$200 NLHE Full Ring: Folding a boat on the river

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is TAG, plays very aggressive fit or fold post flop. STacked around 300bb
Hero has a LAG table image. Around 250 BB

Villain is UTG, raises to 8.

Mp3 calls, Mp4 calls.

Hero is on the button with Ad 9d, raises to 40

Villain calls, limpers fold.

Flop is 9s ks 9c

villain bets 15.

Hero raises 96

villain calls.

Turn 4c

Villain bets 25.

Hero is solidly confused at this point. I feel like i am beat, so i just flat.

Hero calls.

River Ah

Villain bets 250

Hero?

I feel like the only hand he ever has is KK. Fits his range, explains why he bet so weird on the flop. KK can afford to bet small here, because he wants me to hit a spade draw or have a lone 9. The bet sizing is weird and doesn't make much sense unless he had maybe AQs with a busted draw and is trying to bluff me off on the river? If he had AA and was doing something weird with it, he rivered me anyways. What else can he have? :confused:

I went ahead and folded, was that really nitty? And should have have playe the first 2 streets better?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hero calls and it's a super easy call not even close,if villain has slow played AA KK then good game to them they win out stack.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would just raise again on the turn and may get called by AA,AK,KK,and worse 9

I think he could have KK,AA or worst A9 as played and I would find a snug fold unless he is a maniac

J

JustSoPro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only hands I really see you beating here is AK or K9s, I'm fine with your fold.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me this is just a cooler if they somehow have KK and it is why I have more buy-ins in my bankroll and don't have to be afraid of running into a big hand occasionally.

A lot of people would re-raise AA/KK pre-flop over a button squeeze so I would almost never be folding a hand this strong on the river as played.

You have an aggressive image and a very strong hand, use your image to get paid now...

I like the flop raise and would just keep raising if they keep donking... raise turn and get it in - you will be up against AK/KQ some of the time - hard to fold those hands to an aggressive player? Folding the river seems really bad to me.

Good luck!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with MettaGame - its an easy call in that spot and if he has AA or KK then good for him...its an unfortunate cooler that you really couldn't avoid. If he was truely TAG and a good player - he should have 4bet you with AA or KK considering he knows your image is loose and you may call his 4bet light or ship it in with a worse hand / underpair and get stacked. So for me, you already hold one ace, that blocks 3 combos of AA - half the combos available - so its less likely he has that, KK shouldn't flat a 3bet and neither should AA so i feel like its more likely for a good TAG to be flatting QQ, AK, or possibly he got stubborn and even flatted with KQ suited? Given the way the hand played the only thing i could imagine him having would be KK or AK - and from previous analysis, he shouldve 4bet KK so in that spot...you are really only losing to one hand, and that being said you only need to be right 50% of the time, easy call even if hes got the goods. Anyhow, maybe from his perspective - he puts you on a strong K, possibly an underpair, rivers 2 pr and tries to stack you. Somtimes even good TAG players make mistakes, misteps or wrong reads/plays - its not a super nitty fold especially if you have a deadset read on your opponent, but myself...i couldnt lay it down in that spot. Good luck, hope your future sessions go well :)

Last edited:
nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be a missed flushed but puts you on Kx. That’d be a terrible read from him since I think the only K you reraise with is KK and AK, but of which probably call his bluff. But I’ve seen players run that bluff on a K high board when A comes on the river.

If he’s a better player, then I don’t mind the fold

Folding in Poker