$200 NLHE Full Ring: 99 vs Reraise

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing live at a 2/100 spread limit game. Most of the table was passive, with a few aggressive players thrown in.

I've played a number of pots, mostly in position, and have been sitting at the table for a couple hours at this point.

In early position I was dealt 99 and raised it to $6, which is my typical raise amount. Folds around to villian in late position who reraised to $20.

Villian is fairly tight passive, staying out of most pots, and majority of hands he does see he will limp/call. I have seen him limp/call preflop with TT.

I put villian on range of JJ+, AQs+, and AK for sure. Possibly as low as AJs+ and AQ+, but not as confident on that.

He has $160 remaining after his raise, and would be 90% to getting his stack in the middle on the flop.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you ask what to do vs a 3bet from villain? If he is passive overall, mostly preflop and you are oop then just fold it pre.

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend and I were discussing this hand after the fact, and we were at differing opinions so I was wanting to get more opinions. My thought process is at best I'm a coin flip vs AK/Q, or I am dominated by pairs. My friend is of the opinion that it's more likely he has AK/Q then a pair, so I should see flop then check fold if I miss, knowing if I hit, I can more than likely take villians stack

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So villain usually limp calls and here he 3bets you, but your friend thinks it is not a premium pair why?

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we assume AJs+ and AQ+, that gives 40 combinations, compared to 24 combinations of pairs

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was playing, I thought about the range I specified, but then went with the thought process that I'll call to the flop. If I hit, I will likely take his stack, if I miss easy fold.

Looking back I think this line was a mistake, friend said it was fine. I disagree, but wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't overlooking something

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What's your BR and stack at the time that this bet was made? I tend to look at calling 3bets by first comparing them to my stack size and my overall BR. I think either fold or call is fine in this situation. I would suspect he has QQ+ and if you hit the flop you'd likely get rewarded greatly with his betting lines that would follow. If $20 means nothing to you, I would say call.

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started the night with 600 in cash, giving me 3 bullets of $200 each.

I was on my third buy in. I reloaded twice when others at the table got rewarded for some iffy calls, but was starting to rebuild, probably was around 400 in chips at time of the hand.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call 3bet and if I don't flop a set then fold on the flop.
Your implied odds are good in this situation.

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems it's not a clear cut one or the other, there are arguments for both. Thanks for the replies

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's a tight passive, and you've seen him limp call Ts pre, why are you even bothering with this spot?
You'd basically be set mining here without the right odds oop.
Folding & moving on

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's a tight passive, and you've seen him limp call Ts pre, why are you even bothering with this spot?
You'd basically be set mining here without the right odds oop.
Folding & moving on

That's what I was thinking when going over the hand later.

At the table I went with the thought process that if I hit, I will likely take his stack. I called to see the flop. Flop came 9 high, ended up getting his entire stack in the middle and he turned over QQ, and I was able to take down the pot.

Trying not to be result oriented, and why I was discussing the hand going while yes I won, that was more of getting lucky with a mistake than making the right long term decision.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here, I think I would call to see what he does on the flop and to see what the flop texture because pocket 99 is definitely one of the pair that I would defend a 3bet; because if you fold this pair, you are going to be exploited by other players at the table. Folding is out of the question, I like a Call here.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here, I think I would call to see what he does on the flop and to see what the flop texture because pocket 99 is definitely one of the pair that I would defend a 3bet; because if you fold this pair, you are going to be exploited by other players at the table. Folding is out of the question, I like a Call here.

disagree. if you are on tight ranges like here vs tight passive player then you exploit him by folding, not by calling and playing vs his top range. Passive players exploit yourself by playing tight on cash games and when they 3bet you,then your best adjustment is not giving them action when they finally wake up.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first reaction would be to call but the more I think about it the more I like folding. It's very unlikely that he's bluffing and taking advantage of his table image so your hand is automatically behind. It's also unlikely you'll hit your set so you're just gambling on the flop at this point. Definitely not the actions of a great poker player. Other things to consider would be your current stack and your risk tolerance.