$2000 NLHE Full Ring: Flop trips w Bad kicker OOP

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero has been LAG, around 300BB

Villain is a splashy LAG. He was running bluffs earlier to build his image and is now using it to get value from monsters. He still will have a higher number of bluffs than most, though. I think he is at least a decent player as he knew how to build an image. 700BB+

HJ is a passive calling station that is pretty much dead money. 175 BB

Folds to HJ, calls 20
fold, Villain on BU raises to 100
Hero in BB calls with Jh8h
HJ calls

Flop: Js Jc 5s Pot:~330

Hero bets 200
HJ calls
Villain raises to 800
Hero calls
HJ tanks, calls

Turn: Kh Pot: ~2700

Hero checks
HJ checks
Villain bets 2000
Hero calls
HJ folds

River: 4c Pot: 6700

Hero checks
Villain checks

Pre, i thought J8 was playable but didnt want to 3-bet into a really aggressive villain with a marginal/weak holding. I would say his BU range vs open limp is just about anything.

Flop is good, but i have some kicker issues. I was thinking that if i could get heads up with HJ it was value-town, i was concerned with villains raise though. I felt like he could be doing this with a flush draw, Jx, AA, KK, QQ, 55. Fewer crazy random bluffs because HJ is involved and is a known calling station.

Turn, I decided to check because I knew that V would probably bet/raise again, and if i bet and he raised me i would be priced into just about any river, and there are some bad ones. Also, if he is going to bet i will still get value if i am ahead.

River I planned on c-calling, if i bet I think i need to jam and if i do that it takes away most of his bluffs and we are looking at maybe AA, KK, Jx, 55.

So, was this an okay line with this hand? Or should i be gii against a splashy v?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm good with how you played this. Keeping the fishes' money in is priority 1.

I'm waffling between check/calling and check/folding the river. I suppose I'd call since all the draws whiffed, but 300 deep with your hand face up it'd be kinda gross if he jams.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given the reads on the opponents, I'm likewise okay with this. The higher stakes games can get so wonky at times, that I like planning to check/call mostly turns and rivers, but at lower stakes games against opponents who are less capable of showing up with bluffs, it'd probably become a check/fold.

I'm also not positive what your leading range looks like on this flop, but it's def a bit of a weird spot imo.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok this all makes sense. I feel like the HJ being involved really makes it a weird. I think this flop is not always a lead for me, especially versus an aggro opponent. I mostly wanted to be getting HJs money.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given the fact that Villain is a LAG I dont think leading flop is optimal, what does it achieve?

If we suppose he is LAG and he was iso raising preflop I would expect him to cbet this flop so I would be more willing to go for a check raise or a call OTF. If you want to keep in the fish money its better to just call if he Cbets than check raise. That might scare the fish.

Calling down seems reasonable. I just dont know what kind of donking range u have here on the flop, doesnt make much sense to me. I generally donk when I have a massive range advantage against the preflop aggressor and I missed my hand. Basically I donk when my hand misses the board, but my range smacks the board. Im then capable of donking to make him fold superior hands /only works if V is a thinking player/

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We lead the flop because villain is less likely to cbet multi way with a fish in the pot. And skipping a street of value with a fish in the pot is extra terrible.

Check/raising is idiotic. You face the calling station with a bet & a raise, and the easy money will often fold out of the pot. The only reason to check/raise this board is if you hate money.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well played sir.

The call preflop is good as a calling station called and a thinking LAG isolates him can call with almost any hand from the BB as the calling station is not likely to raise.

Flopped well and it is a multi-way pot would indeed bet out as calling station will prob call you and that will also make that the LAG gets great odds to also call still with a wide range. Villain raises (well LAGs do that on these kind of board with all sorts of hands) you call and the calling station also calls.

Turn is a K a check is well played as one of them is likely to improve on this card and you want them to bet out. It is a multi-way pot and betting out with a calling station on the K might get the LAG to back down on the turn already. Even if they both missed the LAG is likely to represent the K and try once more to move you both out of the pot LAG bets you call with one player behind. By now it looks like you and the villain have a big hands or a big draws like a spade flush draw with e.g. AK, AQ, QT etc.

River: as you indicate the villain is a thinking player he will put you on a very strong range so jamming makes no sense to me as that probably only will get called by better hands. But as AK and AA are hands that you still can extract value from a small value bet such as 1/3 pot to get a call from AK and AA could be considered here if you think he still has enough AK AA hands in his range that is.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it'was played good i would go for value bet on the river he has some to call with a 1/3pot that would give him a reason to call with a king in his hand or 99+ other that that i'm ok with the way u played it