$200 PLO8 Full Ring: 5-card Omaha H/L--do I fold nut low?

B

BenAWhile

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New member! Hi everyone.

Live game, $1-$2-$5 pot limit 5-card Omaha-8, eight players. I have position on main Villain. Players are uniformly pretty tight but lots of pre-flop limping. Game gets aggressive after the flop, not that much before.

I'm in middle position with A2679, but no suited Ace and no hearts (which will matter). Two limpers before me, and I limp for $5, and the button and both blinds call.

Flop: 3h 5s 8h

Hooray! I have the nut low and a straight draw, but the two hearts worry me and I know my low can be counterfeited. I expect a lot of betting--quite possibly, someone else has A2 here--but the first two players check. I can see the button getting chips ready so I check, planning a check-raise. Button bets $10, both blinds fold, main Villain calls, it's folded to me, and I check-raise to $40. Button folds and main Villain min-re-raises to $70.

Villain is one of the tightest players at the table. If he has a weakness, it's that he plays very straightforwardly. We've been at the table for four hours and I have not once been surprised by what he's shown at showdown. So I'm convinced he's got A2 and either a set, a straight draw, or a flush draw. I figure I may be freerolling him with the straight draw, so I call.

Turn: Kh, completing the flush draw.

Villain bets pot after maybe a second of hesitation. What do you do? Thanks in advance.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limped pots.

New member! Hi everyone.

Live game, $1-$2-$5 pot limit 5-card Omaha-8, eight players. I have position on main Villain. Players are uniformly pretty tight but lots of pre-flop limping. Game gets aggressive after the flop, not that much before.

I'm in middle position with A2679, but no suited Ace and no hearts (which will matter). Two limpers before me, and I limp for $5, and the button and both blinds call.

Flop: 3h 5s 8h

Hooray! I have the nut low and a straight draw, but the two hearts worry me and I know my low can be counterfeited. I expect a lot of betting--quite possibly, someone else has A2 here--but the first two players check. I can see the button getting chips ready so I check, planning a check-raise. Button bets $10, both blinds fold, main Villain calls, it's folded to me, and I check-raise to $40. Button folds and main Villain min-re-raises to $70.

Villain is one of the tightest players at the table. If he has a weakness, it's that he plays very straightforwardly. We've been at the table for four hours and I have not once been surprised by what he's shown at showdown. So I'm convinced he's got A2 and either a set, a straight draw, or a flush draw. I figure I may be freerolling him with the straight draw, so I call.

Turn: Kh, completing the flush draw.

Villain bets pot after maybe a second of hesitation. What do you do? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for posting.

There is a wise saying "Never go broke in a limped pot".

This situation is why you should think like that.

How do we not go broke in a limped pot? We do not build the pot without the nuts or the draw to the nuts. Do we have either?

Villain is straight forward player -calls button bet and then min reraises us. Looks like he wants a fold:rolleyes:
AH2H alarm bells. We could almost fold right there. We have a straight draw but we have to get rid of all the hearts and we have to see two more streets.
If villain has just 88 why is villain willing to build a pot on the flop that AH2H crushes, if villain is straight froward? You check raised? Why does a straight forward player reraise min, just a low or weak low weak high as a pot builder?

"Game gets aggressive after the flop". These are wait and see players. They wait to see how far ahead they could be. Not how narrow a margin they can push. Margin pushing players raise preflop.

Ok we call the min check raise.

The turn pot bet. How do we call?
Can we put enough bluffs in villain"s range to call pot.

Is this straight forward wait and see player ever doing that?
If no we must fold turn.

Remember this straight forward villain never tried to get you to fold. Why try on that turn?

Hope this helps

:):)

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How deep are the stacks here? Assuming you ared deep, if you call here, you will be faced with another pot sized bet on the river. So you will be putting in $180+$540=$720 to get half (at best) of the current pot of $360. So you will put in $720 to at best win $180. If an A or a 2 hit the river, you are likely losing the entire pot. I think deep, I would fold. If you are short, and will face a small river bet, I would probably call, but I wouldn't like it.

I would say the flop check raise is a mistake and is why you are in such a tough spot. Pot control in PLO8 with low hands is really important. Your gut shot straight draw on the flop is no good because it will often be the second best straight when it hits, not to mention the flush draw thats there. If you keep the pot small, calling off your nut low becomes a lot easier.

B

BenAWhile

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks both of you, and Gildog89, really good point I hadn't considered about my flop check-raise being a mistake.

Folding in Poker