$200 NLHE Full Ring: AA vs 4 people to the flop!

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this is a live hand happened few days ago, and I am still struggling with what I should have done.

I have the biggest stack at the table as I won a hand with AA going all in several hands prior to this one.

2 limps pre, others fold to me on the BU where I got AA again.
I make it 20$ (don't ask about bet sizes, this is live cash game, there are no standard opening bets of 3x or w/e), SB calls, BB calls, one call from MP rest fold.

SB is a guy who quite rarely plays hands, but when he gets to showdown he really has a wide range of hands, that night I have seen him show 89s, AKo to the river, seems to go to the river if he is drawing, has something rather strong like overpairs, or TP regardless of the kicker.
BB plays any 2 cards, every single hand, if he connects with the board in any possible way, he makes big bets, goes all in etc.

Anyways, Flop is 653 rainbow, everyone checks to me, so I make it 70$ in position.
SB flat calls, BB goes all in 260$, MP folds.

I thought a long time and flat called his shove making the pot total of around 650$.
SB re-shoves his remaining 500$ stack, and that's where I really had to think it through about what to do.

I've put BB on any sort of pair+SD hand or just one pair hand, but SB re-shoving really had me thinking. If I call him and lose, I am returning to my starting stack which isn't too bad anyways.

What would you do in this spot, any thoughts?
Also, what about calling the BB shove? If he really has pair + SD then its 50-50 chance to win, and I am not even sure I should have mathematically call that...

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold. With top pair on the flop it is a mistake to pay all in for a player that you know plays very wide ranges.
With your hand, you do not block a ladder to your rivals, since in its BB range it could have: 7-8; 4-7; 5-4; 8-4; 2-4. I could also have a double pair like 5-6.
Regardless of your position, I think it would fold in this case.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this is a genuinely tough spot, and what I would actually do, would heavily depend on, what I thought about the two opponents. Its not really profitable to call out of the blinds against a 10BB raise, so its hard to say, what there ranges will look like here, since they should not even be in the hand to begin with.

I would probably bet a lot smaller on the flop to begin with. Its a fairly dangerous connected board, and there is a large risk it will end up with a 1-liner to a straight. So why not keep the pot a bit smaller and more manageable. My goal here is not to get stacks inside especially not against SB or the limper, if he was deep stacked as well.

As played I would make my decision, when BB jam and either fold or re-jam and simply go with the hand. By just calling you put half your stack in the middle, and its going to be really awkward, if SB give any kind of action, as in this case he did with a back-raise. You are getting like 4:1, so you only need around 20% equity, but at the same time SB can never be bluffing, since he still need to beat BB at showdown. You dont have 20% against sets, but if you can put anything else in his range, you probably have to hate life and call it off.

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the small blind rarely plays hands, I think you can assume he's probably not playing any two unless he randomly switched up his style for the hand. Given that, it seems unlikely that he connected with the flop better than you. The only thing that could be beating you is 56 which seems less likely than an overpair.

It does seem like a tough spot but I think I would call.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a tough spot. Given your description of SB and him check call/re-raising into 2 other people....you could be up against a myriad of hands from either of the blinds even as the BB check raised. I think you lay it down (maybe even after the BB check raises?!?!), begrudgingly and maybe taking a bathroom break after you see what they were holding. I put either of the blinds on made str8 or set. I don't think you played it bad at all up to that point with the possibility of folding to the 1st check raise. You just got out flopped. Happens. If it were just 2 of you?!? I'd likely call. But you gotta beat 2 hands now with an odd board that doesn't really help you and a lot of action.

Last edited:
Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the lot of you that this was a tough spot!
My thinking here was that BB could shove with a super wide range like even 52 or 62 or some 43 hand or similar, and I kinda had to call.

When the SB shoved like he did, I was thinking he has a set, like he couldnt have anything else. Regardless I made a call cause I now had to pay another 240/250$ to win 1100$ which are great odds if SB sometimes can have an over-pair or another pair+SD type of hand.

BB had 64 so TP+SD and SB had 66 so a set of 6s and I lost naturally (straight also didn't complete)

Now, later that evening, the player from the SB called again from the SB, I was now CO. Basically, same stuff, I made a bet pre with KK, he flat called from SB.
Flop QT5 (5hearts), I bet, he calls, HU to the turn which was 7 of hearts.

He checks, I shove, he calls. I showed KK, he shows 8h9h...

Knowing that he calls flops with gutshot SD, and then puts his money in on turn where he has an open ender and a FD, do you still feel that I have to fold most of the time in that AA spot?!

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So this is a live hand happened few days ago, and I am still struggling with what I should have done.

I have the biggest stack at the table as I won a hand with AA going all in several hands prior to this one.

I make it 20$ (don't ask about bet sizes, this is live cash game, there are no standard opening bets of 3x or w/e), SB calls, BB calls, one call from MP rest fold.

SB is a guy who quite rarely plays hands, but when he gets to showdown he really has a wide range of hands, that night I have seen him show 89s, AKo to the river, seems to go to the river if he is drawing, has something rather strong like overpairs, or TP regardless of the kicker.
BB plays any 2 cards, every single hand, if he connects with the board in any possible way, he makes big bets, goes all in etc.

Anyways, Flop is 653 rainbow, everyone checks to me, so I make it 70$ in position.

I thought a long time and flat called his shove making the pot total of around 650$.
SB re-shoves his remaining 500$ stack, and that's where I really had to think it through about what to do.

I've put BB on any sort of pair+SD hand or just one pair hand, but SB re-shoving really had me thinking. If I call him and lose, I am returning to my starting stack which isn't too bad anyways.

Also, what about calling the BB shove? If he really has pair + SD then its 50-50 chance to win, and I am not even sure I should have mathematically call that...
With a pot that big in 1/2 you either fold, or you jam. You cant just flat cause flatting allows SB to come over the top with any pair or darw....

Personally it comes down to if I think BB is bad enough to actually do this with less then 2 pair.... if he is, I'm jamming. If hes not I'm folding, and just getting up with what I have.... I sit down to play poker, not bingo. Since I'm up I'm gonna walk.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop sizing

Thanks for posting.

I think you can use more extreme bet sizing preflop in exactly this spot. 10x is not big for these players as shown. So why not 25x or 30x or $100 straight up?

Make the bet that gets you heads up vs the BB and happily get it all in post flop.

Hope this helps

:):)