$200 NLHE Full Ring: Live 1/3 - Bluff catch vs aggro V with crazy line?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have played plenty with V before. He's a middle aged regular who has gotten better but has major holes in his game would be surprised if he was a lifetime winner. Biggest of which is tilt aggression and tilt call downs. This session V bought in small for about $200 and worked it up to $600+ before losing some big pots. Currently sitting about $400 and Hero covers.

OTTH:
MP open to $10, 2 callers including V on the button and Hero completes from the BB with AhTc.

Flop ($37): 8h 8c 3h
Checks to V who stabs at it for $20. V will bet pretty much any two cards here to steal when checked to but we are not closing the action. A fold is safer but chances of getting x/r from behind are low based on other Vs previous play. We defend with overs and back doors. Fold, fold. Heads up to the turn.

Turn ($75): 8h 8c 3h Jh
We miss but pick up the nut heart draw and the Ace is also probably good. V would often size down flop with trips but MAY bet over half pot to charge flush draws. V bets $40, Hero calls.

River ($155): 8h 8c 3h Jh Jd
We miss again and check. V quickly bets $75. His value range is super thin here. He's definitely 3B TT+ pre. So he may have some 99, the rest of his pocket pairs are counterfeited and it doesn't make much sense to barrel off a flush on a double paired board plus we block the nut flush limiting some combos. I'm in the tank. I decide to make the call expecting to chop some and get shown a boat on rare occasion but I think he also shows up with T9, QT, KT, 97, Q9 and other random air often enough to at least break even. Too optimistic?

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hey c0rnBr34d, hope you are well.

In my local games the rake is too damn high to justify a flat with ATo even in the BB. 4-way and out of position it's going to be hard to make a profit.

But forgetting rake I'd even muck OTF. But assuming we can profitably float there, I'd raise the turn for sure! You are going to get him to fold a lot of stuff with equity, get him off a chop, and you can put pressure on his lower pocket pairs. Your hand has enough equity to pull off a turn xr, and you block many of the hands he would continue with. I think it's a slam dunk. You can even continue on many rivers.

For the river x/c, the problem with your exact hand is that it blocks all of V's bluffs. Tx and Ahx are the most obvious bluffing candidates.

If this guy is an improving player, I could see him betting 77 like this for 3-streets half pot, making a small bluff on the river. So a river call is pretty close.

If V bets 77-55, T9 this way, but also 99, A8, K8s, Q8s... to 89, he's got 30 bluff combos and 21 value.... I mean yea it's profitable. I guess the problem is with the rest of the hand!

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know who V is, but I think the bluff is too optimistic despite the result.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey c0rnBr34d, hope you are well.

In my local games the rake is too damn high to justify a flat with ATo even in the BB. 4-way and out of position it's going to be hard to make a profit.

But forgetting rake I'd even muck OTF. But assuming we can profitably float there, I'd raise the turn for sure! You are going to get him to fold a lot of stuff with equity, get him off a chop, and you can put pressure on his lower pocket pairs. Your hand has enough equity to pull off a turn xr, and you block many of the hands he would continue with. I think it's a slam dunk. You can even continue on many rivers.

For the river x/c, the problem with your exact hand is that it blocks all of V's bluffs. Tx and Ahx are the most obvious bluffing candidates.

If this guy is an improving player, I could see him betting 77 like this for 3-streets half pot, making a small bluff on the river. So a river call is pretty close.

If V bets 77-55, T9 this way, but also 99, A8, K8s, Q8s... to 89, he's got 30 bluff combos and 21 value.... I mean yea it's profitable. I guess the problem is with the rest of the hand!
Sup Lofa! How you been? I'm good, thanks.

Yea I know it's a fold pre but we lacked some discipline this hand (the Vs calls rub off on me sometimes lol). If we take this flop against this V I think we have to be willing to float over cards with back doors at some frequency. Absolutely agree with turn x/r, these are the spots I somehow miss in real time that tank my aggression factor. There is some merit to keeping him wide and not blowing him off his air but I think it needs to be a mixed strategy and I'm way too unbalanced here. Thanks for pointing that out.

Organize a Home Poker Game