$2000 NLHE Full Ring: Is this a bad call?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is playing a deep stack, about 6500. Our villain is chip leader with around 7000.
Villain is TAG, shows some signs of weak play. (Goes to showdown with marginal hands on wet boards, plays out of position.) He has built a big stack by playing in 3 big pots. The first was a set over set hand that he slow played until the river and then got his stack in, he check called flop and turn then check raised the river. Second was him getting it in bad with KK vs AA and hitting a set to win. The third time he overplayed a marginal hand and picked off a bluff.
Villain has a flair for the dramatic, doing some things that suggested ego poker. He likes to throw his chips around and bullies his way to winning pots. He is super aggressive.
Here is the action:
UTG folds
Villain raises to 70 from UTG+1
Utg+2 calls
Action fold around to hero in mp.
Hero: Jd Js
Hero raises to 240
Villain calls
UTG+2 calls.

Flop: 9h Th Jh
Villain is all in.
UTG folds.
Hero?

This is a weird spot. Why does he just jam on the flop?
I couldn’t see him doing this with Qh Kh. If he had flopped that good, he would slow play it to death or at least go for value. Maybe he got excited and shoved before really thinking about it? He doesn’t ever have Qh9h or 7h8h. If he has a straight flush, it is with QK. He could have Ah Qh, but then again, with a blocker to the straight, the nut flush, and a royal flush draw, why would he just push. The same with AKs, nut flush, blocker, and RF draw. He would have dumped Ah 8h facing a three-bet preflop, I think.

If he has 99, TT, TJ, or 9T, awesome! He would either have to hit a 1 outer or hit runners to make quads. Shoving with these is a bluff, he would never really be called by worse.
He could have QKo with maybe the Qh or Kh, but still, what does he get called by that loses to him?
AA or KK as a bluff? A hand like AhAs still has good equity against a straight, but I have both of those hands beat.
What other hands does he have? Why does he shove? I was really confused. I think he has to be bluffing, or making some super high level play with a straight flush trying to rep a bluff (He doesn’t go past the second level, so I really doubt that). Hero tanks and calls. Is calling the right play?

Villain has Ah Ac

Turn is 4d

River is 4c

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is playing a deep stack, about 6500. Our villain is chip leader with around 7000.
Villain is TAG, shows some signs of weak play. (Goes to showdown with marginal hands on wet boards, plays out of position.) He has built a big stack by playing in 3 big pots. The first was a set over set hand that he slow played until the river and then got his stack in, he check called flop and turn then check raised the river. Second was him getting it in bad with KK vs AA and hitting a set to win. The third time he overplayed a marginal hand and picked off a bluff.
Villain has a flair for the dramatic, doing some things that suggested ego poker. He likes to throw his chips around and bullies his way to winning pots. He is super aggressive.
Here is the action:
UTG folds
Utg+2 calls
Hero raises to 240
Villain calls
UTG+2 calls.

Villain is all in.
UTG folds.
Hero?

I couldn’t see him doing this with Qh Kh. If he had flopped that good, he would slow play it to death or at least go for value. Maybe he got excited and shoved before really thinking about it? He doesn’t ever have Qh9h or 7h8h. If he has a straight flush, it is with QK. He could have Ah Qh, but then again, with a blocker to the straight, the nut flush, and a royal flush draw, why would he just push. The same with AKs, nut flush, blocker, and RF draw. He would have dumped Ah 8h facing a three-bet preflop, I think.

If he has 99, TT, TJ, or 9T, awesome! He would either have to hit a 1 outer or hit runners to make quads. Shoving with these is a bluff, he would never really be called by worse.
He could have QKo with maybe the Qh or Kh, but still, what does he get called by that loses to him?
AA or KK as a bluff? A hand like AhAs still has good equity against a straight, but I have both of those hands beat.
What other hands does he have? Why does he shove? I was really confused. I think he has to be bluffing, or making some super high level play with a straight flush trying to rep a bluff (He doesn’t go past the second level, so I really doubt that). Hero tanks and calls. Is calling the right play?

3 bet bigger pre. As deep as you are vs opener I like a sizing of around 350 better. As for this flop action... yeah this is a weird spot. You are almost certainly behind here when he does this into two opponents. I think we find the fold even with our redraw outs. Live to fight another day

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When a player makes such a horrible move that makes no sense at all, his hand and range will make no sense either., i see so many things like AhX or AhAx Khkx that i dont want to fold top set, close eyes and call, i can not assign a splashy volatile insane player to be doing this with nuts often enough in order to fold top Set.However maybe thats the worst hand i would call with.Nice read nice call. You pretty much exploited his depolarized shoving range that screams fear and protection (in his silly mind) rather than nuts.

C

CrashMcCarran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't see that kind of shove with nut hands here. Even a weaker player at these stakes I can't see him thinking the most profitable play would be to shove nutted hands here. Maybe weak flush hands but there really can't be that many in his range in this spot so hands like AhKx, AxKh AhJx or a worse set. So basically does he have more pair + draw hands in this spot or made hands?

I'm probably not good enough to find the fold here, it's a tough call but I'm probably stacking off in this spot.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first thought would be that he has As, Ks, or Qs with a heart redraw. But I don't think shoving with AhQh or AhKh is a terrible play as you will frequently get called by a straight or a set. The same could be said of KhQh but I think it incredibly rare that you will find a player that doesn't want to milk that, praying for the board to pair. There are certainly players that shove a straight there, especially with a heart in hand. A tough situation but I think I have to call there.

iamtoldurghey

iamtoldurghey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tuff one

Here is the action:
UTG folds
Utg+2 calls
Hero raises to 240
Villain calls
UTG+2 calls.

Villain is all in.
UTG folds.
Hero?

Villain has Ah Ac

Turn is 4d

River is 4c
I agree with 3 betting bigger
But its so strange on flop ive gotta call sometimes to keep the sets and AxAh KxKh QxQh honest but its not a bad fold not alot committed and he into both of you

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Description of villain is contradiction. First and second paragraph are describing different opponent. Could it be he is the like said in first paragraph but overvalues his hands and because of this seems to be aggressive. (This kind of player type btw is my main income at my pool)

If so above comments should be on the mark with high probability imo.

Last edited:
Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would call this anytime as there is a good chance that he just has a high single heart in his hand (see that often enough). I wonder why someone with a nut flush or a normal flush make an all-in 3 bet on this board? There are not many hands that hit this flop in a 3 bet pot very good.

So would not love the spot but would call you have top set and if he has the nut flush (not the straight flush) you still have outs (7-10) ~34% to hit a full house or quads.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It looks good to me. Cant really support it with any rational statement other than shipping it on the flop with a straight flush or a nut flush is just losing value and I dont expect this type of egocentric guy to do this.

Something very similar happened to me yesterday at considerably smaller stakes /10NL zoom/ and villain had a set. Oftentimes I see people fastplaying hands that dont want you to see the next card at any cost. Needless to say that this is kinda suicidal and retarded move, he hits super wet board where you are uncapped and shoves wtf. Clear LAGtard. It was still a pretty good damn holding for him, with the nut draw, but I think it was a smart call with top set. Would be pretty tough with bottom set for example. Nice runout and nice scoop man. Like the play

Edit: Not to say that he is literally never getting called by worse.