Players: (amounts are close estimates)
UTG (Hero) $270 tight aggressive table image. Very aggressive pre-flop
UGT+1: $120
MP: $125 Weak loose
MP+1: $50
HJ: $200 Mildly aggressive solid player
CO: $75 Super tight, somewhat aggressive
BTN: $85 weak
SB: $150 Plays solid starting hands. will pay off when has draw.
BB: $45 TIGHT

Hero (UTG) Dealt TT:
UTG calls $2, fold, MP calls, MP+1 calls, HJ calls, CO folds, BTN calls, SB raises to $10, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls, MP+1 folds, HJ calls, BTN folds. Pot around $38

Flop: Qh, 9s, 4h

SB bets $15, UTG (Hero) calls, MP calls, HJ calls. Pot $75.

Turn: Jc

SB checks, UTG checks, MP raises $10, HJ calls, SB calls, UTG???? Pot is about $110

Alright let me know what you all think the right move is! Should I have shoved or made a bet pre-flop? how about on the flop? Check fold/call/raise turn?

I will post what happens and what I did later. Thanks.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like the most passive line you could have taken. What yours goal for the hand . . to win at SD with the best hand (OTF you've already turned your hand into a bluff catcher) or to bet on the river trying to take the pot down?
I've never played live and i've heard it's pretty loose but i'd still raise UTG to try and narrow the field. If you can get HU you're decisions will be 10x easier. As it stands you're 4-way and if you weren't behind on the flop you are on the turn.
As played i'd raise/fold flop (try to get HU with SB) or just fold on the turn.

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thinking was to slow down a bit.

Most times I would raise pre with TT but 3 hands earlier I won a big pot pre with JJ, a few hands before that I had lost a $150 pot with TT (flopped FH, villian caught a 3 outer), and overall I had been playing quite aggressive pre. I did now want to have to push early, get called, and watch my pair not hold up.

The difference I have noticed with live is that you get a lot of callers. If I would have re-raise this pot pre-flop I would still likely be getting in a 3 way pot (All three liked seeing flops, HJ is solid, SB can play, MP is weak). In retrospect I think that 3 betting would have been the better move preflop and I see merit in raising the flop bet.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As it stands you're 4-way and if you weren't behind on the flop you are on the turn.
As played i'd raise/fold flop (try to get HU with SB) or just fold on the turn.

So you want to turn TT into a bluff on the flop? Also, lol@folding the turn.

Don't care if you raised earlier JJ, you need to raise pre. Because you have a laggy image, if anyone's even paying attention, that just means you can raise more and still get called by much worse. So go ahead and raise to like $12-$15 bucks here preflop.

I did now want to have to push early, get called, and watch my pair not hold up.
I hate seeing this. Don't be afraid to raise when you have a good hand. Live poker people are pretty passive so there's not a lot of 3betting so you don't need to be so worried about getting reraised. Just make your standard raise, cbet good flops and take it down or hit a set and win a big pot.

As played, I agree with you not wanting to limp/raise SBs raise preflop, not because you still get a lot of callers but because it's a bad move(you'd probably be beat if anyone called or 4bet you).

I'm not so sure if i like the flop call. The way you played the hand you seemed like you're trying to hit a set, you didn't hit it so now it's time to get out of the hand as you are not getting odds to make one anymore(even though his bet sucks). I would however call the flop if I was last to act but you're not. Think about this, sb bets, you call, the next guy calls, and then the next guy raises. You just wasted $15 because now you surely have to fold!

When SB checks to you on the turn, im kind of torn on either betting or checking. One of these guys has a queen or FD and I want to value bet against the FDs and also semi-bluff the guy with a queen because i'm not sure if he'd call a bet if a king hits the river. So maybe i'd bet around $80-85 on the turn, i don't know, what do you guys think?

As played on the turn, it's a MUST call. You're getting VERY good odds to hit your straight and even a set(though it might not be good if you hit since there'd be a 4 card straight out there)

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah you turned a OE straight draw.. didn't see that

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you bgomez for the breakdown.

Hind sight is always 20/20. :) If I had to do it over again I would have raised UTG and then c-bet flop. I think this approach would have worked better for me rather all in all than trying to get fancy (I am not sure if I would have won the hand but would have had a better chance).

How it was played was on the turn after SB called I raised to $85. With the weak bet by MP I was confident MP was not very strong (not very capable of making that bet as a fish for a raise, so likely was a weak bet to fend off HJ betting), I was reasonably HJ did not have much as he would have raised otherwise and if SB would have had a made hand I would have expected a raise. So I figured my pocket pair with OESD was best hand or second best with ability to get the best hand to fold and I could rep the str8 (and if called had outs).

MP folds, HJ folds, SB calls.... River comes out 10, so board has 4 to straight and I have trips. SB bets his remaining 30 chips.... I call... He has AK for the A high stra8.

What are peoples thoughts on the raise on the turn? Should I have bet bigger or just flat? What about villan's call? Is calling $75 raise in a $195 pot correct with a 10 outer with 1 card to come?

To do it over again:
If I would have Raised UTG and c-bet/raise after the flop and SB called, I would have been able to again bet the turn with OESD. Not sure if SB would have folded on 3rd barrel or gone all the way down to the river with gut shot and 2 overs (he was a player who chased and was catching) but would have felt better about how I played it at least.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players: (amounts are close estimates)
UTG (Hero) $270 tight aggressive table image. Very aggressive pre-flop

How can you be very aggressive preflop and not raise this utg? Honestly, if you are afraid of getting callers, you should just fold pre. Not what I would do, but raise > fold >> limp. Limping is just awful. Just raise it big, if you get callers, great!

Also, just a quick note. This table seems pretty solid by your reads (for a live game). There are only a few players that you marked as weak, and they all have small stacks. I would say you should leave the table, and try to join another (if that is possible, don't know where you are playing live).

Organize a Home Poker Game