$200 NLHE Full Ring: Please comment on pros and cons of this play

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buy in is $300. First hand of the night I get 88 UTG and raise to $10. There's a re-raise to $20 with one caller plus me. Flop is K66. I check. Bet is $20, raise to $60. I fold. Those two fight it out with an all in and one guy shows a set of sixes. River is an 8 so I'm kind of annoyed. It was a $200+ pot. A couple hands later those two fight it out again with the other guy hitting quad K's to get his money back. Then I get 77 and raise to $10. The first guy folds, the second guy calls. Flop shows 2 spades and a 7. I bet $20, he raises to $60, I re-raised to $160, he goes All In. He has me covered by like $50. I call with my set, he rivers a spade on the FKG
flush
draw. OUCH! Busted in like 15 minutes. Kind of messed up my night. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Buy in is $300. First hand of the night I get 88 UTG and raise to $10. There's a re-raise to $20 with one caller plus me. Flop is K66. I check. Bet is $20, raise to $60. I fold. Those two fight it out with an all in and one guy shows a set of sixes. River is an 8 so I'm kind of annoyed. It was a $200+ pot. A couple hands later those two fight it out again with the other guy hitting quad K's to get his money back. Then I get 77 and raise to $10. The first guy folds, the second guy calls. Flop shows 2 spades and a 7. I bet $20, he raises to $60, I re-raised to $160, he goes All In. He has me covered by like $50. I call with my set, he rivers a spade on the FKG
flush
draw. OUCH! Busted in like 15 minutes. Kind of messed up my night. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello. Some players would have only paid the raise and not re-raised, so as not to make the pot bigger because the possibility of flush. Although your opponent would probably have put you all-in on the turn. Anyway you made the right play, the one that pays for the long term. But the draw will occur 30% of the time and if the player chasing the color presses you and you have the nuts, what else can you do?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first hand you were way behind, when you folded, so you made the right decision. In the second hand you were ahead, when you got all your money in, so again you clearly made the right decision. What cards come, after you made your last decision in a hand, does not matter. It is just variance, and it will sort itself in the long run.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Right plays, but how is the buy-in affecting you? You say it messed up your whole night. If one buy-in does that, perhaps you shouldn't be playing at that level? Because while the numbers are supposed to sort themselves out in the long run, you can run terribly in the short run.. and the short run can be the duration of your life.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right plays, but how is the buy-in affecting you? You say it messed up your whole night. If one buy-in does that, perhaps you shouldn't be playing at that level? Because while the numbers are supposed to sort themselves out in the long run, you can run terribly in the short run.. and the short run can be the duration of your life.

If getting outdrawn and losing a single bullet in a cash game mess up the rest of your session, that is certainly a problem and a sign, something is not right. I think, most people are way better off starting with online poker rather than live poker. You get to see way more hands, so you get used to situations like this one, and you can play for as little as 2$ rather than 200$. If you are winning online and have build a bankroll of 6.000$ or more, that is the time, you can consider moving to live poker.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for the feedback. W/R/T the buy in, I had more $$ and played for a couple more hours although it's true I don't have a defined bankroll. Fortunately, I can afford the setback and I'm ahead in live cash. Really, what I meant about messing me up was just the abrupt shock of having to rebuy so early in the session. I was kinda hoping the guy would fold to the re-raise. Doing the math now, I see he was getting slightly better than 2-1 to call and even better implied odds. In retrospect, a call to the raise would've been the better play. As it turns out, the guy was streaking, pulling out multiple unlikely river wins on dubious holdings.

jgreenman18

jgreenman18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You probably are not bankrolled for the game. Both plays are fine prob would actually call with the set raising is fine too but I just want to make sure my opponent can bluff it off or think top pair is good. Mixed strat there probably preferable. Seems like the game is pretty good.

jgreenman18

jgreenman18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last tip if you don't have a bankroll nothing else matters. From a man who thought that didn't matter early in my poker career.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think tilt control is more an issue here. Try not to be result oriented. I remembered one day live game I lost 250BB in like 1 orbit with KK < AA (150BB, 4bet pot low card flop) and QQ lost to KQ (100BB, preflop 3way allin). The feeling sucks but this is part of the game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was kinda hoping the guy would fold to the re-raise.

When you have bottom set, he is obviously never going to fold a better hand, so you are clearly not bluffing. This mean, you dont want to get called, when you have the best hand, because you are scared to get outdrawn and lose. This is something, you need to fix, which bring me back to the point about being bankrolled and/or playing online for smaller amounts of money.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pros: you played both hands fine
Cons: you questioned yourself enough to post about it on cardschat. The goal is to get money in ahead as much as possible. You folded when you were behind and got your stack in when you were ahead, you can't control the luck factor.