3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
live $1/$3
Hero stack is $200 and everyone has hero covered. 9 handed
——
Hero looks down at A♣️9♣️ From the cut off. UTG limps, UTG+1 calls. MP calls.Hero raises to $24. Everyone who limped and the blinds call.
—-
Flop: 9♠️5♥️3♣️
Pot: $144
Checks to hero. Here has like $175 behind.
Hero makes it $85.
SB calls. Folds around.
——
Turn: 7♠️
Hero jams remaining $90 some.
SB snap calls with 46o.
(river can’t help us)

Did hero overplay top pair top kicker on the flop? Should hero check on the turn?

(Typed this hand up with emojis, hopefully it goes through, let me know if the emojis don’t show on the forum, no access to a computer)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A9s is probably a bit loose for this table. As you can see, the SPR on the flop will commit you with any pair. A9s isn't much better than their hands. And it's hard to cbet through 4 players. You could also consider limping behind if the table is sticky and calls too much.

As played, just shove the flop. You're just offering opponents amazing implied odds by betting half pot.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it fine. You only have 90 left, you might as well be the aggressor. Villain is getting it in if you don't, and you aren't folding.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the SPR makes it awkward. if you had a full stack, i would like A9s a lot better. although with the shortstack, its one of those where i dont love it but i dont hate it. I dont hate it because we're almost certainly ahead of everyones ranges and because of the way these people play (fit or fold) when we miss, we can cbet and take it down fairly often and scoop up a big pot. as mentioned above, i would think either jam or check. i think both options have merit. but the one thing i would not do is bet half pot. there is no part of our range that should bet half pot and then fold to a raise. because of the fact that we are never folding, we should just jam and take away any chance of someone else taking aggression towards us and denying our equity. of course checking is also good because players at 1/3 dont really pay attention to whether our range is balanced or not. so because of their lack of attention, i dont mind jamming all my bluffs and all the nutted hands in our range (sets, strong overpairs, etc), check/calling all our value hands like A9 to trap and check/folding our nothing hands without too much regard for balance. I think jamming for value is only good if our opponents are capable of recognizing that we should be jamming as a bluff quite often.

Organize a Home Poker Game