$200 NLHE Full Ring: Is this a good play?

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
200 Effective
Im in MP with QQ - I open to 12.
Villain in SB 3-bets to 30.
I call.

[60] Flop 2 7 9
He bets 30
[I already think I am behind]
I min raise him to 60 to slow him down if he has KK or AA

[180] Turn 2 7 9 2
He checks, I check back

[180] River 2 7 9 2 J
He checks, I consider trying to take him off the hand by repping 2 pair or a set, but I think he is a station and wont fold- so I check back.

He wins with AA, I muck QQ

Do you think raising the flop was the right play? My intention was mostly to get to showdown cheaper, but in the past in spots like these I have turned my hand into a bluff [when I think I have fold equity].

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It shut him down pretty effectively and let you see the river card and his cards for free. Beyond that I just don't see much on the board that you could represent for a viable bluff that would have looked good enough for you to raise with on the flop.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about range of opponent? If he very tightly - good check river! But you raise on the flop... for what?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The raise on the flop allowed him to set mine for cheap on two streets. That's pretty much it. Did not strike.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player would of value betted the river there because you checked turn. I think you got off lightly here.
Min raises should be avoided, it's so obvious that it's a raise "to see where you are at" in the hand.
I spose you lost the minimum here so it worked on this occasion, but better players will see through this really easy.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good player would of value betted the river there because you checked turn. I think you got off lightly here.
Min raises should be avoided, it's so obvious that it's a raise "to see where you are at" in the hand.
I spose you lost the minimum here so it worked on this occasion, but better players will see through this really easy.

To be clear, it was absolutely NOT to "see where I was at." It was to freeze him. Almost all of the players at this game are tight passive. A preflop 3-bet is almost always AA KK AK QQ, and for that reason a checkraise almost always reps a nutted hand. The goal was to get to showdown cheap against AA/KK, and my plan was to turn my hand into a bluff, but I did not think I could get him to fold an overpair on this runout.

Against better players, 3-bets are more common for isolation, squeezing, ect. For that reason check raises arent always nutted hands, and the same strategy would not have worked.

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So well played...you could have lost a lot more...

With him checking the turn I think we fire here and decide again on river...as played you should have more sets than him

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
except min raise, it was a amazing read and pot control. you played well against a tight call station.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the min raise is the whole idea here. Invest the minimum to see 2 cards. I think its a solid play IF you think you will get paid if the Q hits. The fact that you decided not to bluff the river because you think he's a station says you think he will pay you if you hit. And you have showdown value, so getting to showdown cheap is great too. NH