$2000 NLHE Full Ring: 2 pair with wierd verbal tell.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero is LAG, been playing a lot of hands from a lot of spots, as the table is a but nitty. 600 BB

Villain is a "rockfish" Tight, passive. He is super Passive preflop. Not conscious of his position. Can't read boards. ~450 BB

Folds to hero in mp.
Hero raises to 80 with 9s 8s
Folds to villain in sb, raises to 160
BB folds.
Hero 4-bets to 700
Villain tanks, finally calls after 3.5 minutes

Flop: ks 8d 9h

Villain bets 200
Hero raises to 1000
Villain calls

Turn: 5s

Villain checks
Hero bets 2000
Villain raises all in

Easy call?

Preflop, this is a standard open for me when i play loose, i know what i am doing with it. He min-3 bets, he is so passive that i thought a big 4-bet might scare him off. He calls and i am in pos. with a playable hand.

Flop is good, bttm 2, backdoor FD. He leads for 200, which is ridonkulus so i raised, usually when this guy bets he has something at least.

Turn, he checks, fairly good card for me. I am only worried about KK. (He could have that, definatley can see him doing all of these little bets and crap with it.) I bet, he c-raises all-in. I was going to call, just because there are 6 combos of AA vs. 3 of KK here, and i think he does this with AA. (doesn't quite understand that it is an 85% favorite, not 100.) What worries me is what he says afterwords:

"I think you have a set." Thats what he says. He has me put on a BETTER hand than i actually have and jams on me. ?????

Really only 3 combos beat me, as i am not afraid of 88. 99, 55. I call him, is that stupid?

River: 2s

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all you should never 4bet this hand in this situation. You said he is passive preflop and you still 4bet bluff. That doesn't make any sense. You get good odds and it should be 100% call.

as played flop raise is ok
turn is interesting. of course his range looks like KK+, AK, but his bet sizing tells us he could really have a kings here. Min 3bet, betting small on flop on dry structure, allin turn because some flush draw opened. But we can't fold here even after his talking about putting you on set. Two pairs+fd+pot odds I guess(didn't count) =call. If he overplays Aces or AK you have an easy call. As he is a fish (no one good play 2x 3bet oop) I think he is able to make some stupid mistakes.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess not 4-betting makes sense. If he is confident enough to 3-bet (even a min-raise) than he must be pretty strong. I hadn't thought about it that way! I honestly also thought that a 4-bet might have some fold equity against AKo, mayve that was misguided?

I agree with your reasoning on the turn. At worst we have 9 flush outs (assuming nobody folded a spade.) We could even be ahead against AA, although that seems less likely.

Thanks, you made me feel a lot better about this. I was sorta wondering whether i had played it stupidly, glad at least somebody thinks it was okay.

He does show KK, pretty much as expected. (You shoulda heard the rant. "You suck out little ^#$@! I told you i thought you had a set! The poor guy just left, all the while spewing about "stupid donks don't know how to fold a flush draw"):D:D:D

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is bot (Roman) or mentally ill seems from his post history.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got pretty lucky.

Preflop: Agree with above that this isn't a good spot to 4-bet. He clearly has a very good hand, and you have little to no fold equity. Against lighter 3-bettors this plan would work.

Flop: Raise is fine, as you get value from AA/AK/maybe QQ, and his bet is suspicious to begin with.

Turn: Could be played several different ways. For example, if you felt he had AA/AK/QQ, bet is appropriate. If you think he has KK (which I would think seems more likely given his small flop bet-call), then a check gives you chance to catch up with the flush.

Since you went with the first read, his jam tells you AA/AK/QQ is not correct. His line of 3-betting pre, small bet-calling flop, check-raising turn looks very much like a slowplay with the nuts or a wild bluff. Since he's passive, bluff is very unlikely. At that point it comes down to math and you were not getting the right odds to call.

Poker Tells