$200 NLHE Full Ring: Getting max value from a flopped set

T

Teppersinger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the NYC live game, 1/2, full ring, I am UTG with 88. I'm really deep with $600, and most of the table has $300-$900 behind. Most players raise preflop 6% to 8% of the time but have VPIP 20%-25%. Typical opening raise is $12-$15.

Having gotten some excellent advice from Seachicken, I open for $6 UTG. I know that will get me some callers but create enough doubt to prevent light 3-bets. I get called by an MP with $100 behind and the button, who has me covered and has been playing 10/6 (VPIP/PFR). I have been using DonkTracker on my ipad to keep those stats, and I have about 90 hands tracked. My own stats are 18/18 in this session. One of the blinds calls as well. So we are 4 to the flop.

The flop comes KQ8 rainbow. The blind checks. Question 1, check or bet? My read on the MP is he is loose/passive. I decide to bet $15 into a pot of $26. MP calls, and the button raises to $45. The blind folds. Question 2, call or raise, and if a raise, how much?

To recap, at this point:
--MP has about $85 behind and $21 invested in the pot
--Button has me covered with $51 invested
--I have $585 behind and $21 invested.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the money you have invested is irrelevant. Raise to $110, $150 on turn, shove river.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep. Keep raising, button obv likes what he has so I think you'll be able to get it all in

T

Teppersinger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So you guys like an immediate 3-bet, to $110 or so...
That's pretty much what I did. I paused for about 45 seconds, then raised to $105. So that's another $60 on top of the $45 raise by the button.
The MP folded pretty fast, and the button folded after 5 seconds or so.

It was a very close call. I had thought about calling the raise. If I had, MP still might have folded, but on the pot-odds and his tendency to be a calling station, he probably would have called. (And there is some small chance he would shove, which would have been ideal.)

What could the button have had? I'm guessing AK (but he probably would have 3-bet AK preflop), KJ, KT, AQ, QJ, AJ. Also possible: KQ or JT, but I can't believe he would fold top 2 pair or an open-ended straight draw. There might be a little air in his range, but he was a 10/6 rock, so I doubt it. If I flat his flop-raise and donk-bet the turn, do I get any more money out of him?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is you have almost 300 BBs to try to get in. Someone playing 10/6 in a live game is likely to not 3-bet AK. So quite often, he will have a hand he likes.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These guys let you use your iPad in game?