read that villain 1 probably was pretty weak, and that the other guy was clueless and i wanted to keep him in.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero has a very specific read that villain checks flop with monsters exploitably and so villain has no AA,10K,A10... the only boats that make any sense for villain would be 44 and KK but I highly doubt KK calls turn. If he did have a boat I highly doubt he's only betting 300 because flushes for the most part are going to be calling static here, so regardless of whether he bets 300 or 1k he expects to get paid by flushes so his tiny sizing drastically decreases the odds he's holding a boat IMHO. I think JQd is an ideal bluff raise candidate because it has very little showdown value vs V1 but a ton of FE vs V1's range, and V2's dead money makes it even more enticing a spot

I think my opinion diverges from yours in two key locations. I don't believe villain has boats here and you think he has tons, and you think we have showdown value and I don't think we have much at all because V1 is checking 10x and Ax on river here IMO.

Regardless of the read HERO has. OR clearly has AA and KK while we never do, so the only boat combo's we have are k10 and a10 and if villain has an ace in his hand it make its even less likely we have boats. We have so many worse hands in our range which we want to raise as a bluff. Raising a straight on the river trying to fold out flushes in a spot we have very few full house combos is far too loose.